ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Have i made the right choice? :)

a black one
I had about 3k to spend on my first car, i just bought a 1.2 16v clio 54 plate metallic black with alloys ect, no a/c but hey ho. Just wondering how nippy these were in comparisson with other popular first cars, saxos pugs ect, but yeah, how quick are they away from the lights, also was this a good descision to buy this car? :) I havnt drove it yet because A) havnt passed my test and B) No tax/insurance as of yet,

On another note, have got a few plans for the car, getting it lowered, new stereo, thinking of an alpine and some new speakers, however as of yet not too sure.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated!

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
They are slow, just like most first cars. Acknowledge this fact, drive it sensibly, build up some no claims and buy a faster car in the future. You haven't passed your test and your already asking how fast it is, screw your head on!

Welcome to the forum btw.

Jap Box
They are slow, just like most first cars. Acknowledge this fact, drive it sensibly, build up some no claims and buy a faster car in the future. You haven't passed your test and your already asking how fast it is, screw your head on!

Welcome to the forum btw.

This, you will also need to learn how to keep up momentum in order to move while going up hills as it is dangerously slow!

a black one
Cheers for the welcome ;) I understand what you are saying but i just wanted to know if it was nippier than saxos pugs ect all other engines which are 1.1/1.2

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
Can't knock them for a first car, much better than alot of options out there. Just don't go being stupid and racing other morons in their 1.2's.

Stripped yozza'd cup
As 1.2's go, not bad at all mate. And not having a/c is a good thing on the engine... You don't want to waste what little power you have!

You'll love it, don't worry :)

They can look really nice for very little money too. Have a look at some of the non-sport projects.

GW 200 Gone :( BG182
i had a 1.1 106 when i was 17, was nippy enough for me then so a 1.2 should be good enough, like its been said, dont mod it, save your cash for a faster car in a few years

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
I had a hire car 1.2 a few years back, i really enjoyed driving it, was the reason i bought a 172!

This, you will also need to learn how to keep up momentum in order to move while going up hills as it is dangerously slow!

They are not that slow. I've had two 1.2s now and neither have been dangerously slow if you know how to work the gears properly.

They have enough power to do some serious damage to something/someone though so just drive it sensibly and don't try to be the hero.

Just remember you only have room for 6 points in the first two years or its goodbye license.

The day you pass your test is the day you begin learning to drive ;)

Welcome btw

Jap Box
They are not that slow. I've had two 1.2s now and neither have been dangerously slow if you know how to work the gears properly.

They have enough power to do some serious damage to something/someone though so just drive it sensibly and don't try to be the hero.

Just remember you only have room for 6 points in the first two years or its goodbye license.

The day you pass your test is the day you begin learning to drive ;)

Welcome btw

Im on the second 1.2 8v and going from 50 upwards is usually a long struggle uphill. I tend not to rev the car above 3.5k too because its not been serviced for a good while now so dont want anything to go :rasp:

Anything can do serious damage to someone though really if it can hit 20 odd mph lol

a black one
thanks guys, as you know i have bought the 1.2 but if YOU had the choice would you buy the 1.2 16v or the 1.4 16v and why? :)

1.2 16v as they are more common so if the worst happens, i.e. cambelt snaps or whatever then its dead easy to get another engine.

Also there isn't that much of a difference power wise between the two

Jap Box
thanks guys, as you know i have bought the 1.2 but if YOU had the choice would you buy the 1.2 16v or the 1.4 16v and why? :)

1.2 as insurance rapes me enough as it is anyway and the extra 10bhp or whatever isnt really worth having. Ill hopefully be popping straight from the 1.2 8v to a RSI 1.6 16v or maybe a 172 :)

Stripped yozza'd cup
There's not much in it tbh.... About 10hp?
Neither of them are quick, so I'd have the 1.2 for the fact that it's cheaper.

if you wanted fast (for a first car) then yes you bought the wrong car. You should have got a 1.25 zetec engined fiesta.

Though saying that, a sorted 1.2 will keep up with a 172 around track! Car in front on this video is a 1.2

Last edited by a moderator:
  Mk2 Clio dci
1.4 16v is 98bhp. I had that one as a first car, was plenty quick enough for what i needed!
IMO was fairly noticable in power between 1.2 16v. Anything is though when your used to driving one then go to another.
Insurance wise was hardly noticable too aswell.

Mk1 Clio F4R'd
My first car was/is a 1.2 mk1 clio, was quite nippy, got to 140,000 on the clocks and pulled on mk2 1.2's and corsa sxi's. If i was you, i would have got a 106 Quicksilver or a Saxo Furio, decent looking, still quite slow but keeps up with everyday traffic a lot easier, and you would have had over £2,000 change. But then again, looking at crash tests in saxo/106's, i s**t bricks!

Mk5 Ibiza Cupra
i have one (soon to be replaced) and i have to say it is ideal for a first car. it is pretty nippy around town etc but they're gutless when cold. like some people have said, just use it for now to get experience and some no claims then get something faster.

I sometimes regret getting a 1.2 but hey ho youve got to start somewhere and learn the roads etc, its nothing like my mums 1.0 8v polo lol.

ph2 172
First car I drove was a 1.2 16v mk2 ph2 is my mams. Perfect car for a first car tbh! Be glad you got such a nice car as your first. A bit higher on insurance than most other cars in its class. However it stands it ground against its 1.0-1.2lt rivals.
Don't modify it yet, wait till you've drove it a year, your insurance will be massive just as mine was (and is still.) Besides only thing you can do to the 1.2 really is make it lighter and play with the handling, power mods are expensive (in both cost for parts and insurance.) Yeh a nice little mod now and then to personalise your car is cool, but remember, your next insurance payment is only 12 months away (if you pay full) or next month.

Use this car to learn the roads. Cause once you pass, that is where the learning begins!

Yozz'd up 182
I had a 1.4 two years ago as my first car and the were nippyish aslong as it was just you sat in it haha.

No matter what your first car is your going to get owned by everyone if you try and race everything.

Even in the sports, unless your in the right gear expecting someone else to boot it you will get owned.

Forget about how fast it is it doesnt matter as a first car, like people have said save up insurance money for when you can get a faster car.

Ive jus turned 20 and nearly had my 182 a year now so aslong as you save youll be ok.

a black one
cheers boys yeah 3k just for the car, i thought 1.2 clios were quite nippy for their category like saxos 106s ect, maybe not?

Gally

Formerly Mashed up egg in a cup
ClioSport Club Member
They are great first cars imo.

Mine had xenons, auto lights, wipers, lots of nice perks for a first car imo.

They have fine speed for what you'll require, take it easy as it won't last long if you don't.

FF182.
I had a 1.5 dci 65 clio. Slowest thing going, 1.2 petrol's would lick me! (from 0-30 and faster on 'private roads' obviously!)

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I went from a 1.2 8v to a 1.4 16v and there 98HP and you can tell the diffrence, your still going to be raped by other cars but there not slow by any means.

Welcome mate!

Knuckles

ClioSport Admin

1.4 ;) ive had (my mams) 1.2 8v and (my dads ) 1.5 dci... but my 1.4 is so much better, just enough power for what you need, its enough for if your feeling in a (i dont wanna say it but) racey mood... but yeah, i'm glad i got it ha. its enough to put daft lil chavs in their place too when they try to race you ;)

jenic

ClioSport Club Member
My first car was a 1.4 306. One of the most fun to drive cars i've ever driven tbh! Was very slow though.

Jus saying you can still have fun without power :)

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
You paid 3k for it?

You've seriously over paid there mate, you can have my 54 Dynamique for 2k!

LY 220 Trophy+IB PH1
I also paid about £30 more a year on insurance between the 1.2 and 1.4 although the tax was different (pre 2000 tax on the 8v) and as scott 1.4 says it has just enough power to have fun with while still returning 42 plus MPG. Best to learn in something you don't mind scraping though :p You will have a "surely it will fit" moment :)

a black one
i never paid 3k lol i said i had up to 3k to spend on the car, what engine s your 54 dynamique and what engine is it :) and what colour. mates interested x

Arctic 182 & PB 172
Back in 2003 i bought a brand new black 1.2 dynamique Billabong edition. I LOVED that car. When only one or two people in it its still quite a quick wee thing. I thin it had 75 BHP...or is it 98...i forget...google it!

Anyway i loved it and although it was a bit of a struggle up hill sometimes its still a good handling wee car, looks nice as standard and is pretty fun to chuck round on b roads.

RDH

ClioSport Club Member
i never paid 3k lol i said i had up to 3k to spend on the car, what engine s your 54 dynamique and what engine is it :) and what colour. mates interested x

1.2, in black. Below average mileage. Isn't actually up for sale yet as I won't be able to let it go until March 11 as I need my NCB for my next car.

Renault Clio 1.2 16v
Ive jus turned 20 and nearly had my 182 a year now so aslong as you save youll be ok.

How much is your insurance if you dont mind me asking, i priced upfor a 172, 2 years no claims n they wanted like 4500!!!