ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP! URGENT!

I've just had to pull over as there was steam (I don't think it was smoke) coming from my bonnet. I opened the bonnet and the coolant tank is bubbling.

Before this I had been sitting with it idling for about 30 minutes.

Is that the head gasket gone? Is it dead?

Please help!

Clio 197,with megan'
The fan has not cut in to cool the water, and if stationary, there is no airflow. Was there no warning from the temperature gauge?. Let it cool, before adding any water, then start. Check the oil level, and if car starts, keep checking both, you might be lucky.

1.6 Clio, 330Ci Bmw
Not necessarily, how far had you driven before having to pull over?
Could you hear the rad fan switching o and off while it was idling?
Does the coolant in the header thank have oil in it, or just look a really bad colour?

Not necessarily, how far had you driven before having to pull over?
Could you hear the rad fan switching o and off while it was idling?
Does the coolant in the header thank have oil in it, or just look a really bad colour?
Only drove for about 5 seconds then pulled over. ThE liquid is brown and on the minimum line. I didn't notice the fan or any warning.

Clio 197,with megan'
I would agree, water on its own is a bad idea, but he might not have access to anti freeze where he is. Water will get him home.

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
Where was the steam coming from, belt side ? Water pump could have gone and the lack of pressure caused the coolant to boil ?