ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

has anyone used a warranty service

clio rs
http://www.click4warranty.co.uk/default.aspx?tracker=AFFILIATEFUTURE

has anyone used a warranty service, the amount of problems the clio gives these days im thinking to sign up to this £300 per year for a 5* warranty and I could just get anything done while it needs doing. It sounds like a bargain, one job along will cover the cost of the yearly fee plus ill get 1 years worth of peace of mind.

called them of friday, they said they even do gearboxes.

What be people think?

Renault Clio 182
I've heard mixed reviews for Warranty companies. A lot of people say they're not worth the paper they're written on. Companies will always try to avoid paying out. Although after reading a few reviews, a lot people said that www.warrantywise.co.uk is one of the better ones. I can't remember what forum I saw that on, I think it may have been a BMW one.

I got a quote from warrenty wise and tbh it was fairly pricey compared to click4warranty.

I'm in a bit of a dilema as well as to whether to pay extra and go with a reputable company or just go with the cheaper one.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
the AA does quite a cheap 1 and they cover everything too, didnt seem like a con. didnt sign up myself but summit to find out more about.

clio rs
if AA cover anything then they must be the best - anyone now if they cover modified cars.

like to get my gearbox done soon but dont want them not paying out as i got a quickshifter

Nothing at the mo :(
ive had AA before.. needed a new alterantor on my vts few years ago.. they just told me to book it in at a garage and give them my warranty so i would recommend AA

Went to a small local garage and I had a cambelt done under warranty a long time ago. Had to pay the garage for the locking tool only as they didn't have one.

Tried to get a Renault dealer to fix some bits using it and they couldn't be bothered to call the warranty holdings company so I told them to swivel and went back to said local garage.

TimR26

South Central- West Berks
ClioSport Area Rep
Your better off going to a local garage with a warranty as they usually only cover labour up £50+vat per hour.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
im pretty sure they do wear and tear not sure about mods, best off ringing them to find out for sure.

Wont cover parts that have been affected by modifications. The AA called me about 6 months ago about this warrenty, I didnt want it but they had to get them clarify about modifications as mine is modified. They said if the part that has broken is modified they wont pay out for it. So i'm guessing maz if your going to get a warranty to sort your gearbox out, i'd take the short shift off as they will no doubt not pay out for it to be fixed.

Westy. MX5
I was going to buy a warranty some time ago but take note they will have an age restriction as well, 5, 7, 10years, for example. Also as mentioned above they will not cover modified parts which also includes non OE parts.

Clio 182 arctic
ive got an autoprotect warranty. £260 for the year. mechanical/electrical parts and labour. but it does say it doesnt cover fair wear and tear. it does cover things like clutches and all the bits associated with it, how i dont know as surely anything to do with that is gonna be wear and tear.
my clutch has started slipping so im gonna see what they say in the next few months. so it may or may not save me a few hundred quid.

clio rs
think my car is too highly modded to go ahead with the service, shame i got the shifter fitted few weeks back.

im with aa aswell. obviously i didnt read the print when i needed a new battery though....:dapprove: never mind. for the sake of £30 a year or whatever it is, its worth it in my opinion just in case.

clio rs
next yr mate trade the vx220 & clio for megane R26R, wud be f***ing ace if i wud get cover on the £2k titanium exhaust

1.5dci 80bhp
Don't bother with warrantywise they don't even cover the EGR even on there top cover plan which I had when I brought my dci second hand, they will do there best in not having to pay out for any repairs.

Gav_r26

ClioSport Club Member
  2006 Megane R26
My dad has a warranty with Warranty Direct for my mum's MGF. So far it's had the head gasket and a gearbox rebuild done on it and it's only cost the £50 excess. Its excellent as the MG build quality is a little ropey at times!

ph 2 172
Went to a small local garage and I had a cambelt done under warranty a long time ago. Had to pay the garage for the locking tool only as they didn't have one.

Tried to get a Renault dealer to fix some bits using it and they couldn't be bothered to call the warranty holdings company so I told them to swivel and went back to said local garage.

presume this had broke, or was it a cheeky claim for a cambelt change that was due?

I deal with these all the time at work so I can help.
  • You need to remember its a mechanical break down warranty, so they will not cover wear and tear items, the only part of an exhaust that would be covered is the cat.
  • The other thing to consider is you will still need to pay a diagnostic/ investigation charge as the warranty companys don't cover this.
  • As said above some of them only pay £50/hr so if you take it to a main dealer you need to pay the shortfall.
  • Some parts that are good practice to change during a repair aren't covered by the warranty, say you do a waterpump they will cover the cambelt kit etc but they won't cover the aux belt which should really be changed at the same time. Similarly, on the renaults when the TDC sensor goes the revised repair includes replacing the loom... In my experience only the all signing all dancing warranties cover wiring so the customer would need to cover this part too.
  • Having said that they are worth having, I ve got one on the 100hp and i ve claimed for a power steering column on it, £6-700 at retail, went through no issue, mine also includes breakdown cover and MOT insurance, if I keep the car I will definatly renew it.

Maybe a 172 Cup..
Did a bit of digging on warranties a while ago, some things to check in my experience. Some may be muddled as from memory.
The wear and tear issue.
The hourly labour rate, although with some this can be as high as you want, obviously reflected in premium.
If you can use any garage, or their 'approved ones'.
If you have to pay for repairs and then claim back, or if bill is paid direct.
Sure AA warranty is linked somehow to having to breakdown with fault.

Prob's missed some, but some to be going on with. Loads of reviews on net, some good, some bad. I decided better to have a rainy day fund....;)