ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help - How do I get to the ABS pump?

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
Hello all,

I've got a vibration from my ABS pump on my 2002 Clio 172 so I need to strap it down to stop it from happening when it does a self test when I first pull off or if the ABS kicks in when braking hard.

I believe the ABS pump is in the bulkhead somewhere. Unfortunately I've no idea what the ABS pump looks like, can anyone help with?

- what the ABS pump looks like?
- How to get to the ABS pump. A guide would be useful :)
- DIY ideas on how to tie it down. (Cable ties, tape?)

Many thanks,

172/1.2/E30
ABS pump is integrated in the ABS block (passenger side on the bulkhead). If the pump is fubar'd you'll need to change the complete block.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
The pump is not knackered, it's the bracket it sits on that causes the vibration.

How do I get behind the bulkhead? Any special tools?

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
The vibration your feeling is completely normal, its just the ABS pump pulsing through the pedal when active.

Add me 2 ur PS3 - Lylak
It's not. The car makes a fart noise when I first move off the first time I move the car.

The noise is the bracket vibrating from the pump solenoid spinning.

mikekean

ClioSport Club Member
  996 C4S, 135i, E30x2
It's not. The car makes a fart noise when I first move off the first time I move the car.

The noise is the bracket vibrating from the pump solenoid spinning.

If its the abs pump making noise when you move off then there is something wrong with one of the components in the ABS system, it will be nothing to do with the bracket.

Can't see that being the problem but the pump looks similar to this and it's in the right hand corner at the back.

abspump.jpg

BMW M135i
If its the abs pump making noise when you move off then there is something wrong with one of the components in the ABS system, it will be nothing to do with the bracket.
Not necesarily, if the bracket has come loose it will vibrate when the pump operates which it will when you first set off after starting the car and it performs a self test.

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
Mine used to do this, always wondered what it was! I just put it down to being French !!!