ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help My Racing Clio Friends About Electrics

Clio 220 PH2
Hi all,
As you may know by now I am making a 182 track/race car and I am at that point of electrics on the inside. What I want to do is cut out the wires I don't need i.e electric Windows, rear screen, airbag wires and radio wires and what not I have been told that I can not cut them out because of the CAN-bus systems. Has anyone done it, can it be done and if not is there a wiring loom I can get where I can just have the bear minimum ? I don't really want to play around in the engine bay yet that's next winters project.
Any help would be great :)
Thank you all

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Hi all,
As you may know by now I am making a 182 track/race car and I am at that point of electrics on the inside. What I want to do is cut out the wires I don't need i.e electric Windows, rear screen, airbag wires and radio wires and what not I have been told that I can not cut them out because of the CAN-bus systems. Has anyone done it, can it be done and if not is there a wiring loom I can get where I can just have the bear minimum ? I don't really want to play around in the engine bay yet that's next winters project.
Any help would be great :smile:
Thank you all
Yeah I've done it mate. Definitely worthwhile doing if you want to save the weight of a pack of rizlas! Lol!
If it's a dedicated track car that will one day become a race car, just leave it all as is until it's reached the point where every gram counts towards laptimes. Then, make up a full custom loom and sack off all the uch, clocks, etc and run everything off a switch panel.

Just my opinion though.

Yep I've done it on mine, all be it i messed up the first loom by accidentally cutting the hazard switch.

Im yet to weigh the bag of wires i have collected but the full loom weighs 4.5 kg (not including rear loom) for your information and my bag full of chopped wires feels similar to that!

Clio 220 PH2
Yeah I've done it mate. Definitely worthwhile doing if you want to save the weight of a pack of rizlas! Lol!
If it's a dedicated track car that will one day become a race car, just leave it all as is until it's reached the point where every gram counts towards laptimes. Then, make up a full custom loom and sack off all the uch, clocks, etc and run everything off a switch panel.

Just my opinion though.
Haha thank you very much. It isn't really for the weight saving at the moment its more giving it a clean look as i am thinking about not running the bottom of the dash and don't want to look at the wires. I have been told cutting the wires back can cause a misfire and all other problems i don't know how true that is ?
Would i need a new ECU for the engine if i run a custom wiring loom inside the car as they all link together don't they ? Ideally i would like to run throttle bodies which would need new wiring anyway if i have been told right ?
Well thats where i want to go with it in the future and i totally agree with what you are saying :)

Clio 220 PH2
Yep I've done it on mine, all be it i messed up the first loom by accidentally cutting the hazard switch.

Im yet to weigh the bag of wires i have collected but the full loom weighs 4.5 kg (not including rear loom) for your information and my bag full of chopped wires feels similar to that!
Thank you very much. Its not a very heavy loom then they normally weight a shed load. Well like North Loop says every gram then comes into account when you have a race car and chasing lap times

Thank you very much. Its not a very heavy loom then they normally weight a shed load. Well like North Loop says every gram then comes into account when you have a race car and chasing lap times

No not really, exactly that - i was originally running no lower dash with my cut loom, but i was still running an UCH so you're always gonna be looking at something!
and i don't have the knowledge to remove it and create my own custom dash with switches etc YET.

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Haha thank you very much. It isn't really for the weight saving at the moment its more giving it a clean look as i am thinking about not running the bottom of the dash and don't want to look at the wires. I have been told cutting the wires back can cause a misfire and all other problems i don't know how true that is ?
Would i need a new ECU for the engine if i run a custom wiring loom inside the car as they all link together don't they ? Ideally i would like to run throttle bodies which would need new wiring anyway if i have been told right ?
Well thats where i want to go with it in the future and i totally agree with what you are saying :smile:
Well the wires you can see just need tidying up with rayon loom tape mate.
Cutting the wrong wires can lead to all sorts of dramas, so any things possible with French electrics!!!
Nah you'll not need a new ecu for the engine and interior mate. Ecu will control the engine and any comms from the ecu to a digi dash for instance, will come into the car. Everything else is separate.

Clio 220 PH2
No not really, exactly that - i was originally running no lower dash with my cut loom, but i was still running an UCH so you're always gonna be looking at something!
and i don't have the knowledge to remove it and create my own custom dash with switches etc YET.
Well yes this is true i just didn't want that big bulky wiring loom there in front of me. i am up against it as well because the roll cage stops me having certain things in certain places so i am trying to make it the best i can before going the full race car with the wiring

Don't suppose you've got a picture!

But yeah you should have it in front if you keep the top dash!

Clio 220 PH2
Well the wires you can see just need tidying up with rayon loom tape mate.
Cutting the wrong wires can lead to all sorts of dramas, so any things possible with French electrics!!!
Nah you'll not need a new ecu for the engine and interior mate. Ecu will control the engine and any comms from the ecu to a digi dash for instance, will come into the car. Everything else is separate.
Yes this is true thats what i am worried about cutting something that can make my life hell and i could agree with you more about french electric haha
Perfect well what i will do is next winter is have a good old look at the electrics and run a proper job. I have to get the car ready for july because its off to the nurburgring so i don't want to be rewiring it on the way down haha. Would you say do the wiring yourself or would you recommend a wiring loom pre-made jobby ?

Clio 220 PH2
Don't suppose you've got a picture!

But yeah you should have it in front if you keep the top dash!
To be honest mate the cage is on order and i have to wait 2 months for it and then it will be another 2 weeks to fit. i am just going off what the guy said at the roll cage company about the wiring and dash but once its all in a will send you a picture and see what you think.
Thats what i thought mate :)

To be honest mate the cage is on order and i have to wait 2 months for it and then it will be another 2 weeks to fit. i am just going off what the guy said at the roll cage company about the wiring and dash but once its all in a will send you a picture and see what you think.
Thats what i thought mate :)
safety devices order was that?!

Not a problem was just wondering if you had one to hand! :)

spot on

Clio 220 PH2
safety devices order was that?!

Not a problem was just wondering if you had one to hand! :smile:

spot on
No mate I have gone for a Custom Cages one :)
I shall keep my build thread up to date with lots of pictures but I will send you one when I get one :)

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Yes this is true thats what i am worried about cutting something that can make my life hell and i could agree with you more about french electric haha
Perfect well what i will do is next winter is have a good old look at the electrics and run a proper job. I have to get the car ready for july because its off to the nurburgring so i don't want to be rewiring it on the way down haha. Would you say do the wiring yourself or would you recommend a wiring loom pre-made jobby ?
I might be at the 'ring at the same time as you then next year! Lol!
Buy one of the pre made fuse/relay boxes and make the in-car loom yourself. You only need basic tools and an understanding of electrics.
Engine loom is the same, but you need fancy crimp pliers to do the ecu terminals. You can use normal non insulated crimp tools, but they don't necessarily give a perfect crimp.

Clio 220 PH2
I might be at the 'ring at the same time as you then next year! Lol!
Buy one of the pre made fuse/relay boxes and make the in-car loom yourself. You only need basic tools and an understanding of electrics.
Engine loom is the same, but you need fancy crimp pliers to do the ecu terminals. You can use normal non insulated crimp tools, but they don't necessarily give a perfect crimp.
Haha do you do track days there or just the tourist sessions ? If you are there I will put a fresh right hand indicator bulb in so I am easy to see as you blast past haha
Ok that's cool I am not terrible at wiring so that will be worth a go. Yes they are a strange crimp compared to the rest. That doesn't sound too bad, once the car goes back into winter project mode again I will have a go :)
Thank you very much

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
Haha do you do track days there or just the tourist sessions ? If you are there I will put a fresh right hand indicator bulb in so I am easy to see as you blast past haha
Ok that's cool I am not terrible at wiring so that will be worth a go. Yes they are a strange crimp compared to the rest. That doesn't sound too bad, once the car goes back into winter project mode again I will have a go :smile:
Thank you very much
I do TF mate. I like being mixed in with the bikes and people just having a steady drive round! Lol! Makes it more of a challenge to get a decent lap time in, as you have to constantly be on your toes and work out where your going to catch, then overtake them with minimal effect on the lap.

There's a few on here mate that will be able to guide you through it all if you get stuck at any point. :up:

Clio 220 PH2
I do TF mate. I like being mixed in with the bikes and people just having a steady drive round! Lol! Makes it more of a challenge to get a decent lap time in, as you have to constantly be on your toes and work out where your going to catch, then overtake them with minimal effect on the lap.

There's a few on here mate that will be able to guide you through it all if you get stuck at any point. :up:
We use to do TF but then we started doing the 2 day DN events which are brilliant Darren really knows how to put an event on. But this year i did a TF lap and loved it for the same reasons as you. I love overtaking people it gives you a great buzz even if you pass a van haha. It will be the first year for me taking my Clio we normally take my dads car so i can not wait :)

Thank you very much you have been a great help i can sleep better now haha

Akay

ClioSport Club Member
  Clubman Cooper S
Im looking to remove my aircon and pas wiring, is it just a case of following the wires back to either the ecu or relay/fuse box?

Clio 220 PH2
Im looking to remove my aircon and pas wiring, is it just a case of following the wires back to either the ecu or relay/fuse box?
What I am doing is following it back and leaving about 30mm of wire left, heat shrinking it and if I ever had a problem or needed to put the wire back then I have a bit left to use.
Like North Loop made a good point depends how far you want to go with it to whether you remove it completely and stick a new custom loom in it (which is what I am going to do)

GrahamS

ClioSport Club Member
  335d
I stripped my front loom using wiring diagrams and saved a pathetic 450 grams. Having a hair cut would be more beneficial honestly. The stuff you actually need like lights and EPAS are where the real weight is but then it's still a very small amount.

Have a look at my 172 thread. It' shows the loom in before and after state. It's certainly now far easier to get the dash in and out.

Clio 220 PH2
I stripped my front loom using wiring diagrams and saved a pathetic 450 grams. Having a hair cut would be more beneficial honestly. The stuff you actually need like lights and EPAS are where the real weight is but then it's still a very small amount.

Have a look at my 172 thread. It' shows the loom in before and after state. It's certainly now far easier to get the dash in and out.
Totally agree mate from what I have took out there's no weight to it it's more just to look nice to be honest haha because I am sad lol
I will have a look mate thank you very much :)