ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

High Mileage F4R's...... Oil Consumption??

E36 M3. 182
Jumped in my 182 today and as per usual, checked the oil indication before starting it up. Recently its shown 1 dash and the rest 'o's which equates to just below the max mark on the dipstick, but above halfway between 'max' and 'min'. Today however, it was showing only 2 'o's and the rest dashes. The car was parked up a kerb with the passenger side higher than drivers, so I started it up and drove to some flat road to see if the indication changed.
I pulled up, stopped and turned off the engine, gave it a few seconds then turned the ignition to the first position to check the level again, It was the same on the readout, so I decided to drive it to the nearest garage to get the oil moving, then give it a good few minutes to settle properly and check the dipstick.
On checking again, the dipstick level was bang in the middle of the 'max and 'min' marks, and the in car display read only 2 dashes, one more than usual. I concluded that over the last 2000 miles or so since the last oil change, the oil level had dropped by 2 'dashes' Adding 0.5 of a litre took the level back to the max mark on the dipstick and no dashes on the display.
So, bearing in mind the cars done 139000 miles, would it be reasonable to expect 0.5L / 2000miles worth of consumption, or would it point to an underlying fault within the engine???

that sort of oil burn is low realy however there must bbe something burning or loosing oil assuming you haven't a small leak then throught the valves or the rings etc.

I wouldn't be to worried Renault spec was 1 lter per 1k although work would have beeen done with a car burning half that

E36 M3. 182
Nowt to worry about then?? I keep a little top up bottle velcro'd to the tyre kit in the boot just incase......

Nowt to worry about then?? I keep a little top up bottle velcro'd to the tyre kit in the boot just incase......
Worth keeping an eye on the burn and ask the garage when it goes in to haver a quick look but for the cost to fix if its valver or rings its not worth paying to get it fixed.

Assume you do 12k a year then its only say £30 a year fixing it depends what wrong could cost a lot more than that.

There something wrong prpbably though

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
thats lower oil usage than renault say is acceptable for a new car. To judge how good or bad it is in your case would depend how you drive really. Thrashing the engine causes higher oil usage. Also worth investigating for leaks (most commonly the rocker cover, or the sump gasket)

Arctic Blue 182ff
1 litre per 1k... seriously!??

My 182 uses a tiny amount. It came as a bit of a shock to me to be honest, as my old S14a @ 300hp didn't use a drop.

E36 M3. 182
To be honest, it sees 6k at least once during any drive of a decent length, not sure if that constitutes a thrashing, but i've not had it on track. I think the previous owner may have though......

1 litre per 1k... seriously!??

My 182 uses a tiny amount. It came as a bit of a shock to me to be honest, as my old S14a @ 300hp didn't use a drop.
Yep thats the riule but anything over hald that thay would have looked at.

Some engine do and some don't use any its the way it is.