ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help my 53 plate 172 cup won't start!

R60 CUP
Hi
I have had a few problems with my clio recently with it running rough whilst I'm driving it, but now my car won't start! It turns over and goes to fire up but then dies!? It fired up once and ran for a few seconds but then it died again, I can't seem to figure out what's wrong with it does anyone else? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

R60 CUP
Yeah fuel is fine pump makes all the healthy noises, the engine management light is on so I got it checked and it said problems with inlet manifold sensors so I changed both of them but no luck!

R60 CUP
Where about on the gearbox is this sensor? Would it not be flagged up by the ecu tho when I got the car diagnosed?

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
Not necessarily mate.

its located underneath the airbox mounted on top of the gearbox, take the airbox out and move
the cooling pipes out of the road. Its held in by two 13mm bolts IIRC

R60 CUP
Is there a way of determining if the pin is knackered? Would it affect the car whilst I'm driving it to? What's the purpose of sanding it down?

Oggy997

ClioSport Club Member
  997.1, Caddy, e208
Mind done similar - was the earth strap behind the front wheel.

Clio Sport 172 Ph2
[QUOTE What's the purpose of sanding it down?[/QUOTE]

nothing...... it works on inductance & communicates to the ECU via voltage..... sand it down and u will change the air gap in relation to the sensor & flywheel & you'll have more problems.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
[QUOTE What's the purpose of sanding it down?

nothing...... it works on inductance & communicates to the ECU via voltage..... sand it down and u will change the air gap in relation to the sensor & flywheel & you'll have more problems.[/QUOTE]

No it wont, mine had the exact same problem. The pin rusts over and no signal was being sent. I'm not saying take a chain saw to it, a light rub with light glass paper

R60 CUP
Rite i had a go at the tdc sensor today cleaned it up and put it back but no change I waggled all the relative sensors and wires but nothing! I managed to get the car started but it stinks of unburnt fuel! Also smells of rotten eggs lol the car just isn't drivable anyone any clues?

also don't know if this is any help but the car starts up with a squeak and it sounds like one of the belts but its been doing this for a while and its usually when the car has been wet from rain or when I clean it.

Last edited: