ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Hellblade - Senua's Sacrifice

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I'm not sure what to make of this. I completed the game last night and... well... hmmm. :tongueout:

Technically, in terms of visuals and audio, it is incredible. Much is made of the binaural effects (which are, really, in integral part of the wider experience) hence listening with a quality pair of headphones is essential. A lot has been made about the development of this title and how it tackles the taboo subject of mental illness and psychosis; hence the main storyline featuring Senua, a female Celtic warrior, who suffers from a chronic mental illness and on which the story develops. Various mental health experts and affected individuals contributed to the game. As a result the 'game' is more a story about her descent into hell and the dark areas of her mind, all wrapped-up in a healthy dose of norse mythology to provide additional context and story. The visuals, at times, are breathtaking. having been involved in computer graphics for a long, long time even I was impressed with what the developers, Ninja Theory, were able to produce with the Unreal Engine. Lots of post-process effects along with some great mocap and acting. The transitions between spaces, moods, etc. and the nicely realised surface properties and light transport are superb - resulting in quite the workout for your GPU of choice. It definitely benefits from a high-end GPU if the top quality settings are what you're after. I have captured several GB's of footage and will post some soon (when I've had time to edit it).

It's not all great though. I found the actual gameplay elements pretty dire. Move from A to B, solve a puzzle, move to C through a door. The rune shape-matching soon became annoying (it was used too often) although I quite enjoyed the puzzles where you had to view certain artifacts in the environment from a specific viewpoint for them to form into 'real' objects. The combat was also very basic and unrewarding. Nicely realised characters and animations could not cover the fact that the combat was boring and - at times - frustrating. Attack patterns were easily learned and there wasn't really a wide enough range of combatants to fight against. At times the 'game' would also throw many, many enemies at you and the auto-camera locked onto an enemy and consequently meant you could not see those attacking you from behind. It also felt a slog at times. That said, a couple of the boss fights were nicely realised but the game mechanics alone are not strong enough to make this title standout.

Anyone else bought / experienced the game?

Evo 5 RS
I think the combat is pretty ace, they've missed a trick there seeing as there's just not enough of it. Not completed yet, but for all they've tried to achieve, it lacks (any) depth

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
I think the combat is pretty ace, they've missed a trick there seeing as there's just not enough of it. Not completed yet, but for all they've tried to achieve, it lacks (any) depth
I'd be interested in hearing what you think when you've completed it... :p
The combat in this could be very good (especially given Ninja Theory's Devil May Cry series) - I just feel it needs more variation given the relative shallow gameplay mechanics on offer elsewhere.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
Another video I created showing a montage of game play clips from across the whole game. As a result there are spoilers in there so avoid if you plan on playing the game through yourself...

Recorded in ultrawide format because I can and it's an awesome way to play games :p

Evo 5 RS
This part towards the end where you're needed to run away from the fire to do (yes, you guessed it) 3 runes, is s**t. It ruins the pace thus far. Ruined the whole thing for me. Total shite and strange decision.

Evo 5 RS
Just that part is shite, I might add - overall it's still engrossed me! I've only started to sympathise with her after about 3 to 4 hours in, but her inner struggle starts to unravel. That one part really took me out of it, though. Some strange design choices in the game.

SharkyUK

ClioSport Club Member
This part towards the end where you're needed to run away from the fire to do (yes, you guessed it) 3 runes, is s**t. It ruins the pace thus far. Ruined the whole thing for me. Total shite and strange decision.
Agreed - completely jarring and pointless - the frustration was high as it took a few attempts to get through it! That's the only part of the game that makes me consider whether or not it's worth playing through again (being relatively short).

Evo 5 RS
Completed it. Pretty clear message once you establish what Sen is hiding/running from. Altogether very well put together and deserving of the great reviews, just a few strange design choices. I don't think there's enough there to make me play through it again. Especially given it doesn't unlock any chapter selections. Don't really want to go on a rune hunt again simply to enjoy the great free flowing combat.

Oh, and the mo-capture and graphics are simply the best. It's a must play TBH. I'd just recommend those who aren't sure to wait till it's super cheap, as it's difficult to know what you're expecting from it.