ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight washers.... removal

S4 Avant
Yes, but no one ever checks. Mine don't even work FFS.

People have removed them before, and just replaced with the cup washer blanks

Some tiny windscreen washer jets instead?

Thought I'd embarrassed myself suggesting that (I do like to think outside the box)......but it might actually work. I need to find a car that has washer jets (windscreen or headlight) that kinda look like a pair of those rubber grommets - discreet, low profile domes, but with one or two brass/ball/jet things in them that could be directed up at the headlights. They'd be absolutely useless at cleaning the headlights obviously - but so are the Renault items. They'd cover all bases.

Don't worry for my sanity people.........just a little ocd methinks (see my thread on ordering number plates from Fancyplates for further proof :eek: )

A moody 182
Thought I'd embarrassed myself suggesting that (I do like to think outside the box)......but it might actually work. I need to find a car that has washer jets (windscreen or headlight) that kinda look like a pair of those rubber grommets - discreet, low profile domes, but with one or two brass/ball/jet things in them that could be directed up at the headlights. They'd be absolutely useless at cleaning the headlights obviously - but so are the Renault items. They'd cover all bases.

Don't worry for my sanity people.........just a little ocd methinks (see my thread on ordering number plates from Fancyplates for further proof :eek: )

Well keep me informed if you think of which sort are best...

I gave up worrying about my own sanity years ago so I wouldnt worry about being OCD about your car

Becca ;)

Well keep me informed if you think of which sort are best...

I gave up worrying about my own sanity years ago so I wouldnt worry about being OCD about your car

Becca ;)
Will do Becca.

Oh, not just about my car - OCD about everything.........:rolleyes:

Are you sexually harassing me?...........carry on ;)

(and there's me trying to treat the girls on here with respect, as equals, blah, blah....:) )

Last edited:

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
Mine are currently hanging off but I don't have xenons anymore, but they never worked properly and leaked everywhere constantly.. BUT still passed the last 3 MOT's without an issue..

b/g 182, meg tourer
hi.
i was sick and tired of leaking headlight washers and with them spraying my car when it was clean! lol. so i plugged up the pipe going to them and removed the washer jets and fitted very cheap rubber gromets. looks great imo. and i have had no trouble at all with 2 mot's. get it done.

DSC01748.jpg

DSC01832.jpg

fcs10.jpg

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
I want them grommets, mine are coming off when the bumper is next off for sure, infact they may just come off in my hand if I pull them hard enough! :D

I think if they're there and not operational - you'd need a really fussy mot tester to fail it.

Not there at all - just depends.

Out of interest Luke - do you know what diameter the holes are? (no worries if you don't, I guess it may be a bit fiddly fitting those grommets.)

b/g 182, meg tourer
I want them grommets, mine are coming off when the bumper is next off for sure, infact they may just come off in my hand if I pull them hard enough! :D

halfords dan. thats where i got mine. just make sure you get domed ones so that they finish flush with the bumper :) its another weight saving for you too ;)

Greeny.

ClioSport Club Member
  440i + 182
halfords dan. thats where i got mine. just make sure you get domed ones so that they finish flush with the bumper :) its another weight saving for you too ;)

I think I have some in the garage from blanking my rear wiper if not ill have a look in halfords, ta.

b/g 182, meg tourer
Out of interest Luke - do you know what diameter the holes are? (no worries if you don't, I guess it may be a bit fiddly fitting those grommets.)

sorry mate, just noticed this post.
just measured the hole the washer jets leave and its 14mm. i have a gromet in there thats meant for 13mm holes and it works a treat. the outer diameter of the gromet i have is 20mm. you need to make sure the gromet you buy is at least 20mm overall diameter to cover the hole as it has a notch as well as a hole :) hope it helps.

b/g 182, meg tourer
Looks like they will definately coming off....

I have no worries on the MOT front ;)

get them in the bin then ;)
i think the black gromets i have will look fine on a blue car too. they are tiny, and the washer jets are bloody great black things anyway.

Cheers for that Luke :D

Didn't know about the notch.

Yeah, think I'll probably take mine off when I get chance and fit grommets (still considering fitting some really discreet windscreeen washer jets though - assuming I can find something suitable.)

b/g 182, meg tourer
yeah, tiny washer jets might be really good actually. just go off the measurements i gave you, you should be albe to find something, and connecting the pipework should be easy.

Could be an issue with them being below the level of the washer bottle - not really meant for it. Not that Renault seem able to design headlight washers that don't leak. Depends if I actually want to try and make them work. Some kind of valve may help - needs more thought.