ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

hazards wont stop flashing?

mx5 turbo
right got a problem on my other halfs clio 172 cup

she was driving to work this morning and suddenly hazards started flashing!

she pressed button in and out a few times but nothing happens!

she pulled over and they went off but they quickly came back on!

everything else is fine, it drives fine, starts, and locks etc etc.

i got her to drive it home and on the way home they were flashing, then stopping then coming back on!

ive tried take the hazardswitch out but that makes no difference!

any ideas what it is??? its a 52 plate 172 cup! in blue if it makes any difference lol!

many thanks

Da

Less
Do the wipers and headlights still function ok?

It's generally the switch when they start playing up, did you unplug the switch when you removed it?

Sash

ClioSport Club Member
  A Yellow One
usually the hazard switch is to blame.

Could be a relay?

mx5 turbo
yes have removed the switch and its still happening!

the switch sometimes turns the hazards on and off, then suddenly they will start flashign again! it seems to do it more with the ignition off!

have removed the battery but that hasnt worked!

everything else works purfectly!

Megane dci 130
Iv had this problem on many 172 cups and it always seems to be the cups that do it.

Its water in the alarm. Remove the scuttle panel/wipers/wiper mechanism and you will see the siren.

Dissconect it and they should stop flashing.

Hope this helps!

mx5 turbo
Thanks mate, wil try that! Have just took it 4 a drive and put wipers on and that stopped them flashing 4 a minute, but then they came bk on!

mx5 turbo
right, there isnt anywhere on the alarm to turn it off??? the wire goes to the inside of the siren, i cant just unplug it?

the hazard switch still works though? it clicks like normal and when the hazards arent flashing it turns it on and off perfectly.? so thinking a new switch wouldnt sort it?

the fault is intermitent, it does it for a while, then stops, then does it again? is there anything i can do to see if its 100% going to be uch???

clio 172
when they go off do they still flash wen the engine is turned off?? i took the hazzard fuse out and the hazzard button was still flashing but no lights but got a new switch and sorted it so far.

mx5 turbo
They stil flash wen engine is off! If i take fuse out it stops flashing everywhere but obvious we then have no idicators. I really need to find out what it is! please help lol?

Megane dci 130
right, there isnt anywhere on the alarm to turn it off??? the wire goes to the inside of the siren, i cant just unplug it?

the hazard switch still works though? it clicks like normal and when the hazards arent flashing it turns it on and off perfectly.? so thinking a new switch wouldnt sort it?

the fault is intermitent, it does it for a while, then stops, then does it again? is there anything i can do to see if its 100% going to be uch???

No you cant just turn them off, you have to unplug it by undoing the 3 screws.

mx5 turbo
tryed a new hazard switch and its still doing it!

if i put the wipers on full blast it stops it for a while!

also when i put the windows up and down theres a loud like click from passenger footwell that we have never heard before.

so im guessing thats its going to be the uch!?!?

is there any guides to takling it off or any pics of what it looks like? i persume the best place is to send it to bba-reman???

any help would be great

thanks

clio 172
just googled it and it came up with this
th_7B9F9838C6-62A7-4A5B-A77C-3FAC7BCC1.gif
not sure if this is actually it but might be

Megane dci 130
That picture looks nothing like a UCH.
Could be a UCH fault though but the click is normal.

Have you actually tried unplugging the alarm as I said?

BMW M135i
tryed a new hazard switch and its still doing it!

if i put the wipers on full blast it stops it for a while!

also when i put the windows up and down theres a loud like click from passenger footwell that we have never heard before.

so im guessing thats its going to be the uch!?!?

is there any guides to takling it off or any pics of what it looks like? i persume the best place is to send it to bba-reman???

any help would be great

thanks
They stil flash wen engine is off! If i take fuse out it stops flashing everywhere but obvious we then have no idicators. I really need to find out what it is! please help lol?
They will do because the alarm is battery backed up. Its the alarm if it doing it when its the battery is disconnected stop worring about the uch. And that click will have been there before thats the relay for the auto open/close on the drivers side engerising the denergising. You'll hear the same noise if you turn the rear heated screen on and for whatever reason (imagine cost) renault used relays that click.

mx5 turbo
right i sent the uch off to be tested and it is fine!

im guessing its going to be alarm then, but would it be alarm, as when i turn wipers on it stops?? surely the wipers and alarm arent connected?

BMW M135i
Swear i've ready that somewhere else first?? :p

The alarm and the wipers aren't connected but the alarm does live in the skuttle panel right under the wipers so theres a connection between them somewhere (not necesarrily electrical). You need to get the skuttle off and have a poke about it'll most probably root down to water ingress into the alarm I imagine.

182 & Porsche 986
i had the same problem last winter, weirdly everytime i turned right(or left cant remember) they would come on, and whenever it rained they would come on aswell, took the scuttle panel off and tried to stop water getting near any wires etc (duck tape... :S) and its never happened since.

172DD Cup
searching for info and came across this old thread. in case anyone else has this issue.... i had the problem and it was water in the alarm. a quick fix is to pull the hazard switch and trace the pink wire that connects to the back of the switch and you should find a black/white wire soldered onto the pink wire. i cut the black/white wire and this fixed my problem. i can resolder it once i sort the alarm out.

My car decided to develop this problem this morning, meaning that I was woken up at 6am... Don't know why it decided to do it though!!!

How do you get the scuttle panel off?

I've had he hazard Switch off, but that makes no difference, so vie got to drive to work without indicators now, grrrrreat!!!

172DD Cup
My car decided to develop this problem this morning, meaning that I was woken up at 6am... Don't know why it decided to do it though!!!

How do you get the scuttle panel off?

I've had he hazard Switch off, but that makes no difference, so vie got to drive to work without indicators now, grrrrreat!!!

you didn't fancy my quick fix in the post above?

to get to the alarm you have to remove the wipers, then scuttle panel, then wiper motor.

you didn't fancy my quick fix in the post above?

to get to the alarm you have to remove the wipers, then scuttle panel, then wiper motor.
I don't fancy cutting things that don't need to be cut tbh... I like to have the job done proper with my cars, no quick fixes.
And come MOT time, I'd be in the same predicament as doesn't the hazard button have to work.

172DD Cup
I don't fancy cutting things that don't need to be cut tbh... I like to have the job done proper with my cars, no quick fixes.
And come MOT time, I'd be in the same predicament as doesn't the hazard button have to work.

:S:) you're missing the point! you're not cutting the hazard light wire, you're cutting the alarm wire that sends the signal to the hazard lights. assuming the switch is good, the hazard lights will work fine. you mentioned the scuttle panel so you suspect the alarm may be water damaged. my quick fix is not a permanent fix, it just means the alarm can't interfere with the hazard lights/ indicators. it also means i can drive around with indicators until i can get a new alarm unit. :)

We've had the scuttle panel off and it just seems that it's the siren located under there. There wasn't anything there to unplug.

Has anybody got any other ideas?
My dad reckons it could be the button because when you press it in, it doesn't give any power or sum mat, when he tested it.

172DD Cup
it's an all in one unit, the siren contains the brains. there should be a load of wires going into it. you need to unscrew the triangular shaped piece of plastic on the side of the unit where the wires disappear into. this will allow you access to the plug. doesn't look like it's meant to be pulled out, but if you pull it hard enough it comes out :)

Stage 2 Meg Trophy
I know I'm dragging up an old thread but had this issue on my 182 today have disconnected alarm and hazards have finally stopped. But what do I do next is it worth trying to dry out the alarm and reinstall it with some sort of extra sealing? Or just leave it unplugged

Thanks

Pete

Mk5 golf gti
i have found its the alarm going off but the siren is knackered so the hazards flash but you hear nothing

unlock and lock a few times sorted my old one, use to do it now and again

172DD Cup
on mine i removed the alarm cable via the method above and you could see one of the pins on the big white plug was really rusty up. i opened up the alarm (figured it was dead anyway) and there was a lovely black patch on the circuit board. it also smelt a bit.

Stage 2 Meg Trophy
Mine was fine and the alarm sounded for ages when I removed it. Two of the wires on the plug are exposed a bit so gonna dry them out a but then insulate them and try again.

172DD Cup
yeah they got 6 cell batteries inside them. i noticed mine still smelling a long while after i removed it.

Z4
Issues with hazard lights, indicators, central locking etc could be the uch box, I tried to sticky a thread on it ages ago but it never got stuck!
Search my threads if you need to :)