ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help for painting engine cover??

RS 182
Hi.
I assume I just unscrew it, prime & then spray on heat-resistent gloss. Leave for a few hours, then stick on the new decals if I can find them?

Anyone got any tips on this job?
I've got a black gold 182.

Thanks.
:)

i started the same thing the other day! i've wet & dried mine down first, gotta start priming today if i get chance

i used regular hammerite on my inlet which would obviously get alot hotter than the engine cover so yea that'd be fine mate!

RS 182
I can't look at the moment but aren't there just 4 allen key bolts holding the cover in place?
If so can someone please tell me the key size ta.

you do your engine cover mate? got mine all painted ready for laquer (in the shed) and a few snowflakes fell on it so gotta prep it all again although i also done my front diamond which escaped the snow and looks spot on!

RS 182
Not yet as I'm at work.
I'm off for 2 weeks now so I'll do it & post some before & after shots.
Would like to see how yours turns out :)

Blk/Gold 182 FF
i fancy doin this, would normal halfords spray paint do, or would you need special heat resistant paint? might do myn in yellow and black.......hmm lol

I've used normal spray paint (same colour as my car) should be alright cos i only used hammerite on my inlet and thats fine. can't see the cover getting 'hot' just maybe warm to be honest.

RS 182
I've just finished keying/priming my engine cover so I'll start stage 2 tomorrow.
I've also taken pics so I can do a beginners guide.

RS 182
Would using 600 then 1200 grit suffice for the prep?

Then follow up with plastic primer?
Should be fine.
I used 800 and 1500 wet & dry. The plastic primer has taken perfectly well after keying with the 800.

From start to finish, painting the engine cover is a 3 day job unless you want to risk ballsing it up.

200 Gordini
So will i be doing this right...?

-Sand down with 600 grit, then sand down with 1200
-Spray plastic primer, let dry
-Layers of paint
-Layers of laquar

Are them stages right? Do i sand wet or dry?

ibiza cupra
i just scotched mine. ther is no need for all the flatting unless you are doing it in silver or light gold type colour. but in black it would only need grey scotching unless it was scratched.

RS 182
So will i be doing this right...?

-Sand down with 600 grit, then sand down with 1200
-Spray plastic primer, let dry
-Layers of paint
-Layers of laquar

Are them stages right? Do i sand wet or dry?
Briefly:
* key plastic surface with 600 wet & dry
* remove dust with tack cloth (or wash)
* 3 or 4 coats of plastic primer (15 minutes + between each coat)
* leave 24 hours then key again with 600
* remove dust as before
* 4 or 5 coats of colour (15 minutes + between each coat)
* leave 24 hours then carefully key with 1200 or 1500 wet & dry with plenty of water
* remove dust again
* as many coats of lacquer as you like (4+)
* leave 24 hours then refit

RS 182
Ok so does the 2.0l 16v decal go on before or after the lacquer layer - I'm really not sure?
Ady reckons before the lacquer & I tend to agree.

Anyone else got any ideas???

200 Gordini
Briefly:
* key plastic surface with 600 wet & dry
* remove dust with tack cloth (or wash)
* 3 or 4 coats of plastic primer (15 minutes + between each coat)
* leave 24 hours then key again with 600
* remove dust as before
* 4 or 5 coats of colour (15 minutes + between each coat)
* leave 24 hours then carefully key with 1200 or 1500 wet & dry with plenty of water
* remove dust again
* as many coats of lacquer as you like (4+)
* leave 24 hours then refit

Probably a stupid question but doesn't sanding it again with the 1200 grit dull the paint finish? :eek:

Ok so does the 2.0l 16v decal go on before or after the lacquer layer - I'm really not sure?
Ady reckons before the lacquer & I tend to agree.

Anyone else got any ideas???

I'd say before the lacquer, thats what i'm going to do anyway

RS 182
Probably a stupid question but doesn't sanding it again with the 1200 grit dull the paint finish? :eek:

I'd say before the lacquer, thats what i'm going to do anyway

According to what's on the lacquer can:

"...Use 1200 grit wet & dry abrasive paper and plenty of water to achieve a matt surface. Removal of the glossy paint surface is necessary to produce the correct lacquered finish..."

I think if you don't sand the finish back you may get that sort of tiny stippling effect. Not sure though.
I've heard others have sanded back the top layer before lacquering & so that's what I'm going to do.

MRBILLYUK

ClioSport Club Member
  FF Jeden Osiem Dwa
No need at all to wet n dry the colour coat unless there are some imperfections . Colour coats , leave to dry 24 hours somewhere warm then a few coats of lacquer , job done .

If you do get any runs in the lacquer then wet n dry and polish up afterwards with some Meguiars scratch X or Carlack 68 polish .