ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help WTF is this noise?

Audi TT 225
The cars just started making this noise! Its happening every time I start it, seems to go away but then get it back at low speeds :S

th_9a795801.gif

CS Dungeon
did you replace the water pump when you replaced the cambelt?

Doh............Iain beat me to it.

CS Dungeon
thats car is sooo f**ked dude

Break it to him gently dude:lolup:

Waterpump should always be changed when you have the cam belt done as the cambelt needs to come off to replace it.

Will cost £100's just to change a £26ish part now

Audi TT 225
IF its that... Im wondering if its PAS pump :S
Done some searching some one said theirs was doing it and it was the pas

CS Dungeon
Break it to him gently dude:lolup:

Waterpump should always be changed when you have the cam belt done as the cambelt needs to come off to replace it.

Will cost £100's just to change a £26ish part now

I thought that the water pump ran off the same belt as alternator not the cam belt.

Certainly not on the Williams thats for sure, I thought 1*2's were the same.
If I could get Dialogy's to work I could tell you:mad:

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the water pump is on the AUX on the 172s etc.. rich, id take it back to whoever did the work and get it fixed

Audi TT 225
Argh theres not much left that hasn't been bloomin replaced on this car appart from the chassis!
Must be pas pump or water pump I think, everything else is new

TeZ

Non RS : (
sounds like water pump trouble to me. i never changed my water pump on my 1.416v when cam and aux were done , should i have??? its only done 50k tho.

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
was the water pump not replaced? when the belts were done? like the Detailer said if it was on the cambelt then it would of been a ball to change!

CS Dungeon
Argh theres not much left that hasn't been bloomin replaced on this car appart from the chassis!
Must be pas pump or water pump I think, everything else is new

Typical Renault lol

When I had the Williams engine and gearbox fitted into my Hybrid I had everything changed while the engine was out, even clutch and headgasket just to be sure

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
sounds like water pump trouble to me. i never changed my water pump on my 1.416v when cam and aux were done , should i have??? its only done 50k tho.

its not the millage that normally kills them. its when you change the belts then re tention the belt up it can cause extra stress on the pully. i.e the normall load is increased on the worn bearing

CS Dungeon

You may be ok in your 1.4 mate as you have probably got room to change the parts without having to lift the engine out

With the Williams its an engine out job really to replace the cambelt and water pump.....hence why you should replace both if one needs doing. This way you dont have 2 lots of massive labour fee's

Audi TT 225
Just had a listen with the bonnet up, doesn't sound like its coming from the PAS pump it seems more towards the centre to rear of the bay.

Wheres the water pump?

Last edited:

TeZ

Non RS : (

You may be ok in your 1.4 mate as you have probably got room to change the parts without having to lift the engine out

With the Williams its an engine out job really to replace the cambelt and water pump.....hence why you should replace both if one needs doing. This way you dont have 2 lots of massive labour fee's

youd be surprised theres nowt room in the bay tbh.

clio 172 cup
Due to it only happening at slow speeds and reving it's a belt driven thing I would guess that it's a pully out of line which could be caused by the wearing of the bearing in the aux part. GET IT CHECKED as it was only the other day my mechanics had to do a cambelt breakage replacement with all the trimmings (springs valves), caused by the aux belt coming off and pinging into the cambelt which in turn took it off.

Lots of Alfas
Just had a listen with the bonnet up, doesn't sound like its coming from the PAS pump it seems more towards the centre to rear of the bay.

Wheres the water pump?

So it doesnt sound like its coming from the cambelt/auxbelt area at all? Theres nothing really at the rear in the middle that I could think of.

Last edited:
  53 Clio's & counting
that sounds exactly like the belt is slipping slightly mate,and causing the screeching,as the engine has only just gonne in,the belt might need tighnening up so id check that fiest,because im 99% sure its just a sreeching belt

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
It does sound belt area, one thing the water pump is ran for the aux belt and is auto tensioned plus i reckon Fred would have had the sence to change it.

Audi TT 225
yeah I meant middle as in verticaly from front of the bay to the back, it is cam belt area, its worse now. Drove half a mile down the road to the pub and it went after 30 sec's... missus drove back and it squeeled all the way.
It sounds exactly like a fan belt squeeling.

Clio 172 mk2
Sorry but I had to laugh at clip....really f**ked up noise

Sounds like pulley/belt slippage to me

Clio MK 4
I've just had my cambelt fitted and dont think water pump has been replace :S i'm worried lol. They did replace the fan belt though for some reason

Lots of Alfas
I've just had my cambelt fitted and dont think water pump has been replace :S i'm worried lol. They did replace the fan belt though for some reason

By fan belt you mean aux belt? Thats normal, the aux belt should be changed every 36k. I wouldnt worry about the water pump, if you havnt been loosing water or dont have a noise its fine. It can always be changed in another 36k.

Audi TT 225
By fan belt I mean when you hear an old car go past with a howling fan belt thats the sound it makes, so Im guessing its the aux making the noise.
Hope its not the bloomin cam anyway :eek:
It doesn't sound like a tensioner or bearing its rubber squeeling...

C63 AMG, F430 & 172
the aux belt is loose or its strugled to move an AUX item, id put my life on it, be careful though as you know what happens when they slip off.....

Last edited: