ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

{Help} Coil over question,

This guide, http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?t=381744

Talks about a bearing on the front shocks......but goes into no detail.

"Now the shock is out i used 2 spring clamps to compress the spring so i could take the bearing off and place it on the new coilover. Just undo the bolt and take everything off in order and replace it correctly. I gave mine a bit of a clean and greased it again."

Can someone shed some light on this, as i wasnt aware on the 172 id need take anything off the old shocks, just fit the new ones.

Any info, or other guides appreiated....

Si

TTRS & V50
top mount bearing which is on top of the old shock ! when you take the top nut off. transfer that on to the new coilover strut

TTRS & V50
YES + 111

Once you take the top nut off the old strut that spring will come out with force, lol !

Won't need it for the coilovers, just make sure you wind the bottom platforms down so the springs aren't under tension. then transfer the old stuff on the new. and then bin the transport nut the coilover comes with.

When he says 'now the shock is out', i assume he means the strut.

YES + 111

Once you take the top nut off the old strut that spring will come out with force, lol !

Won't need it for the coilovers, just make sure you wind the bottom platforms down so the springs aren't under tension. then transfer the old stuff on the new. and then bin the transport nut the coilover comes with.

When he says 'now the shock is out', i assume he means the strut.

Thanks mate for clearing that up, just some conflict on the forum threads ive read with regards to 172 and not needing damn compressors, best to ask before i blow my face off.

Si

If anyone has some other guides for doing these please post, im tackling this job tomorrow, got myself some nice spring compressors now, so im all set.

Where is best to put the jack stands for the rear? the front is on the box section.

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
You dont need spring clamps, not that you would ever need them to swap over the whole shocks anyway?!

SQ5
You dont need the clamps! and you'll see that when you take them off ss the spring will be uncompressed and jumping about!