ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help needed for a beginner

Corolla T-Sport
After telling myself I didn't want to get drawn into detailing I can't stop reading about it and want in. I am a little confused by everything on the market and what's best for a beginner. Could someone break down the steps and give me some advice on what to buy or point me in the direction of a guide/thread. I have a s**t machine polisher and get on with it quite well, an upgrade is definitely on the cars but my budget is quite restricted.

Cheers.

BG Clio 182
I'm sure @Bear Head has a step by step how to saved.

If not, someone will be by shortly to explain. If not, I'll hop back in after the undateables. :smile:

The first thing is a good website. Clean your car is a good one! I think Cliosport05 gets you a 5% discount aswell!

The advice here is for a BIG wash and what you'd typically do once a year or if it hasn't been kept up with.

If your car is particularly mucky you want to 'pre wash' first which is basically your snowfoam! Snowfoam it first following the instructions on it! Basically rinse the car with the washer to thoroughly wet it, ensuring you get all in the arch linings. Mix water and foam in the lance and let it sit on the paint for about 5 minutes and rinse off. This softens and removes a lot of muck so that there's less to remove when washing.

A good snowfoam is the clean your car own brand in the 5l container. It's cheap and PH neutral which means it won't remove any products you have put on the car to make it shiny or protect it like wax or a sealant.

Next do the wheels. Spray the wheel with a wheel cleaner and use a wheel brush and separate sponge to the car. Spray wheel cleaner onto the wheel and let it work for a few minutes. All the crap will be softened and pulled off the car and you can then wash the wheel with some shampoo water to clean the wheel, using the brush for intricate areas. Rinse the wheels with a hose or pressure washer.

A good wheel cleaner is wonder wheels hot wheels or demonshine wheel cleaner.

Next wash the car using the 2 bucket method which is widely known and can easily be looked up but in essence use 2 buckets, one full of shampoo and water one full of just water. Use a soft microfiber or lambswool mitt. Dip into the one with the shampoo and water, do a stroke of the sponge and inspect. If mucky, wash in the water bucket and only dip into the bucket with shampoo once it's clean again. Do this until the car is clean.

A good shampoo is autofinesse lather. This is also PH neutral so doesn't remove your wax. A good sponge is the dodo juice blue microfibre one and the various lambswool mitts are also good. For drying towels get good ones. I have a purple monster and it's incredible. I also have the eurow towels as they're great for applying products.

Next step is to remove the tar from your paint, the black dots mainly near and around your wheels where they splash road tar. This is best done with a dedicated tar remover. Spray the car all over, and work in with water on a clean sponge to agitate all the areas. Then rinse off after letting settle for a good 5 minutes.

A good tar remover would be autofinesse obliTARate. Autosmart Tardis is also widely regarded.

After the tar, use a dedicated iron remover to remove any embedded metal the washing and tar remover won't get. Sounds daft but your car picks up a real lot of contamination, even in a few months!

Spray this on and agitate with a wet sponge the same as the tar remover. Filings will show up on the paint and the black dots left by the product are the product highlighting and removing the metal deposits.

Iron X is great, try the lemon one as I was recommended, the normal one smells like death. Rinse the car again with water or a quick going over with the 2 bucket wash method to remove anything left from the products you've just used.

Next would be to clay the car to remove all remaining contaminants. Use a clay lube and do it whilst the car is still wet. Spray a 2 ft section with lube, and snap the clay bar into a piece as big as a finger. Make that into a flat disc and rub over the paint, ensuring plenty of lubricant is used as to not let it drag over and scratch the paint. It'll be worst near the wheels where all the s**t is. If you encounter resistance go over it again as these are the contaminants were trying to remove! Do the window's and headlights too!

Next dry the car and you'll have a pretty decent shine, as clay lube is also a fast wax and does add it's own element of shine.

I bought a kit from the aforementioned website from chemical guys being the clay block and luber set. Autofinesse also do a glide product as the luber and their clay bar separately which is good also! Get a mild clay as you'll inflict scratches if you don't know what you're doing with a more aggressive clay.

If the car needs polishing then you'd now polish. By hand use autoglym super resin polish in overlapping motions on a microfibre towel, buffing after 5 or so minutes. You could also use autofinesse triple, this works well by hand or on a machine too!

If using a machine by a DAS 6 PRO. I got the autofinesse revitalise system and read the stickied thread on how to use a dual action polisher in the detailing section. Using the zenith technique. This is how to remove swirls and scratches etc.

Next would be a glaze if you're going mad, which hides swirls and scratches and gives a good shine and overall depth of colour to the car. Use this on a machine on a low speed such as 1 on a finishing pad. Black hex logic chemicals guys ones are good. Also can be done by hand, work in with a microfibre and remove with a clean one after its dried to a haze.

Poorboys black hole would be effective on the car you have due to it being good for dark and blue cars.

Next would be the final protection.

In winter a sealant is recommended for its durability. It lasts a long time. A good easy one would be Hydro2. This is applied to the car whilst wet, allowed to dwell and is simply washed off. This can last numerous months and is highly rated on the forum. Another good sealant would be autofinesse tough coat, which you spray on and leave and then wipe off. These products make the water bead and sheet, thus carrying away the muck by sliding it off the paint.
A wax is another option but best saved for summer as waxes aren't as durable but tend to look shinier and better.

A good starter wax would be poorboys nattys blue. It's awesome. Wipe a small amount on a section at a time. Do the whole car and then remove it once you've waxed the whole car. Apply another coat the next time you wash the car.

Next just apply a good tyre dressing to the wheels. Autofinesse satin is good.

Then wax the wheels if wanted. Mint rims by autofinesse is excellent. It is harder and more resilient than csr wax and bonds to the rim, stopping dirt sticking and making it easier to remove during washing.

When you next wash the car just use the two bucket wash, doing the wheels first and apply another coat of wax. You could also use a quick detailer to wipe over the car. Spray a few sprays onto the paint whilst it's wet after washing before drying, then dry the car. This adds it's own shine and helps the sealant or wax out. After a few weeks apply another coat of wax to keep it topped up. Do this every few washes. Same with a sealant just a lot less frequently.

Remove bird s**t quickly with a quick detailer too. A good one is autofinesse finale I belive it's called or I personally use poorboys QD.

The car will shine like a b*****d.

Clay the car every three months or so and repeat the decontamination steps also. Never polish without decontaminating, I.E tar removal, iron removal and then claying. Remember this will remove wax or sealant so reapply after this.
Oh and for the rest;

Do the glass with a dedicated glass microfibre. It just works better. Autoglym fast glass is INCREDIBLE. Spray directly on a microfibre and rub in. Don't get it on your paint as it's going to remove wax. Then buff it off with the glass cloth. Apply some rain x too for superior water activity and beading to better help in heavy rain.

Do the exhaust if it's stainless steel with autoglym metal polish or the t cut metal polish. This is awesome! Buff off after microfibre application.

Do the trim with autofinesse revive. This is awesome. Wipe on and then leave and wipe off, buffing as you wipe off. This gives a lovely layer of protection and shine.

Don't forget the door and boot shuts too and to dry them.

Wash all microfibre towels in the washing machine, just the same as your clothes. Let them dry naturally, don't tumble dry.

Just a small write up so if you need anymore help just ask.

All the products above can be found on clean your car.com and their delivery Is fast as hell!

@Knuckles :wink:

Corolla T-Sport
The first thing is a good website. Clean your car is a good one! I think Cliosport05 gets you a 5% discount aswell!

The advice here is for a BIG wash and what you'd typically do once a year or if it hasn't been kept up with.

If your car is particularly mucky you want to 'pre wash' first which is basically your snowfoam! Snowfoam it first following the instructions on it! Basically rinse the car with the washer to thoroughly wet it, ensuring you get all in the arch linings. Mix water and foam in the lance and let it sit on the paint for about 5 minutes and rinse off. This softens and removes a lot of muck so that there's less to remove when washing.

A good snowfoam is the clean your car own brand in the 5l container. It's cheap and PH neutral which means it won't remove any products you have put on the car to make it shiny or protect it like wax or a sealant.

Next do the wheels. Spray the wheel with a wheel cleaner and use a wheel brush and separate sponge to the car. Spray wheel cleaner onto the wheel and let it work for a few minutes. All the crap will be softened and pulled off the car and you can then wash the wheel with some shampoo water to clean the wheel, using the brush for intricate areas. Rinse the wheels with a hose or pressure washer.

A good wheel cleaner is wonder wheels hot wheels or demonshine wheel cleaner.

Next wash the car using the 2 bucket method which is widely known and can easily be looked up but in essence use 2 buckets, one full of shampoo and water one full of just water. Use a soft microfiber or lambswool mitt. Dip into the one with the shampoo and water, do a stroke of the sponge and inspect. If mucky, wash in the water bucket and only dip into the bucket with shampoo once it's clean again. Do this until the car is clean.

A good shampoo is autofinesse lather. This is also PH neutral so doesn't remove your wax. A good sponge is the dodo juice blue microfibre one and the various lambswool mitts are also good. For drying towels get good ones. I have a purple monster and it's incredible. I also have the eurow towels as they're great for applying products.

Next step is to remove the tar from your paint, the black dots mainly near and around your wheels where they splash road tar. This is best done with a dedicated tar remover. Spray the car all over, and work in with water on a clean sponge to agitate all the areas. Then rinse off after letting settle for a good 5 minutes.

A good tar remover would be autofinesse obliTARate. Autosmart Tardis is also widely regarded.

After the tar, use a dedicated iron remover to remove any embedded metal the washing and tar remover won't get. Sounds daft but your car picks up a real lot of contamination, even in a few months!

Spray this on and agitate with a wet sponge the same as the tar remover. Filings will show up on the paint and the black dots left by the product are the product highlighting and removing the metal deposits.

Iron X is great, try the lemon one as I was recommended, the normal one smells like death. Rinse the car again with water or a quick going over with the 2 bucket wash method to remove anything left from the products you've just used.

Next would be to clay the car to remove all remaining contaminants. Use a clay lube and do it whilst the car is still wet. Spray a 2 ft section with lube, and snap the clay bar into a piece as big as a finger. Make that into a flat disc and rub over the paint, ensuring plenty of lubricant is used as to not let it drag over and scratch the paint. It'll be worst near the wheels where all the s**t is. If you encounter resistance go over it again as these are the contaminants were trying to remove! Do the window's and headlights too!

Next dry the car and you'll have a pretty decent shine, as clay lube is also a fast wax and does add it's own element of shine.

I bought a kit from the aforementioned website from chemical guys being the clay block and luber set. Autofinesse also do a glide product as the luber and their clay bar separately which is good also! Get a mild clay as you'll inflict scratches if you don't know what you're doing with a more aggressive clay.

If the car needs polishing then you'd now polish. By hand use autoglym super resin polish in overlapping motions on a microfibre towel, buffing after 5 or so minutes. You could also use autofinesse triple, this works well by hand or on a machine too!

If using a machine by a DAS 6 PRO. I got the autofinesse revitalise system and read the stickied thread on how to use a dual action polisher in the detailing section. Using the zenith technique. This is how to remove swirls and scratches etc.

Next would be a glaze if you're going mad, which hides swirls and scratches and gives a good shine and overall depth of colour to the car. Use this on a machine on a low speed such as 1 on a finishing pad. Black hex logic chemicals guys ones are good. Also can be done by hand, work in with a microfibre and remove with a clean one after its dried to a haze.

Poorboys black hole would be effective on the car you have due to it being good for dark and blue cars.

Next would be the final protection.

In winter a sealant is recommended for its durability. It lasts a long time. A good easy one would be Hydro2. This is applied to the car whilst wet, allowed to dwell and is simply washed off. This can last numerous months and is highly rated on the forum. Another good sealant would be autofinesse tough coat, which you spray on and leave and then wipe off. These products make the water bead and sheet, thus carrying away the muck by sliding it off the paint.
A wax is another option but best saved for summer as waxes aren't as durable but tend to look shinier and better.

A good starter wax would be poorboys nattys blue. It's awesome. Wipe a small amount on a section at a time. Do the whole car and then remove it once you've waxed the whole car. Apply another coat the next time you wash the car.

Next just apply a good tyre dressing to the wheels. Autofinesse satin is good.

Then wax the wheels if wanted. Mint rims by autofinesse is excellent. It is harder and more resilient than csr wax and bonds to the rim, stopping dirt sticking and making it easier to remove during washing.

When you next wash the car just use the two bucket wash, doing the wheels first and apply another coat of wax. You could also use a quick detailer to wipe over the car. Spray a few sprays onto the paint whilst it's wet after washing before drying, then dry the car. This adds it's own shine and helps the sealant or wax out. After a few weeks apply another coat of wax to keep it topped up. Do this every few washes. Same with a sealant just a lot less frequently.

Remove bird s**t quickly with a quick detailer too. A good one is autofinesse finale I belive it's called or I personally use poorboys QD.

The car will shine like a b*****d.

Clay the car every three months or so and repeat the decontamination steps also. Never polish without decontaminating, I.E tar removal, iron removal and then claying. Remember this will remove wax or sealant so reapply after this.
Oh and for the rest;

Do the glass with a dedicated glass microfibre. It just works better. Autoglym fast glass is INCREDIBLE. Spray directly on a microfibre and rub in. Don't get it on your paint as it's going to remove wax. Then buff it off with the glass cloth. Apply some rain x too for superior water activity and beading to better help in heavy rain.

Do the exhaust if it's stainless steel with autoglym metal polish or the t cut metal polish. This is awesome! Buff off after microfibre application.

Do the trim with autofinesse revive. This is awesome. Wipe on and then leave and wipe off, buffing as you wipe off. This gives a lovely layer of protection and shine.

Don't forget the door and boot shuts too and to dry them.

Wash all microfibre towels in the washing machine, just the same as your clothes. Let them dry naturally, don't tumble dry.

Just a small write up so if you need anymore help just ask.

All the products above can be found on clean your car.com and their delivery Is fast as hell!

@Knuckles :wink:

Well thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for. Some great food for thought there, I'll do some research into the products you've recommended and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again!

BG Clio 182
Well thank you very much that was exactly what I was looking for. Some great food for thought there, I'll do some research into the products you've recommended and let you know how I get on.
Thanks again!

It's all very daunting. Believe me. Don't let @Knuckles sit there all sweet and innocent he's a beast at detailing. Go on his name and check out some of his details. Thats how iv'e learnt. It's good to look at his step by step details and you can visually see by his progress pictures what the products are doing and the effects they're having on the car.

Any help just ask in here or PM no worries mate. Glad it helped. Nice to see shiny cars :cool:

LY 200 EDC LUX
Once you start, its downhill from there. Kiss goodbye to your weekends lol.

Only problem I'd say is that the market is just ridiculously over-saturated with products. I'm a fairly big fan of Auto Finesse products so I'd recommend those. I get my stuff from 'Clean your car'. Just type it into google.

Other car-cleaning product manufacturers are also available :)

Dont forget WONDER WHEELS is very aggressive so dont use on any chrome or unlacquered wheels. Its essentially Brick acid. Go for Bilberry Wheel cleaner. it can be diluted 10-1 so will last a while and is totally neutral but exceptionally good. just a tip but if you get it go for the 1L as the 5L doesnt take to sitting very well.
Again a big yes to Tim at Cleanyourcar, great company and the only one i use now

BG Clio 182
@Bear Head How important is the iron remover?
Being honest mate it is quite important. I was a bit skeptical about it at first. I used it on my car and just felt I was pissing away money really. Main areas are near the wheels and the bottom of the car that gets the real muck flying up at it.

I tried some on my dad's car though and got a proper reaction. A real lot of iron was highlighted and removed. I was very impressed. It also slackens the load on the clay bar meaning less rubbing on the car to get the embedded deposits. Less rubbing on tough iron spots means less chance of marring or accidental scratches.

You can't go wrong mate, just get some decent shampoo, and clay and lube, and the iron remover. If you were to miss anything I'd say the tar remover in the process, because you can get away with just using the clay bar I suppose. To do it thoroughly though your best to use all the steps time and funds allow as every step you do makes a visual difference with muck coming out the paint and colour and gloss enhancements along the way :)

Sorry to jump in on the thread but great write up, very helpful :up: I will be looking to give the tar, iron and clay steps a go myself on the car in a few weeks time so I'm glad I came across this. After these steps are carried out would autoglym super resin polish applied by hand, followed up with a coat of autoglym extra gloss protection be enough protection to last a good while? Or should I be trying anything else? Cheers

BG Clio 182
Sorry to jump in on the thread but great write up, very helpful :up: I will be looking to give the tar, iron and clay steps a go myself on the car in a few weeks time so I'm glad I came across this. After these steps are carried out would autoglym super resin polish applied by hand, followed up with a coat of autoglym extra gloss protection be enough protection to last a good while? Or should I be trying anything else? Cheers
Yeah course it will mate. The polish will fill and minor scratches and marks and give a nice shine to the paint!

The EGP will be great over that too!

I do feel that there are slightly better products available to do the job in hand but really, without going mental, these will do the job just lovely :) Your method and steps will be correct and that's the main. The products are just secondary to how much you want to spend kind of although obviously some things are better than others.

I would perhaps be more inclined to use Autofinesse Triple and Autofinesse Tough Coat but that's just my preference and SRP is an awesome product!

@Bear Head Great mate cheers for the reply and info, can be so confusing all this protecting and detailing malarky so good to speak to someone in the know! I have srp and egp at the moment so will maybe give the AF stuff mentioned a try when they are done. I also thought about trying one of the entry level waxes like AF Soul but then get confused about whether you could use that on top of or before egp or in place of it all together, and whether it would make much of a difference anyway to the end result? And that's before I read about pre-wax cleansers etc, so much to get the head round for a newbie lol

BG Clio 182
@Bear Head Great mate cheers for the reply and info, can be so confusing all this protecting and detailing malarky so good to speak to someone in the know! I have srp and egp at the moment so will maybe give the AF stuff mentioned a try when they are done. I also thought about trying one of the entry level waxes like AF Soul but then get confused about whether you could use that on top of or before egp or in place of it all together, and whether it would make much of a difference anyway to the end result? And that's before I read about pre-wax cleansers etc, so much to get the head round for a newbie lol
Haha basically a wax would normally be used in summer. They give a better shine and colour supposedly than a sealant such as your EGP but don't last as long. I've put waxes over sealants before and they don't really add much to be fair.

Best bet is wash it, clay it and De iron at least, De tar ideally. Then polish and buff off then either wax or EGP. you won't go wrong with the poorboys Natty waxes. They're cheap and amazing.

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin
Haha basically a wax would normally be used in summer. They give a better shine and colour supposedly than a sealant such as your EGP but don't last as long. I've put waxes over sealants before and they don't really add much to be fair.

Best bet is wash it, clay it and De iron at least, De tar ideally. Then polish and buff off then either wax or EGP. you won't go wrong with the poorboys Natty waxes. They're cheap and amazing.

Clay after de iron and de tar* :eek:

@JD i do actually already have some of the EGP but wouldn't mind spending a bit on a wax to try for better results in the fairer weather. Had a look at the poor boys natty waxes @Bear Head, certainly reasonably priced and people seem happy with the results from what I've read, probably a decent place for me to start!

BG Clio 182
13c9064d0eb54009d1254d4258747557.jpg

This was the shine on my car with tough coat and nattys over the top.

Looks great that, can't argue one bit for 15 quid, willing to give it a try! Seems I would be best going for the White paste for racing blue as it seems that the blue paste is suited more to darker colours, although again I have absolutely no idea how much difference this would really make haha.

BG Clio 182
Looks great that, can't argue one bit for 15 quid, willing to give it a try! Seems I would be best going for the White paste for racing blue as it seems that the blue paste is suited more to darker colours, although again I have absolutely no idea how much difference this would really make haha.
Haha I think you're probably right mate. The image I posted is s**t but it's just showing the reflections etc. AF Tough Coat is an epic product I much prefer it to EGP as a sealant. That picture is the sealant that's maybe a month old with a top up protection of Nattys Blue (black car).

I would point you to something spray and wipe @JPJ89 - something like C2V3 by GTechniq, AF ToughCoat or CarPro Reload.
My old car with AF Triple topped with C2V3.
IMG_0862_zpsa579c9ec.jpg

It genuinely makes naff all difference. Since your car is Racing Blue, I'll post this instead (back in the old days - talking 10 years ago - of SRP and Natty's Blue);
IMG_7697_zps65e301d6.jpg

That RB finish looks awesome. Thanks for all the advice guys, will be putting an order in shortly for a few bits so will take these into consideration, and will be sure to post some pics up when I get round to doing the car in the next few weeks :up::smile:

That RB finish looks awesome. Thanks for all the advice guys, will be putting an order in shortly for a few bits so will take these into consideration, and will be sure to post some pics up when I get round to doing the car in the next few weeks :up::smile:
*Nautical blue