ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

help please 16v

when i start mine up from cold it sounds like a diesel and really knocky,i done an oil change yesterday and filter and what a nitemere that was,the filter was terrible to change (16v),i put magnetec 10/40 in it and it dont sound much better intill warm,its done 100,000 miles now<i have only had the car 4 about 2 weeks,how long do these engines last? it has full service history,would it be the top end or bottom end?do i need a rebuild? i love this car any help would be great!! thanks!!!:confused:

the 16vs have hydraulic tappets these are a bit noisy when the engine has just been started mine sounds the same when its started from cold

john

one good thing with the valvers mate is that as long as you look after them they can handle high mileage very well. Is magnetec fully synthetic? I presume with 100K its had a cambelt change?

BMW 320d Sport

They are noisy lumps, make sure its not the injectors youre hearing. Renowned for sounding like a taxi on startup, its nothing to worry about though, just as long as it goes away once its warm and you dont thrash it from cold.

ok thanks, how do i know if it is the injectors i am hearing? so you think the bottom end is fine, it doesnt smoke one bit i dont wana be rebuilding it at the mo. it does sound exactly like a diesel taxi until warm. any other suggestions greatful.:D

as jon said, the hydraulic lifters.......takes a while for oil pressure to build up and set the gaps to the correct setting.

same hear! Feel better about it now though! I always let it warm up a little first - let the oil circulate, but the best way to warm up the car is to drive it gently, keep an eye on the oil pressure and the revs. Like Nick said, just dont rag the sh*t out of it!:)

Clio 172 Cup, Eunos

Same here, especially since its been sooo cold lately...

Mines got 90k on it - how do i tell if i need to change the headgasket?

Revels Mum & Sister

Yeah same here sounds like a b*****d diesel ford :oops:

Mates used to sound like that and never stopped sounding like that even when warm. Too much thrashing from cold.