ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hero Status (Turbo'd Busa'd Lotus 7 Rep Project)

Waitey

ClioSport Club Member
  Alpina D3, AC Cobra
That will be awful to drive. Normal busa engined ones are bad enough.

Turbo bikes are w**k too.

So god knows why he combined to two.

It won't spin the rears though, bikes cope fine with half the weight and half the contact patch.

CX-7,westfield,ix20
Like ali said, there is no need for that much power in this sort of thing.

In fact, I'd say one with less power will actually be faster as you will actually be able to use it!

My westfield has circa 190bhp and weighs about 550kg and it is challenging enough to drive. You'd break out in a sweat instantly driving that thing lol.

Fair play to the boy for doing it but I just don't see the point if I'm honest as a well set up car with half the power will be just as quick IMO.

Dave

Nissan 200sx
500bhp, custom built turbo etc, home build!

Folk on here can't even get TB's and Superchargers working!!! It will go bang! I'll bet my jewish konk on it!

That is showing more a lack of knowledge on how to do it on here than whether or not the engine will last

500bhp in the original Mk Indy chassis is asking too much,

Unless he spends money on the diff it will be flat out at around 120-130mph, yeah it will get there really quick, but when it comes to a corner it will struggle. I've had one of the original indy chassis and you could see it flexing on track with just 120bhp.

Waste of money for me, if your going too spend that kind of money on a turbo set up then you may as well stick it in a better chassis.

Good luck to the guy anyway, having been there and done that with kitcars i now prefer something with a roof and comfy seats :)

BMW 330d :)
500bhp in the original Mk Indy chassis is asking too much,

Unless he spends money on the diff it will be flat out at around 120-130mph, yeah it will get there really quick, but when it comes to a corner it will struggle. I've had one of the original indy chassis and you could see it flexing on track with just 120bhp.

Waste of money for me, if your going too spend that kind of money on a turbo set up then you may as well stick it in a better chassis.

Good luck to the guy anyway, having been there and done that with kitcars i now prefer something with a roof and comfy seats :)
#

Just what I was going to say. Surely the gearing would all need to be changed as the Westfield Megabusa tops out at 138mph, in which case the turbo would be hitting it after about 5 secs of throttle..

I also think a couple of full bore launches would twist the chassis all over the place...

Here's an update:

150.jpg

Checked the valve clearance and degreed the cams to 105in and 108ex. Cams will get tweaked on the dyno, but this should be a fair starting point.

180.jpg

Modified the clutch master cylinder from the bike handlebars and welded to a mounting plate. It gives the correct travel on the clutch, I'll probably have to add a bleed nipple to the top plate so that I can fill the reservoir to the top and not get air in the system.

160.jpg

Turbo mounting bracket.

170.jpg

It fits! Found a spot for the turbo, it's a bit snug. Uprated the chassis mounts, but the engine cradle is for a standard Hayabusa and doesn't look up to the job (see those end tabs :eek:). So I'll be making a stronger cradle. There is also another engine support that will triangulate from the head of the engine. Manifold is going to be tricky... it's a bit tight in there.

Some more for the haters.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
The idea's cool & the rr print out at the pub would win for me!

Couldn't imagine what something like that would be to drive mind! let alone on the roads!

C63 PP,R1,,Clubman
That will be awful to drive. Normal busa engined ones are bad enough.

Turbo bikes are w**k too.

So god knows why he combined to two.

It won't spin the rears though, bikes cope fine with half the weight and half the contact patch.

Oh really,ever heard of a high-side ?,bikes 150hp+ can spin up the rear Tyre easily.

But i agree it will probably take away from the experience IMO,too much power too little traction = ruined.

Last edited:
  Mk5 golf gti
i love the crazyness of the idea

i hope someone on that forum told him first that it wouldnt be financially beneficial for him

;)

Seat Leon Supercopa
Ah I see.
Although it's not quite as mad as those guys that put the 27 litre Meteor engine in the Rover SD1 !

Mk5 golf gti
I was refering to the fact that if someone did that on this forum he would have been told to use the money for a holiday or a mortgage

;)

Is he doing the full build by himself?? is he a mech? or is he getting help

If he was on this forum, all the experts would tell him the engine would only run for a few seconds before it blew up and he was catapulted out of a bent chassis under a total lack of traction.

Seems to be doing it himself aye, don't know if he is a mech or not though.

He's made a start on a manifold...
Here's my attempt at a turbo manifold. Needs cleaning, welding and porting.

I know that equal length runners would be better and a straighter drop into the collector, but space is tight and it's my first go at making one of these. It cost about £70 in materials... and 2 days grinding!

190.jpg

Some more updates from the dude...
Small update... Not too much progress, but lots of head scratching.

Strengthened the engine mounting frame.
230.jpg

Started working on the exhaust. It's 3" from the turbo. Yes, it's going to be loud.
240.jpg

I decided to use the existing silencer and open it up to 3". Here's the original 2" pipe.
250.jpg

I cut and welded the perforated section to just under 3", so the 3" stainless fits tight over the top. It also means I can still repack the sliencer.
260.jpg

Exhaust finished :D

270.jpg

... tempted to make one of these for a sunday morning blast.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Head scratching?

Like "Why the f**k am I building this when I won't be able to actually drive it".

Listerine & Poledo
if he'd tried anything like this on CS, most likely he'd just be berated for not sitting silvervisions or turinos.

not to mention that it'd be far better to take the money, but a campus, try turning it into a 1x2 replica.

but then buy a second car to run whilst they "save up for parts"

Personally, love it. Mind, 7-alikes are all good stuff. There's a Renesis-powered one out there which makes a good case for itself. That'd be my route anyway, more power and torque than the bike-engine route, but without the rebuilds....well, mostly.

328, MK1 Clio 1.4
You can question why do anything with modifying a car as we all know, I can't understand why you would want to make a car so low that it smashes the sump when you drive over a speed bump, but that's not the point.

I think this is awesome.

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
99.9% of this forum could not fabricate a 1/4 of what this guys doing.Therefore their comments would be inept...

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
Pmsl! 99% of this forum couldn't tie their own shoe laces ffs!

Bit more.
Small update... Not too much progress, but lots of head scratching.

Strengthened the engine mounting frame.
230.jpg

Started working on the exhaust. It's 3" from the turbo. Yes, it's going to be loud.
240.jpg

I decided to use the existing silencer and open it up to 3". Here's the original 2" pipe.
250.jpg

I cut and welded the perforated section to just under 3", so the 3" stainless fits tight over the top. It also means I can still repack the sliencer.
260.jpg

Tacked the exhaust together today and ordered another turbo flange to make a side-exit exhaust like in the previous photo.

280.jpg

Next job is to make a plenum from this...

290.jpg

Evo 5 RS
that manifold is amazing!

tbh with you it's a case of free time and a lot of free cash...I'm guessing he's already figured it won't be a case of foot to floor but it's the concept of it - and why the f**k not tbh. I wish I could do half of what he's doing on his own.. He's some kind of Zeus status machinist