ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Haters gonna hate.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Lol, wouldn't make it 10 minutes you southern fairy! ;)

Not sure I see the resemblance TBH:

chip-bat.jpg

Tinkerbell_10.gif

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
Strong facial hair haha.

And you're the one that made homosexual jokes towards me?!

:eek:

Anyway do you like my exhaust or not? Genuinely not sure if you're on my side or the other guys.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
I think he wants to make another movie with you chip.. this time he'll get it all in his mouth (inc the balls)

The problem with being in gay films is you could end up with your exhaust tube ending up oversize and making horrible farting noises all the time that you cant control, something Im sure you can relate to.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
The problem with being in gay films is you could end up with your exhaust tube ending up oversize and making horrible farting noises all the time that you cant control, something Im sure you can relate to.

Hahaha!

great way to lighten the mood

Going back to this, it's kind of hard to understand what you're saying but whatever, I think you're saying I get no gain, then go on to say I do gain?

It doesn't matter how much power I gain, or don't gain, what matters is I gain a smile on my face.

If that makes me look a chav idiot then so be it!

but make personal comments about the area I live, and judgements about me based on my car is a s**tty thing to do. You think I chose to live here? I was born and bred. It's not the nicest areas but heck, at least we've got a Haribo factory. Has Surrey? I thought not.

Pontefract 1 - 0 Surrey.

no we don't have a Haribo factory your right , but i raise your sweet shop

and offer you

the uk's home of motorsport brooklands

then of course it built the most important bombers of world war 2 , building wellington bombers but yeah its no there now

oh hang on a minute we do have a factory .... does it make sweets ..... nope

oh yeah i remember ,

http://www.mclaren.com/group#/about/index/type/mtc

i think we can take your 1-0 and call it check mate !

but good on you for being a sport , because you started the thread like a fish in a barrel ......

Darren S

ClioSport Club Member
How come it is so loud? Is it Simply a pipe and nothing else?

Not my cup-of-tea - but fairplay for trying it for the laugh. The Evo gets too loud in-car for me at times - and that's WAAAAAY quieter than yours! :)

D.

DC2 TypeR / E36 328i
I absolutely love it.
Its retarded, it'll piss everyone off and get you in so much trouble... but its so awesome.

Well done!

Cheers Joey, saw your MR2 on Flickr the other day. Looking good!

LOL , enjoy the car mate , but seriously the exhaust does it no favours , make it quieter , get it on track and find out what honda really built , you'll never find out on a road.

I hear ya bud, one of the main reasons I got a 'teg was to go on track, and to take a trip to the ring, which would be impossible with this exhaust, so it wont be permanent :)

Just a bit of a laugh, tried to make that clear in OP but oh well.

How come it is so loud? Is it Simply a pipe and nothing else?

Not my cup-of-tea - but fairplay for trying it for the laugh. The Evo gets too loud in-car for me at times - and that's WAAAAAY quieter than yours! :)

D.

Pretty much just a pipe. There is a silencer but I don't think it's doing much - no backbox as such just a silencer/bung you can choose to have in the tailpipe.

buddyclubspec2.jpg

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Do NA engines not need a decent amount of back pressure?

I may be wrong..but i thought Turbo engines like a bigger exhaust as possible (with some element of back pressure however NA engines really do need a good bit of back pressure to perform properly and have a nice torque curve?

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Do NA engines not need a decent amount of back pressure?

Back pressure is a really massively misused term, NO 4 stroke internal combustion engine wants exhaust back pressure, in fact in an ideal world you would have negative exhaust back pressure.

Negative exhaust back pressure is only possible when you get the diameter and length of the exhaust correct for a particular situation, on the ITR in question for example you'd see neg back pressure at high rpm momentarily towards the end of the exhaust stroke of the engine with this exhaust as at high RPM the gas speeds would be high enough to provide that effect, at lower rpm though it will lose that effect (which the standard exhaust has).

Silencers do nothing to improve negative EBP, so all cars will perform better without them, they are only there to control noise, they dont benefit performance at all.

An ideal exhaust for this car performance wise would be in the 2.25-2.5" region and have utterly no silencers and as few bends as possible.

I may be wrong..but i thought Turbo engines like a bigger exhaust as possible (with some element of back pressure however NA engines really do need a good bit of back pressure to perform properly and have a nice torque curve?

You are correct that turbos dont really benefit from a small exhaust with high gas speeds but you are totally incorrect to use the term exhaust back pressure as a positive thing, its not, its exhaust gas speed that you want, thats kind of linked to EBP in that smaller pipes have higher of both, but where people (like yourself by the sounds of it) make the mistake is that silencers increase EBP but that doesnt equate to an increase in gas speed as well like an increase in EBP from a smaller diameter pipe will.

In an ideal world you would have a small diameter pipe at low rpm and a large diameter one at higher rpm.

clio 182FF
Lol this thread. I think haters have hated. Not sure why there are such strong views on something that was done as a bit of fun.

It would make a bit more sense if this was a green peace forum or the like but it's a car enthusiast one. There's people here saying this guy looks like a chav with this exhaust yet I bet 99% of the "general public" would call anyone in a clio 182 or anything remotely sporty a chav car.

And like someone else mentioned. Its ridiculously loud but the amount of threads that come up about decats etc show that everyone else likes more noise. Yes you could say they are doing it to be "sensibly" louder or not sound "crap" but that's very subjective to each person.

And once again this guy has clearly done it for some fun and mentioned that.

Also he is clearly just winding some of you up for fun so if you don't like it don't bite lol

Disastra Coupe
I'll be honest, i don't like it - but then i dislike most loud exhausts on Honda's. They just sound like farts.

Tbf, i've grown out of loud exhausts. I didn't bother fitting one to the Mazda and the BMW does have an aftermarket but 99% of the time you wouldn't even know it's so quiet. And that's the way i like it nowadays. Feel much less of an idiot for it!

But hey, if it's what you like...

John Gordon

ClioSport Club Member
  Clio 2.0 RS 172 Ph1
Back pressure is a really massively misused term, NO 4 stroke internal combustion engine wants exhaust back pressure, in fact in an ideal world you would have negative exhaust back pressure.

Negative exhaust back pressure is only possible when you get the diameter and length of the exhaust correct for a particular situation, on the ITR in question for example you'd see neg back pressure at high rpm momentarily towards the end of the exhaust stroke of the engine with this exhaust as at high RPM the gas speeds would be high enough to provide that effect, at lower rpm though it will lose that effect (which the standard exhaust has).

Silencers do nothing to improve negative EBP, so all cars will perform better without them, they are only there to control noise, they dont benefit performance at all.

An ideal exhaust for this car performance wise would be in the 2.25-2.5" region and have utterly no silencers and as few bends as possible.

You are correct that turbos dont really benefit from a small exhaust with high gas speeds but you are totally incorrect to use the term exhaust back pressure as a positive thing, its not, its exhaust gas speed that you want, thats kind of linked to EBP in that smaller pipes have higher of both, but where people (like yourself by the sounds of it) make the mistake is that silencers increase EBP but that doesnt equate to an increase in gas speed as well like an increase in EBP from a smaller diameter pipe will.

In an ideal world you would have a small diameter pipe at low rpm and a large diameter one at higher rpm.

An interesting topic which I tried to enforce I have little knowledge of. I have just your typical word of mouth pool of knowledge. After a bit of reading (your post sparked my curiosity further) Its all to do with pulse zones. Glad I posted though.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
An interesting topic which I tried to enforce I have little knowledge of. I have just your typical word of mouth pool of knowledge. After a bit of reading (your post sparked my curiosity further) Its all to do with pulse zones. Glad I posted though.

Yes its all about the exhaust pulses providing a partial vacuum behind them which helps to draw the air out of the cylinder (and hence during valve overlap allow it to also help draw fresh air in)

clio 182FF
Yes its all about the exhaust pulses providing a partial vacuum behind them which helps to draw the air out of the cylinder (and hence during valve overlap allow it to also help draw fresh air in)

Chip, you seem to know your stuff about engines. I'm an engineer myself and did a couple of modules on IC engines, suspension geometry, drivetrain etc.

i had done little on 2T engines but know the basics. Going a little off track I wonder if you know about the motocross 2t engines with the big expansion chambers ? I see so many bashed up and always think to myself this must be losing a lot of power? What are your thoughts on it if you are into this area? This isn't a test also lol, I'm genuinely interested and have only done some basic reading a few months back on how much design is gone into these things to create the variety of pulses that they can.

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
Sorry mate, other than basic rebuilds on motorbike engines (before I was really into tuning engines) Ive no experience of 2T stuff really, its all 4 stroke stuff I do.

The big advantage a 2 stroke has power wise is essentially its firing twice as often means that its like being twice the size, but they are horribly inefficent really, so lightness is all they bring to the party. (ie important on a crosser but not as much in a car)

Chip, you seem to know your stuff about engines. I'm an engineer myself and did a couple of modules on IC engines, suspension geometry, drivetrain etc.

i had done little on 2T engines but know the basics. Going a little off track I wonder if you know about the motocross 2t engines with the big expansion chambers ? I see so many bashed up and always think to myself this must be losing a lot of power? What are your thoughts on it if you are into this area? This isn't a test also lol, I'm genuinely interested and have only done some basic reading a few months back on how much design is gone into these things to create the variety of pulses that they can.

from years of karting with anything from very high spec race 2 strokes reving to 22k to more recent rotax max engines which are more a 125 general use engine , the effect will be on power delivery mostly with the expansion chamber damage .

As you may know from your basic knowledge backpressure (for want of a term) and exhaust length have a fair effect on 2 stroke power delivery and this can affect optimum power produced . a similar issue arises when the exhaust wadding in a 2stroke silencer starts to break down , the effects in the different will be small from what we have seen on a dyno , but in karting with low weights (thus great power to weight ) a small effect can have a large overall one over a given engine on a given track on a given day .

182/RS2/ Turbo/Mk1
"Back pressure" actually is a relevant term with two strokes, that's where the term comes from in the first place.

clio 182FF
Interesting. Thank you both for your input. So Harv am I right in summing your post up by saying max power is unlikely to be effected by a large amount. But what will change more so will be the point at which the "power band" comes in? So jealous of you doing the karting, I have always wanted to do that! Motocross seems another option though hence my interest! :)