ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

how do you know when spark plugs need changing?

Megane 225 F1
for a few weeks now my car seems to be a bit jumpy when acceleratingfrom low revs in low gears ( if i slow right down and im in 2nd it judders until i get past 2k, and does it with 3rd sometimes aswell). spoken to a few people and some have suggested bad batch of petrol (i have had 3 lots of petrol since it started so it cant be this). others say it might be a fialed spark plug. how do i know if this is the case?

330i. E30 Touring.
Take them out, one at a time, and plug them into the HT leads. Keep your hands well away and turn the key. Should be a blue spark. You'll notice if one is different to the others.

If they plugs have done some mileage (50,000+ or less if you're picky) just change them as a matter of course. The test described above isn't very accurate to determine their condition, it's a good test to check that cylinder's/HT cable for a working spark/ignition circuit though. The plug may spark fine in the open but under compression inside the engine it might be weak but you'd never tell by "testing" it IMO.

200bhp 172 cup
for the sake of a few quid get some new spark plugs but do not goto renault for them unless your a rich man! 22 notes each i believe

Evo 8 MR
Basically when you take them out if they have surface rust like mine did you know it's time for a new set otherwise it's entirely up to you but considering the cost of them it's worth doing to eliminate the spark plugs being the cause.