ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

horrible creaking noise on 182

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
It's been getting worse and worse

The best way to describe it is a loud creaking noise from the front possibly passenger side when turning the wheels, breaking, going over bumps

How do you know when the cv joint is going? About a year ago the cover went on the passenger side so s**t could have got in etc

In my experience CV joints rumble.
Its likely to be your top suspension mounts. Not the end of the World.

I'm sure someone will be along shortly to tell you how to sort it.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
Done top mount and put that special washer in so it's not that

Wonder if I can record the sound, let me see

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
The noise right at the start of the video sounds like creaking

[video=youtube_share;GSyRPnmTNfM]http://youtu.be/GSyRPnmTNfM[/video]

That does sound bad.

You do seem to be wrestling the wheel. Has the steering got heavier?

ETA. Have you checked all the gaitors on the CVs, rack and track rod ends. Checked for anything that is loose under there?

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
it didn't record very well, trust me when I say I can easily hear it over the engine.

I was only wrestling cos I had my phone in one had and was just manoeuvring on the drive and change gear

cv checked and fine and had a track rod end done about 6 months ago

That does sound bad.

You do seem to be wrestling the wheel. Has the steering got heavier?

ETA. Have you checked all the gaitors on the CVs, rack and track rod ends. Checked for anything that is loose under there?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
how sure are you of that?

the noise only happens and slow speeds never when going over 30mph and general driving

but some times you can hear it when breaking to a stop and turning the wheel

Wishbone bushes shot

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok thanks, is there any way to checking them?

got a part number?

any info on replacing?

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
to be honest ive no idea what the Wishbone bushes are or where they are located.

I best do some forum searching

Clio 182 arctic
I had a similar creaking noise when turning the wheel on my 1.2. bottom ball joint it turned out to be?

I had a similar creaking noise when turning the wheel on my 1.2. bottom ball joint it turned out to be?

Have to agree with this ^ it sound more like a dry outer ball joint to me. Quite cheap to replace separately... but new complete wishbones from renault will come with the outer balljoint and the inner bushes. So although fred seems 99% sure of it being the bushes (I don't think its the bushes that are at fault) if you're hedging your bets then getting the whole wishbones will make quite a bit of sense :)

Last edited:

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok cool thanks, am going to get a price for wisebone thursday

got any info on outer ball joint?
im happy to just replace whatever has gone

Many.
Want me to have a quick look at some point soon buddy? Could well be the outer balljoint shagged, or wishbone bushes as Fred said. Both things that popped into my head apon first post.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
ok had the chance today for a proper play

took the wheel off and disconnected the suspension from behind the brake disk.

wobbling everything around as much as possible and could hear or feel any issues.

DSC_1210_zps2bner8pe.jpg

DSC_1211_zpsmmxkt4tw.jpg

DSC_1206_zpsoxbdr4fw.jpg

DSC_1207_zpskt6t67jn.jpg

sprayed all 4 joins with WD40 and noise has gone.

so seems it just one of the joins

Mine does exactly the same mate. Ive been told it could be top strut mounts on their way out. so ill be changing mine soon hope it fixes the problem.

*** just noticed you seem to have solved this, so ill give that a go at weekend and see if it helps mine***

Mine does exactly the same mate. Ive been told it could be top strut mounts on their way out. so ill be changing mine soon hope it fixes the problem.

*** just noticed you seem to have solved this, so ill give that a go at weekend and see if it helps mine***

What he did wasn't a fix. It might have helped identify where the problem was if he was systematic about it, but only he will know that and it sounds like its not going to be much help in that respect. It really does sound like a dry outer ball joint to me, when the gaitor splits due to age they allow water in and the grease out - in the summer months this means a very dry joint and hence the creaking... it will only get worse.

Andy_con

ClioSport Club Member
  clio 182
correct, not a fix just a way to try work out whats causing the problem.

im going to just get a new wishbone and be done with it

Clio 182 sport
sorry bumping a really old thread here did you ever sort this out completely as ive got the same issue atm