ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help steering wheels shaking!

Mégane RS
Hi all, recently upgraded my 16" Superleggeras to 17" Superleggeras, my car was fine on 16's no problems but now ive put 17's on the steering wheel shakes at 60+mph, i have had the wheels balanced as i have only just fitted 4 brand new tyres. Does anyone know what to do or have any opinions? thanks

Get them to chekc the ballencingm, a weight coudl ahve fallen off etc.

Other thing is the CV joint on one of the driveshafts might have goen, but you generally find this vibratioin comes and goes

Actually thinkign about it i think iwas ont he phone, having a conversation, and typing wiht one hand when i was doing that one:eek:

I had a similar problem, wheels just been balanced but still getting vibration, so I took it back and they moved the weights around on the wheels - put half on the inside and half on the outside or something and this fixed the problem. Don't know why they didn't just do that in the first place really.

Mégane RS
Do you reckon i will have to pay for them to re-balance them? only had them done yesterday at Kwik Fit

Are they kerbed badley at all?

Would get teh ballencing checked, and check the cv joints before messing wiht the wheels, can usually look at them and see if they are buckled.

If they are thought they SHOUDL have picked up on it when they fitted the tyres

Mégane RS
no there not curbed att all, they are basicly mint 17" superleggeras, i might get them to check the car out while the wheels are off

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah usually people notice when fitting tyres cos it can be quite obvious on the machine. Bt it is more likely to be weights. Are the cv joints making any sort of noise at all.

Mégane RS
i dont know really, i can hear a strange noise coming from the car, a kind ow whistle but thats it really, what noises do cv joints make when broke?

Mégane RS
Dont know i didnt check before i put them on, would there be a big difference if they didnt have them

Mk2 Ph1 1.2 8v
yeah, when i fitted mine without spigot rings it made the steering shakey, and the car vibrate at motorway speeds.