ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how long do you leave your..

CLIO 172 CUP....
now i have always started my cars up in the morning and left it to warm up befor driving to work for about 5-10min and when i get in the car the temp is most of the time on the half so it well warmed up ready to go..:approve:... but in the renault manual i got with my car the other day i was reading tho it as i was abit bord and notice it said...dont leave car to warm up just get in it and drive straight away...

any one let ther car warm up and how long for...

and why is renault saying not to let it warm up surly it not gonna damage it isit..

i heard somewhere it was "bad" to let your car warm up but i really couldnt see any issues with this, i mean in this weather you have no choice

172 Ph1, Lupo GTI
Cars warm up faster when being driven normally so its better for the car. Personally I just get in and drive.

CLIO 172 CUP....
i have to say tho geting into the cup and driving it from warm is alot better than driving it from cold. cause driving from cold it feel crap and lumpy.

Don't at all.

Jump straight in and take it easy until its naturally warmed up. The limiter is lower when cold anyway.

Ben

ClioSport Club Member
My car is really struggling in this weather, I have as much ice on the inside as I do the outside and its not been wanting to start these last few mornings!

As long as it takes me to fasten my seat belt and then about a minute or as long as it takes me to scrape the windows and fasten my seatbelt.

Letting it sit is a waste of fuel too.

imprezaworks

ClioSport Club Member
  Mk5 Golf GTI :)
On a temp gauge note. On my ph1 what should it read when hot? Im asking as i cant ever recall it going to half. More like inbetween a qurater and the half mark

Dan

Trophy, Audi TT,
Its bad to let a car tick over cold... the reason is its on choke (eg the ECU is chucking in more fuel) so a nice rich mixture is petrol washing the bores....

secondly, on tick over, the crank is not spinning enough to get some splash going and fling some oil up on the bores, both of these things lead to bore wear.

Many years ago I worked at a fleet depot with almost a 1000 vehicles. It was common to find some guy leave a vehicle ticking over in his haste to get away on a Friday night... On a Monday the vehicle would have run out of fuel and the battery would be flat.... Many times It would never start again as it would be so low on compression due to bore wear!!!

tick over is bad for cars, petrol and diesel, especially petrol!

CLIO 172 CUP....
kaneryantipping...may cause thay are not as sad as you mate....

dose it really matter about how i spell may be im not that good at it but at least i try.....U MUG.

Ibiza SC
start the car, whack lights on and heaters and then get out to scrape the ice off, as soon as its clear i get in and drive

LY 200
I get in and drive (although never past 3k until 15/20 mins in).

Unless its turbo'd why bother!?

if its really icy warm it for 5min before i leave normally let it idle for a min before i leave an turn it off driven gently till its warm (its got a turbo):eek:

CLIO 172 CUP....
in winter i think it best to warm up a little bit cause it abit colder even if it for a second or so..

Matt_90

ClioSport Club Member
  Sprint/climb 106 gti
Get in put heater on, Turn on heated windscreen, drive off after a few minutes with my fingers remainig nice and warm :D

182 FF (Black Gold)
Jump in, handbrake off pop it into first, bounce it off the limiter when cold, its lower so you hit hit it sooner!!! Whack it into second do the same and bounce it off the limiter again as its cold reaches it quicker and hold it a 6000+ revs in second for the hole journey to work. Tis how I get it warm. ;) :rasp:

(I hold no responsibility for damaged engines)

Peugeot 308
I've got a knack, I start the car and wait for the oil check on the dash to clear (about 20/30secs) then drive until its warm under 3k

In my heap, I leave the throttle alone until the idle settles. Usually about twenty seconds. Then I'm off. In winter, it automatically defrosts everything for me according to the outside temperature anyway. Heated windscreen FTW! Loads of cracks and pops from the exhaust when being driven cold. Epic. Although I'm using 102RON petrol out here, which is pretty serial.

The Clio always ran like a stack of old s**t when it was cold. Even in warm weather it was rubbish.

F56 MINI Cooper S
Let it warm up whilst Im scraping the ice off, by this time (about 10mins) i get in and drive off.

Monaco 172 + mk1 RSi
i leave mine till the temp gauge moves then drive slow or low rpm till the temp goes up some more

jamie

kaneryantipping...may cause thay are not as sad as you mate....

dose it really matter about how i spell may be im not that good at it but at least i try.....U MUG.

It doesnt bother me in the slightest, im just saying because its full of grammar geeks on here that constantly moan about spelling and the likes of their/there/they're etc.... U c**t

Fiesta ST-3
Same as most here, get in and drive until up to temp. Or I get in, smack the lights on start the car then de ice etc.

clio 172
I normally wait a min to let a bit of oil get round then drive. I did hear leaving it running to warm up was bad for it.