ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Restoration Help

1.2 Campus Sport
Hello Everyone,

This is my first post on this forum so I hope that you will be able to help me :)

First of all I would like to apologise for being a little bit simple. I'm not that much of a technical person.

I purchased a Restoration kit from Halfords for £19.99 and to be honest I feel like it was the biggest waste of money I have ever spent. My headlights had what seemed to be oxidisation on them so I started by using the sponge drill adapter and attacked them with the cream the kit provided. However, after spending about 20 minutes with it, I noticed that it was little to no different from what I started with. I did not take any pictures before trying the kit but here are some images of what it's currently like.

I have read on this forum that 800 Grit Dry and Wet sand paper works a dream. But I don't want to try this unless it doesn't work and makes it worse, not to mention where I would get it..

Left
11272134034_99451f3daf.png

11272097336_81a719e249.png

11272154503_beb13927e9.png

Right
11272058226_f5d273d6f9.png

11272108373_6fdcab44d3.png

11271983235_eee94bd9e7.png

Any idea where Im going horribly wrong?

Thanks,
FuSSionZ

172 ph2
You really need to flat them down.. Honestly using anything like 1500 will not touch them try 800 then work up to 1500.

Awaits the 'use 2000 nothing else comments'

But what do I no I've only been doing it 13 years.

Tbh from what ive read those kits arent great and require quite a bit of work to get the desired effect.

I recently did mine on my Ph1 with wet & dry and some fast cut on the rotary polisher. However if you dont have a DA or rotary you can work it on by hand or some scratch x but it will just take a bit longer

You wont want to go for anything more aggresive than 1200 IMO, i started with 1500 and it was perfect. Take a look at my thread below

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?724396-headlight-correction-with-rotary-polisher

or my project thread with more pics

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?721416-Titanium-Ph1-172

Last edited:
You really need to flat them down.. Honestly using anything like 1500 will not touch them try 800 then work up to 1500.

Yes you may have been doing it 13 years but seriously anything more than 1200 is a waste of time! Many have already proved this to be the case and i do believe its come up quite recently

800 on plastic lights is just creating more work for yourself IME

1.2 Campus Sport

Im quite tempted just to do exactly that. I recently bought some 182 Projectors from eBay and one of them is new and the other is slightly oxidised so this is why I was wondering. Plus, it looks so much better with cleaner headlights.

when you say work up to 1500 from 800, I presume you mean working through the different types like 800>900>1000 etc?

Thanks
FuSSionZ

172 ph2
nu8abu8u.jpg

Started with a 500 abralon disk. (This alone left them in a better condition) please don't go buy 500 from your local bnq/halfords/motor factors and scratch the hell out of the lenses.

1.2 Campus Sport
Yes you may have been doing it 13 years but seriously anything more than 1200 is a waste of time! Many have already proved this to be the case and i do believe its come up quite recently

800 on plastic lights is just creating more work for yourself IME

What do you suggest then? I don't to create any more issues with scratched up headlights.

Thanks,

FuSSionZ

Inferno 225 cup
This is my work I did for my mate, done a lot of these now for family and friends and started with 800 grit, soapy water In spray bottle to keep spraying down and wiping to unveil what it was looking like.

So il keep using that process.

evupaqev.jpg

a2ymadus.jpg

a4agyper.jpg

a9ydu7aj.jpg

qa3yhazy.jpg

bagyrype.jpg

Used megs 83&82 ok cutting and polishing pads.

1.2 Campus Sport
Wow that is defiantly the result that I am after!
Megs 83 & 82? Is that Polish then?
Thanks,
FuSSionZ

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I've done my first one properly the other day
1200,1500,2000,3000 then on my rotary 3m ultrafina then plastic x
came up like new.

Clio182 turb Audi S5
Just pay someone who knows what there doing instead of f**king them up! Had mine done £40 no hassle like new job done

Clio v6
This should be the way the OP should do it.

Will maintain that you don't need anything harsher than 1200.

I'll be doing this next week as mine look like the OP's, planning on using similar grit then some menz polish on a DA, hopefully that'll do the job. Some of the pics on here look like new afterwards!

lemonnobby

ClioSport Club Member
I was going to go lower as there were some deep marks but i thought ill go 1200 you can work back. but once your fudged it that's it.

AB 182 FF
I need to get this done too. Would do it myself but getting lots of conflicting advice and in my experience always f**k up things like this! Anyone able to help in the Cambridgeshire area? More than happy to compensate you for your time and since being a 182 owner I'm always looking for an excuse to go for a drive!!! :D

CrippsCorner

ClioSport Club Member
  Astra VXR
Done these a few times now... last time I went 1200/1500/2000/2500/Scratch-X/Mer and the result isn't too bad :)

1.2 Campus Sport
Thanks for all the help everyone! Sounds like there are a lot of ways to do it.
I myself am going to try 800 > 1000 > 1200 > 1500 > Polish. Ill let you all know how it goes!