ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with worrying noise please

monaco 172
i have a strange buzzing/whining/whistling noise, i cant find the exact word im looking for to describe it but i have a video, it sounds like its coming from this but not 100% sure (the picture below) again i dont know the word for this part. Ill post a youtube video link for the video. could this be making tht sort of noise. any help would be great, thanks.
clionoise2.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJqVNuZg6w4

BMW M135i
Thats the aux belt idler and yes it could quite possibly be making that noise if the bearing has failed does the noise vary with revs?, when were the cam and aux belts changed and were they both full kits?

monaco 172
The cambelt kit was done in jan and aux belt was done at same time but not the kit as far as I'm aware. It gets a tiny bit louder under accelaration.

evo
sounds like it could be, the aux belt pour some water on it, and see if the noise goes, mate.

monaco 172
I think it's a new belt tho. I can still see the yellow writing on it, saying contitech or something. Any more ideas.

evo
just put water on it tho, and see if it stops it mate, then you know, its the belt or the aux pulley.

inferno 182cup
some (WELL SHADEY) places dont change this lower idler when doing them as there bit of pain to do u need a well shallow scocket an slim ratchet to do it with engine in a low position on the frame

BMW M135i
They're easy to change tbh, cranked spanner get in there no problem. Just put it down to experience as to why you should always change a full kit not just the belt.

monaco 172
i put some water on it and the noise didnt change, does this definately take the idler out of the situation? how much movement should there be on the belt, like twisting sideways? could it make that noise if the belt wasnt tight enough?

monaco 172
Bit more info for u, the noise seems to go away if I press the clutch whilst driving along, and coast.

mikeh

ClioSport Club Member
  182 Trophy
That green stuff looks like the dye many places put in with an aircon regas, have you checked to see if the whine goes away with the aircon switched off?