ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - Which Oil / Filter to Buy! (VW Content)

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Hai

Aware I'm on CS, but after trawling the internet and finding conflicting information on car parts websites - and most VW forums seem to be inactive, or solely obsessed with air suspension & garlands hanging from the rear view mirror.

Basically - need to service the wife's Passat. Brake discs and Pads are inbound, but I can't find a definitive answer as to which oil (and therefore oil filter) to buy.

It's a 2003 1.9TDi Sport, so the 130BHP variant. I've been looking for oils that are PD suitable, but most descriptions don't seem to state this - or, I'm going blind!

I know many people on here have owned a car with a PD 1.9 engine before, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light before I order the wrong fluid. Also, I'm assuming 6L should be enough?!

Cheers folks

mk1 Octavia VRS
I believe it's 504.00/507.00 5W-30 spec oil you need and 5l should be enough.

The Quantum long life oil on eBay is pretty cheap - about £20 for 5l.

As for filters I've used mostly Mann filters on my Octavia for the last 90k miles. I change the oil/filter every 10k and the old barge is still on the original turbo at 163k. Could try your local TPS though, some of them sell to the public but my local one doesn't.

mk1 Octavia VRS
My Fabia VRS has the same engine, and I use skoda Quantum Platinum (VW 505.01)
You can also use that. It's slightly cheaper than the long life oil and is 5W-40 instead of 5W-30. The longlife oil is intended for variable service intervals and the platinum is intended for fixed intervals (10k/1 year?). I'd go for the long life even on fixed intervals unless you really want to save £2-3 or there's some other reason like higher oil consumption with the thinner oil.

If it has a DPF, use quantum longlife, if it doesnt, use Quantum platinum.
Cheapest place is normally your local TPS, but eBay wont be far behind.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
Cheers guys. It's been pretty much 50/50 online as to whether I need 5w30 or 5w40, hence why I've asked on here - I know that the wrong oil can be a bit more troublesome than usual with the PD engine!

I'll go for the Longlife - not interested in saving money so much as ensuring I'm using the most fit-for-purpose fluids I can.

Marc.

ClioSport Club Member
5w 40 but it has to be PD specific. Search Opie oils they bring up PD specific oils
Cheers mate. Went for this, using their search to be sure:
IMG_0487.PNG

Hopefully this stuff should be adequate?!

mk1 Octavia VRS
It'll be fine but the Quantum oil is a fair bit cheaper, the same spec and is used by some VAG dealers.