ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heater Front Screen for Mk2 Clio????

Race/Rally Clio 172
I have a Clio Cup racer that has prevoiusly had a heated front screen as there is a switch for it and when ive had the scuttle panel off the wires are there but taped up and cable tied out of the way.

As we know the little heater that comes in these cars is worse than a 2v hair drier.

Does anyone know where i can get a heated screen from? The car was used in the Euro Saloons and is yellow if someone knows the previous owner maybe i can get in touch with them to find out.

Many thanks

FatRS

ClioSport Club Member
  Megane 250
I don't know for sure but maybe try R Sport, Wimbledon I believe. They supply parts for Clio Cup cars.

220 Trophy
Are these easy to wire in as a retro-fit? Presumably all they’ll need is a fused switch and say the live that used to go to the cigar-lighter or similar?

Are these easy to wire in as a retro-fit? Presumably all they’ll need is a fused switch and say the live that used to go to the cigar-lighter or similar?

Diagrams for wiring on that website up there. You need two circuits as the screen is split in half. Pass/driver.

They are not difficult to wire in Mark but they have a fairly big draw and are rated at 25amps per side

To the OP aswell, when you fit the windscreen make sure you seal around the edge of the glass or the element will be ruined in a matter of weeks (I've learned the hard way)

220 Trophy
Thanks Adam/James. Will take another look at the site as didn't see any wiring diagrams originally. Blimey 25 amps is fairly heavy-duty but no doubt the old heater or fan would be a similar draw and I can use that feed. Hi James - when you say seal around the edge of the glass, do you mean with some insulation tape for example or just use loads of Tiger-seal or the like.

220 Trophy
Just took a look at the site and as clear as day saw the wiring diagram!! Why would we need a relay? And what would the relay do with regards a heated-windscreen? Surely a simple on/off switch would do and once the screen has cleared you'd turn the switch off, perhaps if the switch was lit you'd remember to turn it off better.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Without wanting to be rude mate, do you understand car electrics? For a load like that you definitely want to be using a relay and take the power feed direct from the battery if adding something in aftermarket imo. Also it means you can wire it so you don't accidentally leave it on when the ignition is off.

220 Trophy
Perhaps I don’t know as much as I should. I have an battery isolation switch that I turn off when not using the car so as not to drain the battery - so the windscreen would never be left on, also that's why I suggested a switch that was lit up when on. I don’t use half my relays so could one of those but just don’t understand why we would need a relay for a heated-windscreen?

Yes Mark basically need to seal around the laminated edge of the glass so ask the windscreen fitter to do it with the PU adhesive they fit the screen with :)

The reason for a relay is to take the load from the switch so in a 25A circuit with no relay you would be putting all the load through the switch and that isn't good, Run a relay and the switch would be seeing next to no load. It means you can run thinner cables for the switching circuit thus saving weight. If I were you Mark I would install it as per most OE car's and fit a timed relay with a push momentary switch. That way you press the button and the screen will be on for 10 mins it will clear and that will be enough. If you need it again just a quick press and job done :)

Edit: Dont forget you need two identical circuits so without a relay the one switch would be controlling 50 amps

220 Trophy
Thanks James. Noted re sealing the screen. Electrics look more in depth than I thought so no DIY switch then!! I could just use the relay slot and part of the loom that used to go to the old rear window. With regards the two circuits would the one relay control both?

220 Trophy
Thanks, will get the Haynes Manual out with the wiring diagrams, didn't realise the heated screens were so 'cheap' so definitely something to add to the to-do list.

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
Yeah must admit I had no idea either. Next time I need one it's a definite purchase! Anyone know how much it costs labour wise to change windscreens.

Not sure labour wise as I have a mate who does most of mine but I imagine around £50 for a swap. The only advice I can give is the screen will only last as long as the quality of job you/ the fitter does on sealing the edge. I repeated this to the company that did my first heated screen but they chose not to listen and the screen was knackered within a month!

220 Trophy
Yes Mark basically need to seal around the laminated edge of the glass so ask the windscreen fitter to do it with the PU adhesive they fit the screen with :)

The reason for a relay is to take the load from the switch so in a 25A circuit with no relay you would be putting all the load through the switch and that isn't good, Run a relay and the switch would be seeing next to no load. It means you can run thinner cables for the switching circuit thus saving weight. If I were you Mark I would install it as per most OE car's and fit a timed relay with a push momentary switch. That way you press the button and the screen will be on for 10 mins it will clear and that will be enough. If you need it again just a quick press and job done :)

Edit: Dont forget you need two identical circuits so without a relay the one switch would be controlling 50 amps

Hi James. I'm finally getting around to ordering a heated screen and am ok with the wiring now. Do you please have a name/model/photo for the timed relay - possibly the one for the rear screen would do? Thanks Mark

220 Trophy
Thanks for the link James. I have a spare relay board so I can plan which spare sockets to use and how to wire the windscreen in before I do it for real. Wish me luck....

220 Trophy
James, quick question - what connections do the heated elements have, i.e a couple of spade connections, or may be a length of wire etc?? Also would I have to have the car connections in place before the window is fitted or could I have it fitted and then sort the electrics at a later date? - Just planning logistics/fitting and when I would have chance to do the wiring. Thanks Mark

220 Trophy
Thanks Adam, so the screen will come with a length of wire/s attached to it and I could just have it fitted and join the wires to the circuit at a later date?

As Adam says it's just two wires either side of the screen Mark. I still need to sort a couple of connectors out for them on mine. You can do it either way you just need to have the dash off at some point to run the wires. Good luck :)

220 Trophy
Thanks guys, I'm ordering it from the link you provided Adam so hopefully it will come with the same 4 wires. If I haven't done the circuitry by then I can have it fitted and sealed in and then connect the wires up at a later date. TBH I think I'll be ok with the circuitry, like I said I have a spare fuse board that I can 'practice' the layout on first before I go live (literally!!).

220 Trophy
I was planning on drilling a couple of small holes, with grommets, to behind the dashboard rather than the wires running along my OCD cleaned & Waxoiled scuttle-panel.

220 Trophy
James/Adam, two quick questions - just checking when you say seal the screen in that you mean with the window bonding sealant and make sure it has a bead all the way around covering the edge of the screen? With regards the switch, presumably this has to be one that switches on as you press a button (therefore sending a live to the relay) but then switches off as you release the button?

220 Trophy
The screen is fitted!!

Just need to sort out the electrics now. I've extended the two sets of two wires attached to the screen and fed them into the cabin through some small grommets. Have already bought two 25A in-line fuses which I will feed directly from the battery isolator switch, a momentary push switch which I will feed from a ignition-on live and then I just have to purchase two timed relays which I will get from the link James provided. Anything else I need to get or do? Thanks Mark

The screen is fitted!!

Just need to sort out the electrics now. I've extended the two sets of two wires attached to the screen and fed them into the cabin through some small grommets. Have already bought two 25A in-line fuses which I will feed directly from the battery isolator switch, a momentary push switch which I will feed from a ignition-on live and then I just have to purchase two timed relays which I will get from the link James provided. Anything else I need to get or do? Thanks Mark
Sounds good to me Mark :) I'm just wiring mine as an on off switch and try not to leave it on.

220 Trophy
No worries, they're ordered now and will be piece of mind having a timed relay I suppose. I searched the net using my 'old' relay part numbers to see if any were timed because I assumed the rear window relay one would be but none appear to be. Perhaps the UCH does the timing?? Have you made up a new relay board or are you using spare slots in the main board?

Djw John

Scotland - South
ClioSport Area Rep
I'm considering wiring 1 timed relay up to the 2 normal relays. So switch>timed relay>2 normal relays>window. Dunno why I want to do it like that, probably just more to go wrong over buy 2 timed relays but hey, its good to be different/retarded.

220 Trophy
It would work and would save you the cost of one of the timed relays I suppose. Although for the sake of the cost of an additional timed relay it would be a lot 'tidier'!