ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Help!! Engine turning over when connecting battery

182 Cup Aus Spec
Hi All
After having starting problems with my 182 i removed starter motor and completed a bench test which indicated the gear was not engaging, only the motor spinning. Bought a new starter motor and fitted today. When connecting the battery back up as soon as the terminals are touching the motor turns over?
Any ideas?
Could i have created a short when moving starter cables out of the way for fitting?
Or could i have a secondary problem with the ignition wiring?
A little out of my depth any advice greatly appreciated.
ps key not in ignition when car trying to start.
Thank you

Clio 172 Merc ML55
Sounds like there's the starter motor wiring is touching parts it shouldn't be and energising as soon as you connect up the battery. Double check the live feed and go from there

The starter solenoid will have been replaced. The solenoid has a small connection on it that will have a long m4/m5 stud on it. This will be too long and making contact with the main feed when bolted to the starter.

182 Cup Aus Spec
Hi,yes the new starter motor had a longer bolt i have off set the power cable by putting a nut on then cable then another nut. Connected battery without starter cranking so definitely not fouling anymore. Now the soleniod is just clicking when trying to start car? I have cleaned battery terminals and tried to jump from another vehicle still only clicking. I am sure the battery is ok as it spins the old starter motor no problem and reads over 12v? Going to clean battery earth to body points. Could the clicking be a relay from ignition? Any other suggestions greatly appreciated. Cheers