ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help with steering problem, please

2003 Clio sport 172
My steering has started to squeal when pulling away and parking, its only doin it when im moving slowly.

I have had a look at it and the Belt seems slack, its the 172, how do i tighten the belt, is there a tensioner? where is it if there is one and how would i get to change anything that needs changing seein as there is no room what so ever, also the steering is very notchy when turning at low speeds while the squealing is happening.

Any help would be great because i have no idea what to do now.

renaultsport clio172
get a drive belt, tensioner shocker+wheel and the little deflector idler wheel kit from a motor factor .you need a shallow haif inch drive bar to release the tensioner. there is no room so its a bit tight but possible! check the water pump and pas pump while the belts off!

172DD Cup
not to scare you, but just so you know- if that belt comes off or snaps there's a chance it'll wrap itself around the lower pulley and jump your cambelt = big money. so don't spend too long getting it done :)

as for doing the work, have a look in the guide section i think there's a guide with pictures. possibly in with the cambelt guide. i think you need to get the engine on a jack and raise and lower it to improve access.

172DD Cup
the vectra was always an arse for the aux belt change. it routes around an engine mount, so you had to remove the mount to fit the aux belt. by contrast the cambelt was easy peasy, a £5 draper tool to hold the camshafts in place was the only tool.

2003 Clio sport 172
Thanks guys, been out today and bought a belt 10.56, not bad, took a couple of hours to strip the front of the car and fit it, its all good now though. took the front bumper off to get to it and just took the bolt out the alternator so it gave me the slack i needed, like i say its working great now, thanks :cool:

2003 Clio sport 172
the cambelt was done by the previous owner about 18 months ago and its not done many miles since so that should be fine for a while, i went to a garage and they said i wont need the pulleys and the tensioner. i understand what your saying though, just couldnt afford the lot this time around and needed it doing asap as was using the car for a big drive, all seems good so far lol

2002 Clio 172
Ah Ha! That sounds just the problem I have at the mo with my 172! At low speed or when manouvering in a car park etc. I get an embarrasing squeal and grinding along with some jerky movements thro the steering wheel. Could this be rectified by replacing the belt. I had the cam belt done last year and as Renault had never heard this noise before?? how easy is it to do yourself?

2003 Clio sport 172
thats what mine was doin, i just replaced the belt and its perfect now, its pretty easy to do but there isnt a lot of room to work with, i took the front bumper off and jacked the front of the car up so i could see from all angles then just unbolted the alternator so i could get the slack in the belt, remember to look at how the old belt comes off, i did a little drawing of what pullys it went round, took the belt off n put the new 1 on then just bolted the alternator back into place, peice if pee, the only trouble i had was there is very little room.