ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

home LAN issue

ValverInBits
Heres my setup:

Netgear ADSL wireless router > 1 RJ45 LAN cable run upstairs > 1 old D-Link 10/100 switch > 2 computers (inc mine) and a PS3

Often when I boot up, My PC tries to connect to the LAN, very quickly flashes 'limited or no connectivity', then returns to network cable uplugged > Then starts that process again (cycling round once every 3-5 seconds).

My housemates PC (running the same motherboard) does not have this problem.

I use a static-IP, but the problem continues with DHCP.
Resetting the Router+Switch+PC normally does not fix the issue
I normally have to switch off all 3, then start router, then switch, then PC and then wait around 20 mins for it to sort itself out.

WTF is going on? Is it the switch? is it my On-Board LAN?
Any help really appreciated.

182FF with cup packs
It sounds like an issue between your PC and the switch.

If the other PC and the PS3 doesn't have the issue then I would try the following.

1) Change the switch port you are using, maybe it's dodgy
2) Change the cable you're using
3) Plug the not working PC directly into the netgear (use the cable that you connect to the d-link switch)

If none of these fix the issue then it pretty much sounds like your LAN port is buggered.

Having said tht, you don't do anything silly like that PC is connected via wireless and wired?

ValverInBits
No, nothing silly like that mate.

Thanks for the input. I was wondering if it was a common issue really. But I think your right, it's possibly my motherboard LAN adapter. I've tried changing cables and switch ports :( Cheers anyway

182FF with cup packs
When you are having issues connecting, take a look at the LAN port on your PC.

1) Is the (usually) left hand light lit ? This is usaually the link light which comes on when there is a physical electrical connection
2) Is the link light on the switch a different colour to all of the other lights when you ahve connection difficulties?

But all in all it does sound like a LAN port issue. Only other thing I can think of looking at, is if the link light changes once you boot into windows (i.e. when windows loads the driver up it does something strange to it and disconnects it). as when you first turn the PC on then you should at least get a physcal connection and the link lights comming on.

1 Series Coupe
Open Command line (Run, cmd) and type:

ping 127.0.0.1

This will test the loopback address to verify that TCP/IP is installed and configured on your PC.

Matt