ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HID Xenon's Kits

Renault Clio Dynamique
Can they go into the standard head lights?

12344lmf3.gif

Someone told me if they aren't projector therefore using hid's is illegal, is this true?

retrofitting HID's in your car with Halogen lenses is illegal, yes.

The light will bounce around all over the lense and be omitted at lots of funny angles, therefore blinding all other road users.

vers le haut doigt milieu
they may be illegal. The only MOT requirement is if a car comes standard from the manufacture with xenon's it must have washer jets (reason I don't know!?), as long as the light coming out the front is white and not too powerful (there are a variant of halogens which are overpowered and not legal) then they will be fine. I can't remember what the maximum luminance is for road cars but search online for it, most HID kits are not over this. Please also remember a xenon arc lamp will only produce light daylight (i.e between 5000 and 6000K) so any bluer bulbs are just normal xenon's dipped in blue paint.

E92 M3
yes a done them in mine and i didnt get flashed at once so they couldnt ov been that bright so just do it lol

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Ive got them on mine and had not probs with a m.o.t!
I do get alot of people flashing me though.

Do it!

ST

Do it!

Hmm you must have them pointing all over the place then...my HID's on my 197 are set pretty low and they are both nearly perfect on light scatter and level as i set them on the bars that run across my garage doors.

Renault Clio Dynamique
I've heard people saying that I will need new projector headlights or something.

Also how much are HIDs for a 04 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2?

AK

M240i
Hmm you must have them pointing all over the place then...my HID's on my 197 are set pretty low and they are both nearly perfect on light scatter and level as i set them on the bars that run across my garage doors.

Hi ;)

I've got a set in mine and they seem alright . . .

Last edited:
  Coilovered Clio Dynamique
I had a set in my car, got flashed just once or twice in the 6 months I had them in! I loved them and the police never questioned them!

FN2 Type R GT
Hid's are normally around 50-70 pounds, depends if you get an ebay one or not, there was a guy on here a while ago that did a group buy, have them in mine and dont get flashed unless i have them on the highest setting, ive got 6k which look quite blue/white, good colour imo.
Fitting can be done without taking the front bumper off but i would suggest taking it off as its a lot easier once you can get the light out

M/

Renault Clio Dynamique
I was thinking of going for a 8k one but don't have a clue what all the 35w and 55w crap and that is about. Could someone point me to a good UK based business?

im sure for xenons get the 35w ones and go for under 6000k colour temp. 55w are the same wattage as normal hallogens so im sure they will be too bright.

M4 LCI, X1, ZX10R
I got a set on my 225 and checked the beam when it was in the garage for a service and it looks fine and level.

The problems are when you headlights switch from dipped the full beam using the same bulb. HID kits don't work well then.

S2000
If you are still looking for a set drop me a PM - they aren't full for once :) I've got some H7's in stock just now in various colours, good quality and come with full fitting instructions. Prices aren't bad either at the moment....... ;-)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Been thinking about this myself.

Was looking at a kit that supplied 'H7R' bulbs, which are basically HID bulbs that can be used in reflector headlights.

£107 was a bit steep for me though.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi

Do it!

+1

get flashed a number of time about mine, their 8k;) blue ish but bright as fook :D best mod tbh ..

only problem i have found is with the passenger side 1, i tends to fall out, does my head in as you cant touch the bulb...

I put them in mine and used the leveller in the car at number 2 and nobody flashed me. They are still illegal though :)

If they're not moving up and down when you move the switch the adjusters on the headlights may be fooked/not connected properly.

Astra 1.9Cdti SRi
If they're not moving up and down when you move the switch the adjusters on the headlights may be fooked/not connected properly.

Il get a pic ov mine, its like a transformer pack that connects to the original bulb holder than another leads off to the Headlamp, complicated il get a pic 2moz :)

BMW 330ci Clubsport
I've heard people saying that I will need new projector headlights or something.

Also how much are HIDs for a 04 Renault Clio Dynamique 1.2?
Projector headlights have a "bowl" around the bulb to direct the light.
The Angel Eye ones you linked are projector headlights so you should be fine!

Last edited:
  172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Im a little confused now, If i was to buy a conversion pack for my 172 what would i need? .. Basically whats the difference between h2, h3, h4 etc etc. And im guessing 6k is the best all around colour?

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
You'll need a H7 kit.

6K is probably the best balance between colour and actual light brightness.

4.3k is the brightest but gives a white light.

6k gives a little more blue light

8k is not as bright but gives a deep blue xenon look.

Mate has an 8k on his golf and it looks the dogs, really interested in getting a kit for myself.

172 CUP, Old skool Mini
Cheers bud! does the h7 has high and low beam? As Ive seen this kit "h4 hi/lo bi xenon" and got even more confuzzled!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
No the H7 is the dipped beam mate. Think the H4 is for the both of them, but somebody said earlier in the thread that they are the bulbs that could cause the light sctatter in reflector headlights?

Not well up on the H4 bulbs sorry pal.

Polo + Micra
the lights that only really suffer from light scatter is ones that use the front of the headlight to direct the light (usually glass with the lines in them).

reflector ones will suffer slightly but nothing to be conserned about imho.

H4 lamps contain both the dipped and main in a single lamp so thats why you would need hi/lo hid kit.

S2000
Just to clarify - as Dink says H4 bulbs use one bulb to provide the high and low beam and this is the reason you see H4 Bi-xenon kits etc as you get some H4 kits that only give HIDs for low beam and some (Bi-Xenon) that give HIDs for high and low. THis is only used on Mk1 Clios and some very early Mk2s, all other Clios use seperate bulbs for high and low beam meaning that you will only get HID low beams if you buy a kit, and you will retain your halogen high beam.

In terms of legality, being totally honest the vast, vast majority of HID kits fitted are illegal on the car. The kits themselves are not illegal, but there are a number of things your car, and not the kit, need to meet in order to be legal. This includes things like headlight washers which most people don't have. However, that is the individuals choice whether to risk this or not and I haven't been aware of any of my customers having any trouble with the law about their lights.

In terms of passing your MOT there is NO REASON that HIDs will fail your MOT as long as you have your bulb alignment correct - so it is exactly the same case as with halogen bulbs. I know this after speaking to various MOT testers and they have no reason to fail HIDs as it is simply not something they check as part of an MOT.

If anyone wants more info or wants to buy a kit please PM me. I have been slow recently getting back to people however I still have kits available and those who have bought from me previously will back up that these are excellent quality kits at a VERY reasonable price. In addition to this I will always try and help resolve and fitment problems people have and if you require lights for a clio I can advise exactly what kit is correct for you whatever shape/style clio you have. I can also supply kits for other cars, just let me know what fitment you need.

taken from another forum

I work as a vehicle examiner within VOSA and keep an eye on the MOT garages. I basicly look after the MOT scheme on behalf of the Secretary For State. With regards to the 'pass/fail' criteria for HID headlight aim at test I can give you a difinitive answer.

As long as the level of the light is at the correct hight and the cut off/break point is going the right way (to the left) then it will pass this part of the MOT.

There is no fail criteria as yet in the testing manual and there is no requiremnts for ant auto levelling.

Its one of the best mods that looks wise to do for your moter..
I had no probs with mot nor did they blind other drivers

HID cool H7 6000k kit
on my old 172 cup fitted with ease

On my 182 cup the bumper has to come off which is a pain in the arse
but a mod im gonna be doing