ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Horrible noises and loss of revs... any clues?

RS 172
After taking a mate to the local factors yesterday i pulled away gave it a little bit of beans but nothing to excessive coming away then slowed for the traffic ahead. As i slowed down the car just lost all revs and the engine cut out, so turned the key, engine started no problem carried on driving up the road and it happened again, i could hear an awful rattle coming from under the bonnet, as i only live round the corner i thought i would get the car home and have a look there. Got it home after it cutting out a few more times. So instead of just turning the key i bumped it and it started again fine but then lost all rev's as soon as i took my foot off the pedal.

Got it home and it just wouldn't start at all so called the RAC out, first off the RAC bloke said it was just the battery as it was only showing 6v when i turned he key. Then got it started and he heard the rattle, with the bonnet open it was quite a bit louder. The noise sounds like it is coming from inside the head and it looks like there is oil getting out of the head from somewhere.
I sent it off to the main dealers on the back of a low loader and have been told they will either look at it today or tomorrow morning.
Nothing like main dealer urgency!

Just wanted to know if anyone could shed any light or give me some ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks!

Clio 1.8 8v RSi
After taking a mate to the local factors yesterday i pulled away gave it a little bit of beans but nothing to excessive coming away then slowed for the traffic ahead. As i slowed down the car just lost all revs and the engine cut out, so turned the key, engine started no problem carried on driving up the road and it happened again, i could hear an awful rattle coming from under the bonnet, as i only live round the corner i thought i would get the car home and have a look there. Got it home after it cutting out a few more times. So instead of just turning the key i bumped it and it started again fine but then lost all rev's as soon as i took my foot off the pedal.

Got it home and it just wouldn't start at all so called the RAC out, first off the RAC bloke said it was just the battery as it was only showing 6v when i turned he key. Then got it started and he heard the rattle, with the bonnet open it was quite a bit louder. The noise sounds like it is coming from inside the head and it looks like there is oil getting out of the head from somewhere.
I sent it off to the main dealers on the back of a low loader and have been told they will either look at it today or tomorrow morning.
Nothing like main dealer urgency!

Just wanted to know if anyone could shed any light or give me some ideas as to what it might be?

Thanks!

Sounds pretty much like the same problem as me....head gasket gone!

RS 172
It looked like it could have been coming from the back of the rocker cover. But there was also some fresh oil round the front of the engine again just along the front of the rocker cover.

williams 2 turbo
id say head gasket. it probably cut out due to water getting in to piston chamber.

did you check under the oil filler cap. if you did and it was full of mayo, then definately a head gasket gone.

BMW M135i
Wouldn't have thought head gasket as it wouldn't rattle etc. Wonder if its blown a plug? Has happened to a few people.

RS 172
I didn't check under the oil filler cap so i don't know about that.

It sounds simiar to the noise in the video but not as constant.

It has been at the dealers all day but hey haven't looked at it yet, I've been told it will be looked at in the morning.

RS 172
Just been told the main dealer are having a look now.
Has anyone else got any suggestions or thoughts as to what it might be?
I'm going to to go down and have a look once they have told me what they think is up!

RS 172
The dealer have said it was miss firing and that has damaged the cat, i'm not to worried about the cat at the moment as i can get that sorted elsewhere after, but the noise is coming from inside the head, they said possibly the cam shafts. So they need to take the head off to investigate further. They want £500 for the pleasure of doing this! Don't really think i have much more choice other than to let them get on with it!

williams 2
its the inlet pully mate dont let them take the head off/apart!

my guess anyway but ive been right a few times now just recently!

RS 172
ok cheers, how is the best way to explain this to the kind gent on the service reception?

williams 2
ITS THE INLET PULLY, ILL GET ONE SECOND HAND THANKS AND GET IT FITTED MY SELF!!

THANKS ANYWAY YOU USELESS PRICK!!

RS 172
Is it an easyish fix then? Where is the inlet pulley? My know how on engines is ok but limited to say the least!

williams 2
It is one of the cam pullys. The one on the front of the engine. The back is the exhaust cam. worst case it should be £95+vat for the pully and then 3 hrs to fit. Cambelt should be ok to use again but id change it again if it was mine!

hope that helps!

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
If that what went on mine it's the same as a snapped cambelt, get it sorted ASAP!

RS 172
They have said they are going to look at the pully and give me a call back. But typically they can't look at it straight away!
The guy working on it isn't in tomorrow so they have told me if it's not done today it won't be till monday now!

RS 172
Yeah i know, seems a bit of a joke! The timing was so wrong too! It happened 3 hours before i was due to leave for the england game at wembley then yesterday i was meant to be travelling up to up north to see some family, really fucked up my week off!

If i had more time i would have taken it somewhere else but it just happened out of the blue and they were the best place closest to me, i know some of the guys up there through work so have asked them to take special care of it! Just keeping my fingers crossed now!

RS 172
Well after a weekend of waiting i got a phone call this morning to tell me that a bolt from the cam belt casing had broken off inside the casing and hit the cam belt damaging it and causing it to jump and knock the timing completely out which caused the misfire thus damaging the cat! Luckily there was no damage to valves or any other parts inside the engine! I've opted out of getting the cat done at the dealers as i can get it a lot cheaper elsewhere but they are going to be putting a new cambelt kit on there, new plugs and said they have to replace a core plug and another plug that were also damaged. Costing a fortune at the dealers but managed to wangle some discount out of them!
Is there anything else that anyone would recomend me getting replaced whilst they have the engine in pieces?

Thanks.