ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Honda Civic 2.2 CDTI Type S

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Thought i would get a thread up for the new daily. Purchased it yesterday and so far so good. I have a couple of jobs to do and already done my first mod! I will post some pictures from the for sale advert.

Job list

Fix water leak in boot
Replace alternator belt and possibly pulleys/tensioner
Look into possible clunk/knock from rear when pulling away/changing gear
CLEAN
Maybe replace drivers seat/armrest
Fit double din adaptor so i can put my stereo in

Im sure there will be other little bits that i want to do as i go on.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg
7.jpg

First mod, need the lock nut tho.

20190127_134229.jpg
20190127_134501.jpg

Started to strip out the rear and found the puddle, sadly the weather went against me so i had to stop before i could finish stripping the interior.

20190127_140558.jpg

Swift Sport
Nice motor, I like the colour. The boot leak is probably something simple like a tail light or a seal. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll ask my mate for advice.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Nice motor, I like the colour. The boot leak is probably something simple like a tail light or a seal. Let me know if you have any issues and I'll ask my mate for advice.

Cheers, i have been doing some digging on civinfo and online etc. I have a post saved that @Danith was involved in. I think its probably coming from the cracked seam sealer at the rear or the roof gutters, but i need to strip the rest of the interior out and test first.

Danith

ClioSport Club Member
  MX5 ND2/220 Trophy
Nice. Fyi a quick check you can do with the clunk on rear is to shake the back box.

That's what mines been doing and driving me nuts. It's the rear rubber mount, they seem to wear and knock against the metal on the exhaust/chassis mounts. Also rear hear shields are prone to it

How you finding the ride?!

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Nice. Fyi a quick check you can do with the clunk on rear is to shake the back box.

That's what mines been doing and driving me nuts. It's the rear rubber mount, they seem to wear and knock against the metal on the exhaust/chassis mounts. Also rear hear shields are prone to it

How you finding the ride?!

Yer i did read about that, i will have to give it a check. Its only slight but still enough for me to pick up on it. (i have been driving with no stereo to listen out for any noises lol)

Ride is firm, but its not too bad. I can't imagine a Type R would be worse. I like the steering nice and direct, seems to have lots of grip on the front end.

Same mod as mine.
Same boot leak too.

FYI your air con won't be working.

Funnily enough it does work.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Is the clicking/clunk noise not subframe click which plagues the MK8 civic?

I bought some subframe collars from Tegiwa.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member

I think it's coming from the rear rather than the front, going to check the exhaust like Danith said as it's free and quick to do.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep

Tell me more, mine does my absolute c**t in. Not that I've investigated but I figured it was either top mounts or a dry bush down by the wishbone area. Nothing is worn anyway.

Look nice, and much nicer than the silver aerodeck you went to look at!
Please don't drive it like every other Type S driver out there (a complete spanner) who thinks he's got something to prove because they didn't buy the Type R.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Look nice, and much nicer than the silver aerodeck you went to look at!
Please don't drive it like every other Type S driver out there (a complete spanner) who thinks he's got something to prove because they didn't buy the Type R.

I wont be driving like that, my view is there is a time and place. Unless something urgent is going on. I have no interest in the FN Type R, i'm more interested in tidying it up, doing the little jobs and keeping my clutch/flywheel in one piece.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Looks like the Skoda is going to sell very quickly. I have priced it keenly to just cut my losses and had lots of messages. One guy wants to come from Preston tomorrow to view it.

sburrell93

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Looks good this. I loved mine when I had it, but only when it worked...

Owned it less than a year had to replace the glow plugs, glow plug module, AC compressor relay, and two injector seals all at under 60k miles. The air con evaporator behind the dash also liked to freeze over in cold weather and block all heat from the blower. And my clutch slipped for half my ownership lol.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Looks good this. I loved mine when I had it, but only when it worked...

Owned it less than a year had to replace the glow plugs, glow plug module, AC compressor relay, and two injector seals all at under 60k miles. The air con evaporator behind the dash also liked to freeze over in cold weather and block all heat from the blower. And my clutch slipped for half my ownership lol.

Yer i know there are quite a few common issues, but luckily civinfo has most of them covered so im not too worried. Mine has been looked after so i'm hoping its going to be more reliable.

I just popped out to Euros to get my new alternator belt, got some fuel cleaner and an M10 nut to lock my gearknob in the right place. As you can see the alternator belt is not long for this world. Hopefully i have the right belt as i don't trust Euros and it would be a nightmare if it was wrong!

@Danith i grabbed the exhaust and gave it a good shake, doesn't look like it's knocking on anything. Any other ideas? I would like to take the car somewhere to have a good check over also to make sure its not a complete lemon, any recommendations.

20190128_133646.jpg
20190128_133644.jpg
20190128_133835.jpg
20190128_134234.jpg

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Find the cause of that belt wear mate as it'll only do it to the new one.

Yer from what i could see top side it's only done it to part of the belt. When i change it tonight i'll have to dig around and see if it catches anywhere. I think im probably going to have to change the pulleys as well as they sound like a roller skate.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
I have just spoken to Farhad at Premier Tuning and he is local to me today, so if he has time he is going to pop in and give the car the once over. This would put my mind at rest big time to make sure i haven't got a lemon engine wise.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So Farhad from Premier tuning came over to my work, plugged in the Honda diag and ran turbo tests, injector tests fuel rail tests, egr test, swirl flap, tests ac tests pretty much everything and it was all good. No problem codes or anything. He said the engine was sweet. The only problem I have is a slight crack in exhaust manifold so he said if I contact Honda gb they might replace it for free. If not then it shouldn't be too bad price wise to sort. We did blank the egr and up and the power and it has very slight clutch slip but it's self adjusting so if it doesn't sort itself out it will go back to standard and probably just keep egr delete as that makes a nice difference by itself. I will give the belt fit a go later on tonight.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Yer that's right, I just changed the aux belt that was a bit of a b**ch! Hour and a half later lol.

I'm going to keep the map on for a week if my clutch is the same with a little slip straight back to standard. Then if the clutch does die on me I can replace and go for the map again. Going to keep the egr delete tho as that's made a nice difference.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Just booked my car in with Honda tomorrow, they are going to confirm the exhaust manifold crack and then hopefully Honda UK will pay for the replacement/upgraded part.

I checked my belt this morning after driving to work and i can see its a bit dirty on one side, i can't see it rubbing anywhere tho so not sure why that's happening.

Al_G

ClioSport Club Member
  Honda S2000, C63
Yer that's right, I just changed the aux belt that was a bit of a b**ch! Hour and a half later lol.

I'm going to keep the map on for a week if my clutch is the same with a little slip straight back to standard. Then if the clutch does die on me I can replace and go for the map again. Going to keep the egr delete tho as that's made a nice difference.

Must shift...Probably quicker than a FN2 in 99% of situations.

I swapped out my wing mirror indicators yesterday. £100 for the set - rip off.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So car was dropped off to Honda today, just had a call and confirmation the exhaust is cracked.

They spoke to Honda UK who would be willing to cover the cost of the parts, but not labour and it's £500 in labour :(

R3k1355

Absolute wetter.
ClioSport Club Member
Whats the cost of the parts though??

cos if the maifold/turbo is coming off you think about if the turbo needs a recon (not that you'd ask Honda to do that) and if thats happening why not get a billet compressor wheel.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Parts are probably 3/400. At this stage im not looking to upgrade the turbo.

If the turbo is leaking im sure Honda will let me know, however when we checked the vanes were working and it was able to hold boost with the Honda diag machine it all came back clear.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So slight update, i took the map off the car last night and kept the EGR delete. The clutch is alot better for it and i can live with the stock power. The problem isn't the clutch is worn, its a design fault in the pressure plate.

Any who i have called Honda UK also to fight the extortionate £500 labour costs the dealer told me it will be, i think they are just keeping some of the money given to them from Honda and trying to rip me off. Head office is due to get in contact so i'm hoping that i will get a result today before the car goes in.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Is this potentially turning into a bigger money pit than the outgoing Skoda?

Aside from wanting a new car, would it not in hindsight of been better to chuck the money into the car you owned?

Just myself bought a sub 2k car and other than my expectations at the price point, i took ages finding one as the money pit aspect was always in the back of my mind.

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
Is this potentially turning into a bigger money pit than the outgoing Skoda?

Aside from wanting a new car, would it not in hindsight of been better to chuck the money into the car you owned?

Just myself bought a sub 2k car and other than my expectations at the price point, i took ages finding one as the money pit aspect was always in the back of my mind.

I know what you are saying and it did cross my mind, but i didn't want to invest in the Skoda as i didn't really enjoy driving it tbh. The Civic is far superior in pretty much every way and if the only money i have to spend is the manifold and then just maintenance im happy.

Reactions: RDH

Rojer

ClioSport Club Member
So exhaust manifold was done yesterday by Honda, haven't smelt any fumes and sounds a bit quieter. The leak seems to be fixed aswell so just need to clean the interior and put it back in.

Sadly the backbox has started rattling badly on idle, @Danith do you know what exhaust rubber it would need as there are loads lol.