ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help... Gearbox wont go back on

Ex 182 owner
Put a new clutch on the Trophy today. Genuine renault.

Now my thrid attempt to try and get the box back on have failed. I just cant get the last inch.

Using two jacks and an axel stand. used the kit alignment tool to get the clutch straight

Starters not in the way, nor are any hoses connectors.

Got the thread guides in the right holes.

Got the enigne at a slant to help with the angle.

I very much doubt this but there was a stange metal cup in the kit which it suggested it wanted to be in the flywheel so i knocked it in. Tight fit. But i cant believe thats whats causing it

any advice?

NorthloopCup

ClioSport Moderator
The input shaft passes through the clutch disc and into the flywheel/crankshaft mate. On some cars they have a bearing on there to act as a support. I'd be pretty confident that cup you've knocked in is what's causing you the grief. Only way to tell 100% is remove the box, put grease on the end of the input shaft and refit. Remove again and look for grease on the cup. If it's there, that's your problem.
Other things to check are the clutch release bearing. Is it the same size as your original, and has it been fitted on the arm correctly.

Pug 206 SW, 172 CUP
A miss is as good as a mile when lining things up. Check it all again.
My Dad eyeballs all the clutches we do as he hasn't had a lot of success with alignment tools. Can't recommend this as if I do it the gearbox never just slides home. Smart ass git he is :p

Jaff.

ClioSport Club Member
Turn the engine a touch, maybe the input shaft splines aren't lining up with the clutch plate splines

MicKPM

ClioSport Trader
  Clio16v/Zoe Z.E.50
That cup is for the alignment tool (which comes with the clutch from Valeo but Renault removes it).

You don't actually need it and a Valeo "Blue" tool will fit in to the crank web perfectly.

It'll most likely be the splines as Jaff said.

Ex 182 owner
Thank you for taking the time to reply all.

It's amusing that the bits you expect to be easy turn out to be hard and vice versa.

I will giving another crack with all the variations suggested.

I had to get someone to turn the engine over slowly via the crank pulley as I pushed on the gearbox to get the splines to align.

Ex 182 owner
Attempt 4... box is on. slackened clutch off again. re-alligned again. gave it one more go with a dap of grease on the end of the shaft and it went in.

Thank you all.

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Just wobbled it up/down and side-to-side like a man. It'll pop on eventually, unless you've completely fucked up the alignment.
The only time I've done anything like this was a gearbox swap on my Mk1 MX5. Did it all by myself with the car on ramps until I was putting the box back on.

Holding a gearbox above your head, trying to get it into position before you can hope to get a bolt or 2 in is definitely a man's game haha. Luckily the bloke in the unit next door happened to be passing (it was a sunday) and popped his head in to offer a hand.

Coops Mk1

ClioSport Club Member
  Lots of Scrap...
refitting a gearbox can be done single handedly on a drive with nothing but axel stands, however its not blummin easy I can tell you. Lying on the floor under the car with a gearbox on your chest is not a nice place to be, particularly if it takes several attempts to get the $$%£ on. Two man job for the ease for me these days!

Ex 182 owner
lol... Atempt 1 with only 1 jack.. did end in my hand being panacked. Note to self...when gearbox starts to fall i can't catch it like a total legend one handed.