ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP PLEASE - Rumbling noise I can't locate

Clio Sport 172 Cup
Hi People,

Newbie here appreciating the search functionality on this forum ;)
I've spent the last few hours searching about and learn't plenty but still not sure my current drama has been answered.

I have a rumbling noise I can't locate.
Car is MY 2002 RS 172 (AC) 40k Miles

Noise is evident at all speeds and doesn't appear to get louder or faster with speed. Its not a loud noise, more a dull, irritating rumble.

I originally thought the noise was coming from the drivers side front but after spending the last couple of days with it I'm not convinced anymore.:(

*Noise is evident whilst travelling along with or without the engine on.

What I've so far tried/ replaced
  • Alternator bearings (Didn't know it was making the noise with the engine off when did this).
  • Both front wheel bearings (Fun)
  • Aux Drive Belt - not kit - Just read about tensioner now
  • Swapped front wheels with rear wheels
None of the above has made any difference

My thoughts are now could try;
  • Replace both rear wheel bearings
  • Tyres could be out of shape - anyway of checking? 4 new tyres unnessasilry will hit the wallet.
  • Aux tensioner - prob not as this isn't operating when engine off and freewheeling but the noise is
  • Drive shafts, dry CV's, Gearbox?? Is gearbox still in play when freewheeling, i'm not sure?
Have I missed anything?

Ideas from those with experience would be very gratefull received. Especially which order to throw the £££ at first!

Regards,
Dan :D

Clio Sport 172 Cup
No, not really. Took it to Reno who road tested it and found no fault apart from 'tyre noise'. Guess its a set of tyres...

"Navy" N17 TWO
Does it sound as if something is flapping about and catching while the wheels are moving, rather than a grinding noise?

clio sport 172 cup
I had a rumbling noise that seemed to be linked to the wheel motion and not the engine speed. It sounded like it was coming from the passenger side but actually was the rear offside. It turned out to be nothing more than the back box exhaust mount. The rubber inner had perrished and the metal mount on the exhaust was sitting on the alluminum bracket. Got a new bracket from Arnold shark ( £ 21 ) and fitted it myself. If it turns out to be this, get hold of a good socket set that's got a good extension bar. It took me 5 mins to sort.

Hope you find your fix soon, as I can empathise, my cliosport ( 2004, 172 ) has cost me £1200 the last few months, good job I love her to bits eh.

Higgo

clio sport 172 cup
If you need a service and cambelt ( 5 years or 72K ) I had mine done 3 month ago by nationwide auto centre in Widnes, for £640 ( runs great ). They had all the right torque tolls etc and fitted new cam gears and water pump. Similar quote from a main dealer would have been in excess of £1000.

Higgo