ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HELP!! Can select gear but no drive!!! :(

145db Euro'd clio
I was driving home from work tonight and as ive put my foot down to get up the hill it started pulling up the hill then just hit the limiter. then realised i had no drive. in any gear, even reverse. it i put it in gear and rev, the speedo works but the car doesnt move.

There are no wierd noises and there wasnt any wierd noises when it happened either

the gears are selecting, for instance, if i put it in first rev it then try putting it in reverse it will crunch, so the gears are spinning, just not moving the car

Have been told its maybe clutch but im maybe thinking its the diff?

The car is a 1.2 8v (D7F) engine 1998 mk2 ph1

If anyone has any clue as to what it is it'd be greatly appreciated as im in two minds to either scrap it or fix it and sell it.

Cheers
Marc

LiamR172

Scotland - NW
ClioSport Area Rep
I had a similiar problem in my 1.2 16v. Just driving along normally and the next thing thecar started revving and there was no drive.

Turned out to be a tiny spring / washer thing in the gearbox had snapped.

145db Euro'd clio
So do I just need to replace the driveshafts? Had my mechanic look at it and he recons its a driveshaft/cv joint broken up. I forgot to mention that the car is very low. Down about 120mm of the front and the CV joint used to click when turned at slow speeds

best thing to do is drain the box and pop the shaft out all shall be revealed, my money is on the circlip. but with how low the car is and the angle the shaft is going into the diff you could have fubared the the inner joint roller bearings,which is a new shaft job

clio 172
regardless of clicking and car being low im still putting my cash on clips youll do a job breaking a d/shaft so much as to lose drive ;)

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Done both in my time, same symptoms. Easiest way to see if its the outer cv joint is to get some to look under the car whilst its running and in gear and see if either driveshaft is turning. If it is then its the outer cv on that shaft. If not then inner cv or circlip.

Arctic Blue FF 182
Is the circlip a similar fix/setup on these like the 1#2's. Whereby you can remove the N/S driveshaft to see the circlip?

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Is the circlip a similar fix/setup on these like the 1#2's. Whereby you can remove the N/S driveshaft to see the circlip?

Yes it's the same, up until late 03 - early 04 when 1*2 did no longer have the circlip.

My money is on circlip to, easy enough to do.

Yes it's the same, up until late 03 - early 04 when 1*2 did no longer have the circlip.

My money is on circlip to, easy enough to do.

providing nothing else is damaged, when mine went it managed to strip the inner joint which then all the little bits fell in the box and jammed it all up which then sheared the bolts of the upper gearbox mount.

145db Euro'd clio
Can you repair the circlip without taking the box out? Need it repaired asap for the cheapest way possible

Clio T 314hp c43 AMG
Drain oil, remove n/s shaft, if it is your circlip you will need to fish around and try and find the possibly broken circlip, if it's still complete bin it, you will need a new circlip and spacer ring