ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hid Conversion Kits....illegal !

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
I have posted this as a new thread as the original thread got bogged down in a mire of guesswork and "my mate the MOT tester says.." myth and folk-law.

The intention is to allow educated decision making on whether or not you choose to break the law as it stands, not to challenge the law.

The original question was about fitting HID bulb kits to a Clio.

The answer is contained in the reply to my enquiry, from the legal department at the department of Transport. I hope this is informative.

==============================​

Dear Sir,

Thank you for your e-mail regarding the conversion of standard headlamps to HID. This has been passed to me to reply.

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

See below for the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:
1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.
2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).
3, Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:
1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.
2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.
3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

Adrian Burrows

TTS 6
Department for Transport
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London SW1P 4DR

this is the original thread http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=187162

RenaultSport clio 172 mk2
Adrian Burrows' answers appears to be based on the totally wrong idea that you are taking a HID bulb out of a projector-type headlight and putting it in a reflector-type headlight that isn't designed to take or approved for that bulb type. Which of course you can't physically do because different headlight types have a different fitting on them for the bulb to plug into. Just like you physically can't fit a H4 dual-filament globe into a headlight designed to take H1 single-filament bulbs, you also can't physically fit a D2S gas-discharge bulb into the socket designed for a H7 bulb. The people who design these things aren't complete idiots. They make sure you can't put anything but the correct approved bulb type in a headlight.

HID bulbs for reflector-type headlights are designed to go in reflector-type headlights, fit in them, and produce the right beam pattern for them. If you have a H7 headlight, you order a H7 HID bulb.

Now if he'd argued that you couldn't fit a HID bulb because there was a rule that you had to have automatic headlight beam adjustment if you have HID that would be at least a sensible argument, but he admits the regulations don't mention HID type globes/headlights. He only says that is required if the type of headlight fitted standard to the car requires it.

A headlamp designed for a H7 bulb works correctly providing it is fitted with a H7 bulb. And that's what a "HID conversion kit" would provide. Not a D2S HID bulb designed for a projector-type headlamp. And it is legal if it is fitted with any approved H7 bulb. It is possible to buy unapproved H7 bulbs, eg high wattage ones for "rally" use. If you wanted it to be legal you'd have to be sure the HID globe you bought was an approved type.

80MPG BEEZA
god what a load of waffle read most of it until i realised they were just repeating themselves

lol. at the end of the day though how many people have illegal headlight bulbs (non emarked, higher wattage, etc) or misaligned headlights..

nearly everyone.. you dont get pulled for it. providing y
theyre not mega blue bulbs.

oh yes the beam pattern is all over the place...

HID's%20on%20my%20VX.JPG

lol! dont have any rear seats so dont need self levelling, headlight cleaners do f**k all except waste your screen wash, leave streaks down your wings, and make the lights go messed up for a few seconds while they spray, distort the beam, and dazzle other road users ;)!!

btw.. you must lead a really fun life if all you do is contact VOSA etc asking about the legality of HID conversions... lol

Last edited:
  Chocolate Bar™
despite its legality i shall be fitting a kit, and i shall also be fitting a decat which is also illegal, and do i care.... no not really :)

Carrera 4S. Clio 172. M5
Guy;2272207 btw.. you must lead a really fun life if all you do is contact VOSA etc asking about the legality of HID conversions... lol[/QUOTE said:
I am not quite sure what point you are trying to make. The time I spent finding the facts, bears no relation to the time you have wasted trying to ignore the facts to justify your actions and argument on this and many other subjects relating to vehicle legality issues.

I have never advocated that anyone should remove, or not fit accessory HID lamps, or illegal number plates, nor indeed would I do so. I in fact stated that I have fitted HID lamps to improve the lighting on my Horse transporter lorry, having become accustomed to the additional light and safety they offer on our family cars.

Its up to the individual to decide whether the risk of being caught and dealt with for doing so is worth it, you clearly think it is, although I must say if the photo you posted is supposed to show a perfect headlamp alignment on you car there is something seriously wrong there.

I simply set out to provide the information to enable anyone to make their own informed decision, being fully cognisant of the facts and possible consequences.

It appears to be a national sport, shooting the messenger, but sadly it doesn’t alter the facts.
The last time I checked, we were still living in a free country where we are all allowed to express our own views and opinions. I respect your right to do this, please extend me the same courtesy. ;)

btw.. you must lead a really fun life if all you do is contact VOSA etc asking about the legality of HID conversions... lol

hmmm.. well tbh why are you posting on this thread if you dont care?? Isnt this thread just to inform people not really to tell him whether hes sad or not?

(BTW those are rhetorical questions)

EK9 + Mfactory gearing..
seems its still a grey area, some information is better than none though, having just bought a 6k HID kit its relevant to me, good work BrianR. as for people knocking you & your post it comes as standard on this forum.

lighten up, ok so they may be technically illegal and it has cleared up all the rumours that the self levvelling system is not needed on aftermarket units. but in reality.. the police, and MOT people arent really going to pick up on it

the stuff about beam patterns clearly isnt true as can be seen from the pic.
may be if you tried fitting a d2s bulb in a h7 light fitting.. but when using a h7 bulb in a h7 fitting its fine.

You used to be able to avoid fitting washers if the car was not fitted with them at first registration.

Ph-Sold!
Interesting read, and whether we think levellers or washers are worth having (IMO not from previous experience) he's stated the law and I think it was a quality response.