ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

How do the 197's hold up on track?

Audi A5
As above, how do they hold up reliability wise?

Main thing I'm concerned about is the gearboxes?

any experiences?

N0ddie

ClioSport Club Member
  Tesla Model 3
Gearboxes are the weak link. I've had ours replaced on our 200 (Which has the same box as the majority of 197s).

Though folk have had gearboxes replaced on their Clios that have never seen a track. Everything else is up to the task really.

Audi A5
Serious track car or just a one off trackday?

Im thinking of just the odd day or two, with the clio in pretty much standard form.

Gearboxes are the weak link. I've had ours replaced on our 200 (Which has the same box as the majority of 197s).

Though folk have had gearboxes replaced on their Clios that have never seen a track. Everything else is up to the task really.

Just as I thought then, aren't the 200 boxes suppose to have been tweaked slightly to improve reliability?

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
I think the brakes need to be looked after.

I was speaking to BigAsh about his and I remember him telling me he had quite a large bill to fix the brakes after he tracked his 197. Can't remember which bit exactly he said though.

Audi A5
I think the brakes need to be looked after.

I was speaking to BigAsh about his and I remember him telling me he had quite a large bill to fix the brakes after he tracked his 197. Can't remember which bit exactly he said though.

yeah I was wondering about this, at first you think yeah their be fine having four pots but then you've got to remember its got that extra weight to stop. Maybe a set of 2500's are in order.

sbridgey

ClioSport Club Member
  disco 4, 182, Meglio
yeah I was wondering about this, at first you think yeah their be fine having four pots but then you've got to remember its got that extra weight to stop. Maybe a set of 2500's are in order.

I am not sure it was pads, seem to remember it being a caliper issue. But to say James does drive quite hard is an understatement!