ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Heart beat light caused by using the accelerator

Clio 172
Another problem..

On the way home, went to pull off a slip road with a bit of pace, I used the whole of the accelerator travel (I.e, went in to the notch when it's full depressed, think iv read it's to cancel cruise control/speed limiter?), soon as I went into that notch, the car immediately stopped accelerating and the heartbeat light came on.

I pulled over, tried to rev and it didn't even move. Turned it off and on and the fault was cleared. Brilliant, must of been chucking its toys out the pram i thought! Pull off the hard shoulder with a bit of care, when I'm on the carriageway I floor it, but without going in to the notch and it's fine. Soon as I pressed it further in, it did exactly the same. Instead of stopping, I just turned the key off and flicked it back on, effectively bumping it. I know I shouldn't of but would of been hard to pull over!

Now, as a side note, not sure when it came on, but after I flicked the key I noticed the EML light was on. Did flicking the key do that?

Got it home, and it's definetlly to do with the notch/100% throttle. I turned the engine off, and left the ignition on, and pushing the accelerator up to the notch, and holding it DOESN'T turn on the light. soon as you go in to it it flicks the light on, and the engine isn't even on!

I then locked the car and unlocked it, magically it doesn't do it at all! I have noticed though, when the engine is off you can really hear the butterfly openof and closing, even sitting in the car with the bonnet shut, is this normal? I did video it lol.

Anyway, what is the reason behind this? Could it be related to the pedal? Or is it possibly a throttle body problem?

Id anyone can help I will appreciate it a lot

Thanks again
Jamie

FF Clio 182 Silver
pre cat-sensor knackered or your throttle body is goosed (i have one for sale) if you need it

Got the same issue, it's to do with the pedal, the fly by wire resistors (or whatever they are called), and the wiring back to the ECU and or fuse box, get your codes read and bet you'll have the same as mine. Detailed in antoher thread in the faults section. I'm taking mine up to Mick at Diamond Motors to sort and it shouldn't cost an arm an a leg either...basically he'll test all with a CLIP and rather than fix the faulty wiring just run new wires (leaving the old one cut and rendundant) to\from wherever to remove the fault (quicker and cheaper this way).

If you can wait mine's going up next week and should be sorted come 28th May and I'll update on the work\cost etc.

Not being harsh but all the renew this renew that etc dosen't really help.. Mick explained that 95% of these faults are down to sh1t n corruption in connectors or broken\damaged wiring.

Wait for mine to be done.....

Clio 172
pre cat-sensor knackered or your throttle body is goosed (i have one for sale) if you need it

Quick question, can you hear it open/close loudly with the engine off, but ignition on?

Cos I can, doesn't sound right! Even sitting in the car bonnet down windows up. How much you selling it for mate? Out of curiosity?

Thanks for replying
Jsmie

Clio 172
Got the same issue, it's to do with the pedal, the fly by wire resistors (or whatever they are called), and the wiring back to the ECU and or fuse box, get your codes read and bet you'll have the same as mine. Detailed in antoher thread in the faults section. I'm taking mine up to Mick at Diamond Motors to sort and it shouldn't cost an arm an a leg either...basically he'll test all with a CLIP and rather than fix the faulty wiring just run new wires (leaving the old one cut and rendundant) to\from wherever to remove the fault (quicker and cheaper this way).

If you can wait mine's going up next week and should be sorted come 28th May and I'll update on the work\cost etc.

Yeah I won't be able to get it fixed any time soon! Could you let me know the cost etc please :)

Hoping it's not that! I'm to skint to even get the codes read atm

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!

Not being harsh but all the renew this renew that etc dosen't really help.. Mick explained that 95% of these faults are down to sh1t n corruption in connectors or broken\damaged wiring.

Wait for mine to be done.....

I disagree, wiring faults account for a small proportion of this issue. Changing the throttle body fixes it the vast majority of the time

Clio 172
I'm hoping it's the throttle body! Did you have an EML too? I need to get the faults read first though, ideally!

Is there anyway to get a cheapo fault code reader?

182 FF, A6 Avant
Yes, EML and heartbeat light. Do you get the 3krpm limit when it's on? And the fault goes when turning on/off?

Clio 172
Yes, EML and heartbeat light. Do you get the 3krpm limit when it's on? And the fault goes when turning on/off?

When the heartbeat light is on, the car won't even rev! Just idles no matter what you do, but yes goes with turning off and on. Bizarrely it stopped doing it all together when I locked and unlocked the car!

FF Clio 182 Silver
the 'heartbeat' symbol is limp mode, wont let you go past 3000rpm iirc. ive pm'd you about the throttle body which should cure this problem

DON'T SEND ME PM'S!!
GDI never did immobiliser stuff, and it's not existed for over 3 years (I used to work there). To my knowledge it's only ph1 ecus that can have an emulator fitted to fool the immobiliser.

Steering lock I can do, and I have spare TB's on the shelf too.

Time to consider a Canems Pete ;) Working on support for race dashes at the moment

Clio 172
the 'heartbeat' symbol is limp mode, wont let you go past 3000rpm iirc. ive pm'd you about the throttle body which should cure this problem

I read that the "heartbeat" symbol means electrical fault? Could be wrong though? But car definitely won't rev with the light on. I will wait for the fault to come back then fix it!

Cheers

oh ok, small world - think this will be an over the winter thing - had a look at the website what's required with one of their ecu's- just started a thread in your trader section to save spamming Jay-g's ...

Clio 172
Here's the video of the butterfly noise! Is it normal? All I'm doing is pressing the Pedal all the way down, then up again

Clio 172
Didn't mean to post that! Here's the video

http://img32.imageshack.us/img32/8857/file6664.mp4
file6664.mp4

Can't work out how to imbed on the app :( first one should work!

It's more than a clicking, should hear it there!

"Navy" N17 TWO
Bit of a bump but my car is being a bit of a plonker this week

Heartbeat light comes on at random, usually after a bit of a spirited drive and the revs are limited to about 2.5k

No other lights on the dash or anything, get the occasional emissions light on but it always comes on solo too :S