ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP - Car won't start

Hi Guys,

MK1 172, I was sitting in my car, in a car park waiting for someone. (BTW - The car had been working perfectly for the drive to the car park.)

I was sitting with the ignition turned off, but was listening to the radio. Was waiting for about 15 minutes when all of a sudden my radio turned itself off.

Strange I thought, so I tried turning it off and on again, didn't work.

So then I tried to start the car and all the lights on dashboard went crazy, but the car wouldn't start, I tried starting again about ten times, same thing happened with the lights, but the car still wouldn't start.

I went to look for the person I was waiting for, and when I returned to the car I tried to start it again. This time the dashboard lights didn't go crazy but came on as usual, however the car still wouldn't start.

I had a look at the fuses and as far as I can tell they are all OK.

So I'm guessing it's either the starter motor or maybe something wrong with the immobiliser...

Anyone got any other ideas...?

2.0 175dci rs meggy
did it turn over??? do you get the led for the immob system flashing???
the radio should turn off automatically after a period of time if the ignition is off!

No the car doesn't turn over at all, nothing happens when I turn the key, other than the lights coming on...

I think the immobiliser is OK, now that I think about it over the last 2 months the car had become harder to start sometimes...Prior to the last couple of months it would always start first time and burst into life when I turned the key...Recently it has sometimes spluttered into life when I started it...

I'll get it booked in to the garage on Monday...

Cheers for the reply...

Mégane RS
Yeah sounds like a battery issue to me, if it was immobliser car could turn over but wouldnt start

Megane R26
i'd prolly say battery. Is it an aftermarket HU? If so, I managed to nuke my battery. Leaving the radio on without the car running, ie alternator not charging battery ruins it. Could be alternator thou. Check the battery terminals for corrosion and also its charge.