ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hero Status (Turbo'd Busa'd Lotus 7 Rep Project)

Ph1 Clio V6, Ph2 172
99.9% of this forum could not fabricate a 1/4 of what this guys doing.Therefore their comments would be inept...

Nail on the head!

The bloke obviously knows exactly what he is up to, knows exactly what he wants and is building exactly what he thinks. At the end of the day, there is more to life than sub 300hp lol. Fair play to him I say. Can you imagine what other CS members would say if a build thread came up like "800bhp mid engine project to beat the 'ring record". It would be piss funny! "You can't do this, you can't do that." "What do you need 800bhp around corners??" blaa blaa blaa.

Love it! Can't wait to see the little monster squirm up a road ;)

FN2 Type R +MK6 Golf
As has been said,if a bike can put down that power to weight then im sure 4 wheels will do the job better.

Moar.

Quick Update:

Started making parts for the plenum

Made the throttle flange.

350.jpg

Cut the base plate.

360.jpg

I'm waiting for some larger diameter bell mouths to arrive. The ones I had on the shelf were for a different project and they are slightly too small. Once the larger ones arrive I can finish the plenum.

370.jpg

I took the throttle bodies apart, removed the butterfly valves and turned some aluminium bungs to block the holes. Welded these in.

300.jpg

Finished welding the exhaust, but still got a lambda bung and wastegate to plumb in. I think I'll run with a larger TIG cup next time, might help keep the bead bright.

330.jpg

Managed to get away with a 60 deg bend in the tail pipe. I didn't want to go to a 90. Cut the end in-line with the wheel arches.

340.jpg

The 44mm wastegate and bov arrived. Routing the gate to the manifold is looking tricky to keep it inside the car, looks doable.... just.

310.jpg

I got a new purge setup. Worked really well on the exhaust. Thanks to the helpful staff at R-Tech Welding :thumbs:
(I've got no link with them, just a happy customer)

320.jpg

The latest, this lot looks a squeeze!

I've finished the pipework, plumbed in the wastegate, fitted the wideband and fabbed the turbo bracket.

That's the exhaust side of the project done.

380.jpg

I'm still waiting on the bellmouths before I can finish the plenum.

Intercooler and rad are next on the list.

The guy's posted some more progress...
Update....

I've changed the plenum design. I wasn't happy with using the existing TBs to mount the injectors. I would have had to put a sharp 90 deg bend on the runners in an attempt to keep everything under the hood.

I've managed to work out another design which fits under the hood without any sharp bends on the intake runners. Here's how it went together....

The bellmouths arrived. First problem was to work out how I can make them stay connected to the head under boost.

390.jpg

Here's the standard head mounts. You can see there is a recess to locate the base of the throttle body.

410.jpg

I used a bead forming tool on the bellmouths to make them a tight fit in the existing head mounts.

400.jpg

Aligning the bellmouths on the base plate. A small amount of machining to make them fit snug.

420.jpg

Starting to take shape... It's 6mm plate. It may be overkill for 2 bar boost, but I'd rather build it strong, than have cracked welds. Besides I might want to run more boost :D

430.jpg

Trial fitment to the head.

440.jpg

Matching up the side intake.

460.jpg

470.jpg

More trial fitments

480.jpg

I turned four injector mounts

490.jpg

Welded in. It's top feed, with the injectors a firing directly into the bellmouths

500.jpg

Throttle body plate welded on.

510.jpg

Lots of welding later....

530.jpg

I'll be adding two mounting brackets that will clamp the plenum to the head. I've tapped the underside of the plenum with 1/8npt threads for vacuum take-offs.

540.jpg

Mission accomplished. No alteration to the hood necessary.

550.jpg

Made up a turnbbuckle with threaded inserts. This is replacing the chassis member where the turbo is fitted.

560.jpg

570.jpg

The turbo filter in place. I'll fab a heatshield and there will be a side intake duct on the passenger side.

580.jpg

I made a custom back plate for the filter as I wanted a 4" inlet to match the turbo.

590.jpg

Started on the hoses. Tiny Turbo feed vs the -12 oil lines.
600.jpg

Next job is getting the rad and IC sorted. I can then finish the oil, fuel, water and air lines.
Then it's wiring and mapping :)

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
Aligning the bellmouths on the base plate. A small amount of machining to make them fit snug.

Is it just the snug fit sealing it? I would have wanted to seal it with something, although I imagine as it all heats up it will expand and seal itself anyway!

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
It doesn't need to seal it, the base plate to throttle mate is what needs to be sealed.

I will believe you but I'm afraid I don't understand, surely if there is any kind of gap you will be loosing boost pressure? Or am I being stupid?

The fitment of the bell mouths in the base plate only needs to be secure, it does not need to seal. The seal needed is between the base plate (which the bell mouths are friction fitted into) and the throttles.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
The fitment of the bell mouths in the base plate only needs to be secure, it does not need to seal. The seal needed is between the base plate (which the bell mouths are friction fitted into) and the throttles.

I see that makes sense, so the intake system is actually sealed, but not in the way I was thinking. I guess it is a bit easier to get a good air tight seal that way as well.

Dan

Yozza'd Blue Bus
This guy knows his stuff! all men who have lesser knowledge should now bow down to his massive mechanically minded shlong between his legs accompanied by his HUGE brass balls he will need to drive this thing :O

If I ever had the chance and money to do somethin like this I wouldn't think twice about giving it a go :)

Epic project.... 1000bhp/T in a shoebox with wheels is simply mental :)

As said that will be lighting up the tyres all the way to 4th, but so what if it puts a massive grin on his face every single time he drives the thing!!

Seem's I'd missed a lot. So I've took the relevant updates. It's now at Horsham Developments getting the ECU wired in etc...

Update.. at last!

Here's a recent pic. Rad and IC are in, dry sump is plumbed in.
680.jpg

There has been plenty of fabrication to do. The coolant inlet was facing in the wrong direction (down and backwards) and a "U" bend would be really messy..

610.jpg

So...

620.jpg

That's a bit better

630.jpg

BOV mount made

640.jpg

Fabricated the header tank and catch can

650.jpg

Plumbed in the turbo drain into the dry sump. It's inline with a scavenge galley, so should drain well.

660.jpg

Oil lines

670.jpg

It's mainly plumbing and wiring to do now.

Just a few small jobs left before mapping...

Finished the fuel, oil and coolant lines. Painted the bulkhead.
Need to paint the engine cradle next.
700.jpg

No indication of what lurks beneath :D
710.jpg

Now over to Horsham Developments to make the loom and map it.
I'm tempted to leave this side panel off... Yes/No?
730.jpg

Just weighed it:

on scales.jpg

weight.jpg

So just over 500kg dry. 1000bhp a ton is going to be a bit of a challenge...

We'll get there... I'll make a side exit exhaust if needs be. Got to be a 5kg saving there :)

focus st3
Daft as it seems dosent ghost rider have the same set up on his bike and have you seen that loon throw it about.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
I wouldn't be able to drive that without constantly laughing like a little girl, thats crazy so the busa'd car is gonna be insane