ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help me spend 1k

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Make it feel like it should.

New ball joints, wishbones etc.

If the car is mechanically perfect, i'd fit some decent seats and a nice steering wheel.

I would refresh all the front end, ball joints track rod ends, steering rack bushes and arms, new bushes, suspension etc.

Makes all the difference and you'll enjoy the car loads more.

I know that's not what you wanted to hear, but hey ho.

As per these guys, get it back to how a 172 should be, the average 172 now is a good handling car, in proper condition (and using cup bits irrelevant of if its a cup or not for wishbones and dampers) it should be an excellent handling car.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
All the suggestions so far are all well and good but lets be honest... boring. Coming from a modifying perspective, I've just made an order with K-Tec for 2118's + Toyo's, coilovers and carbon splitter, can't wait!

Your car your choice, but I bet it wont handle as well as a well maintained example on standard cup parts ;)

320d
I'd go for uprated brakes (disks, pads and braided lines), then some 15" wheels with some decent rubber and maybe some sportline springs.

Then it's good to go for trackdays. That's my plan with mine.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I'd go for uprated brakes (disks, pads and braided lines), then some 15" wheels with some decent rubber and maybe some sportline springs.

Then it's good to go for trackdays. That's my plan with mine.

Good choice of upgrades, but I would still do those after a front end steering and suspension components refresh personally (unless inspection proves the current ones to have no play which is unlikely on most 172s)

Listerine & Poledo
Right. OK, for my fictional £1k to waste.

OZ 15's wrapped in Michelin.
Ball joints
top mounts
OEM brakes all round

and it's gone!

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Mine would be (figures very approx):
Front end suspension and steering complete refresh with cup parts : 500
Rear shocks : 100 quid
Front brakes : 250 quid (rs2500 + disks)
Oil / filter / coolant : 100 quid
Plugs : 50 quid

Listerine & Poledo
Basically, there are a lot of things people should spend their money on before they go giving their french heap a load of mo-y0! parts.

Brakes are definitely more worthwhile than an RS Tuner map

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Basically, there are a lot of things people should spend their money on before they go giving their french heap a load of mo-y0! parts.

Brakes are definitely more worthwhile than an RS Tuner map

Realistically most of these cars are at least 1K away from being properly suited to a trackday, which is as much as someone has just spent on the car in the first place so not what they want to hear. And thats before you add in wheels and tyres.

Dont get me wrong, you can still have fun in one with sloppy suspension etc, but Im just saying to make it trackday like it would have when new, is going to cost you a grand really.

We've spent about 5K ish now on our 172 since buying it to make it into our interpretation of the perfect daily/trackday combination and I dont really view any of that money as wasted TBH, just because the car only cost us a grand and a half or so in the first place doesnt change the fact that parts for them are expensive.

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Your car your choice, but I bet it wont handle as well as a well maintained example on standard cup parts ;)

Already had some standard parts replaced to help with handling, and it ain't all about that is it... looks are important too!

Cerrone

West Midlands
ClioSport Area Rep
  RB Clio 182
I would just have it large with the lads all weekend, cocaine, drink, more drugs, and with the change go on a open pit track day! But that's me :D

No car
Realistically most of these cars are at least 1K away from being properly suited to a trackday, which is as much as someone has just spent on the car in the first place so not what they want to hear. And thats before you add in wheels and tyres.

Dont get me wrong, you can still have fun in one with sloppy suspension etc, but Im just saying to make it trackday like it would have when new, is going to cost you a grand really.

We've spent about 5K ish now on our 172 since buying it to make it into our interpretation of the perfect daily/trackday combination and I dont really view any of that money as wasted TBH, just because the car only cost us a grand and a half or so in the first place doesnt change the fact that parts for them are expensive.

Thats exactly what im saving for! complete front end refresh! gona get rid of the v maxx coilies on the cup at the moment and keep it original!! Im determined to get it handling how it left the factory! (Or as close too as possible)

JoshOm3

ClioSport Club Member
  Cup'182/Rs2'd Trophy
BMW-boring IMO. Do something exciting if you got money too waste, or keep your the money towards what ever you was saving for.