ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Headlight Correction..

Mental 172 Cup
There has probably been loads of these threads, apologies if so, I went out with a bucket of water, some wet and dry, my rotary and some meguiars scratch x 2.0..

My Xenons on my cup have been pretty mank for ages and after buying a new rotary backing plate and pad I thought I'd give it a go..

Here was the state of it before..

8fd4ab45.jpg

8cc53033.jpg

3df79dbe.jpg

During the process once I had finished with the wet and dry..

d474dbc0.jpg

Applied the Scratch X with the rotary and Voila..

5ba9f8eb.jpg

79517c91.jpg

e24178dd.jpg

I think I'll do them again when I do the otherside and finish with SRP but they are pretty much back to brand new, considering the state of them previous they came up pretty good..

C&C Welcome..

Luke.

Seat Ibiza
Wow, what a turn around! Did you just follow the guide on here!? If not share your secrets :)

Mine are worse than that, might give it ago this afternoon!

Mental 172 Cup
No I just kinda made it up as I went along and with the resources I had.

Used Wet and Dry 800, 1000, 1200, 1500, 2000 and then 3000.

Then Meguiars Scratch X on a rotary pad..

800 is far too coarse, but at least you followed it up through the grades. Looks good. Tad dull in areas but nothing another quick rotary treatment won't fix.

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
800! Jesus H! I used to finish my Filler repairs will 800!

Mental 172 Cup
They were pretty bad too be honest so 800 did the trick.

Ive not finished yet but still looks 1000x better then it did.

Will have a play with some more polish the weekend. Want to try and seal them with something. So it doesn't come back..

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
I'm going to be tackling mine soon, what would people suggest to seal them?

i know its going to come back but if i can make it that it doesn't come back as quick that would be great.

MatthewR

ClioSport Club Member
BOOM.

Jokes, i could do with getting that anyway for my plastics. will the small bottle cover the door strips, rear bumper (1.2) headlights, and front bumper inserts?

Clio MK2 1.4 16v
They were pretty bad too be honest so 800 did the trick.

Ive not finished yet but still looks 1000x better then it did.

Will have a play with some more polish the weekend. Want to try and seal them with something. So it doesn't come back..

Wait till you see mine. They are even worst than yours. :(

Black Sheep
800 is far too coarse, but at least you followed it up through the grades. Looks good. Tad dull in areas but nothing another quick rotary treatment won't fix.

What grade would you recommend starting with, mines are just as bad as lukes.

Mental 172 Cup

Use the same to get the worst of you may have to give them a damn good polish after, unless you have a Machine Polisher.

If not then 1000 upwards will be okay..

Use the same to get the worst of you may have to give them a damn good polish after, unless you have a Machine Polisher.

If not then 1000 upwards will be okay..

I whole heartedly disagree, Luke. 800 grit is very coarse. I wouldn't take 800 to a wooden door, let alone thin plastic.

Slob, 2000-3000 will be plenty. It is a build up and a reaction on the surface of the plastic, not a deep seated "infection" of the material. Therefore you want to remove the minute surface imperfection. The lighter the better. It may take longer, but you are also very unlikely to leave irreparable marks in the plastic.

Mental 172 Cup
But there is nothing wrong with mine IMO, with a bit more time and light (as it got dark) they would have been perfect...

But there is nothing wrong with mine IMO, with a bit more time and light (as it got dark) they would have been perfect...

Appreciate that in your opinion they look fine. But I guarantee that if you shine direct light onto them, you will see scratches.

Mental 172 Cup
Appreciate that in your opinion they look fine. But I guarantee that if you shine direct light onto them, you will see scratches.

In direct sunlight and artificial light not a mark at all, however they do require more attention and a good seal then they will be perfect...

Will just continue with the finer stuff now as I've got the worst out..

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
I whole heartedly disagree, Luke. 800 grit is very coarse. I wouldn't take 800 to a wooden door, let alone thin plastic.

Slob, 2000-3000 will be plenty. It is a build up and a reaction on the surface of the plastic, not a deep seated "infection" of the material. Therefore you want to remove the minute surface imperfection. The lighter the better. It may take longer, but you are also very unlikely to leave irreparable marks in the plastic.
I ordered 2000-3000 after reading this. It's arrived and it feels barely any rougher than printing paper but I have faith in your advice.