ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone tried to make extra low OMP subframes? I'm making some now.

As title, has anyone tried to copy the design? I'm making an almost flat (12mm high) subframe for a base mounted bucket seat that sits on top of the original sliders.

I got some metal off a mate after work and started measuring/cutting straight away. I'm almost done, got one side drilled and welded and I'll finish off tomorrow, and do a test fit.

If all goes well then I'll re-measure everything and put some pics and measurements up of the finished product for everyone to use as they will.

RenaultSport 172
I just cut and rewelded my one:

WkLSH7.jpg

2ws6bT.jpg

PCF9Xd.jpg

RenaultSport 172
Could have gone an inch lower than above but decided to replace the seat rails instead

now I need to do my passenger one as its so high

Ah I see why, the problem is with mine is that when bolting down on top of the sliders the slider mech on the drivers side fouls the frame so I had to cut the middle out. Anyway the seats in and it fits nicely, although a tad upright so I'm going to put a couple washers under the seat base for some tilt. Ill get some pics this weekend hopefully and get the measurements up while in at it.

The only problem I've had is the seating position being lower than standard I get blinded by low beam! Suppose it's worth it though.

RenaultSport 172
I found base mounting my seats they were far too upright. I switched to side mounts in the end but had to modify them to make them lower

I found base mounting my seats they were far too upright. I switched to side mounts in the end but had to modify them to make them lower

That's true, although I kind of like it. I'm going to stick a couple washers under the front bolts to get a little tilt. I'm surprised how comfy the steel base seats are tbh, I had a corbeau clubman a while back and that was the comfiest seat I've sat in, although it was sprung.

340i
I had a custom set made a number of years ago.... you cannot go any lower than the below without removing the OE cross members.
9d0ff021.jpg

add52c1d.jpg

44d64229.jpg

50737fca.jpg

Wow that is low! It's a shame you get blinded by low beam though, well I do anyway. I didn't know what position I wanted them so just chucked them on the runners, although I may have to try another similar to yours. Shame I can't weld for s**t, ill just have to get the grinder out! In my defence though, arc welding is awkward as f**k with full length rods.

340i
Wow that is low! It's a shame you get blinded by low beam though, well I do anyway. I didn't know what position I wanted them so just chucked them on the runners, although I may have to try another similar to yours. Shame I can't weld for s**t, ill just have to get the grinder out! In my defence though, arc welding is awkward as f**k with full length rods.

When you're 6ft 2" you need low seats in a Clio ;)

Ills

ClioSport Club Member
Try being 6ft 5", I'd love to sit lower! I'd also like the gearstick further back as it feels like I'm at full stretch going for 3rd and 5th with the seat all the way back.

Clio 172 (CUP)
I had a custom set made a number of years ago.... you cannot go any lower than the below without removing the OE cross members.
9d0ff021.jpg

add52c1d.jpg

44d64229.jpg

50737fca.jpg

Don't suppose you have drawings for them, or otherwise a contact and price? Otherwise I'll have to modify my OMP ones.
Thanks.

340i
Don't suppose you have drawings for them, or otherwise a contact and price? Otherwise I'll have to modify my OMP ones.
Thanks.

Unfortunately it was around 4yrs ago I designed them, I don't have the drawings anymore.. I designed them and a friend fabricated them for me.

It only took a few hours of measuring, not too strenuous :)

Clio 172 (CUP)
Thanks, thought it was worth a shot ;-). I'm just weighting up my options, might go down the same route, or modify these OMPs I have.

Thanks, thought it was worth a shot ;-). I'm just weighting up my options, might go down the same route, or modify these OMPs I have.

Which omp ones do you have out of interest? Can you chuck a pic up? I've got drawings from another member (can't think of his name at the moment) but if you fire me a pm with your email address I'll send then over for you.

Clio 172 (CUP)
Have PM'd.
Not sure on model but I can check tonight, here's a pic from which you might recognise it. (Masking tape is me looking at potentially making some OMP side mounts fit - bimarco seat is too wide)

uploadfromtaptalk1390580041354.jpg

ph1 172
I've just knocked some alloy ones up this weekend. Just weighed them at 2kg each. Anyone know how much your basic steel ones weigh?

There not 100% finished in these pics but give you an idea. Painted the drivers satin black today whilst fabricating the passenger one. I'll post better pics up when I paint/fit that one.

http://rs1015.pbsrc.com/albums/af271/ali_warriner/Mobile Uploads/subframes002_zps0d2d35f1.jpg~c100 http://rs1015.pbsrc.com/albums/af27... Uploads/subframes003_zps7af2eb9a.jpg~320x480

Note my seats are captive bolt base mounted so no need for side mounts.

http://s1015.photobucket.com/user/a.../subframes003_zps7af2eb9a.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Iceberg 172
What sort of lengths have you been using for the strips of steel/ ally? im looking to do the same in the near future. at a first measurement it seems approximately 500mm lengths would suffice front to back and 550mm for width? this was with the seat in the car so it could be way out...

1) Are these anywhere near correct?

2) What height/ width angle plate should i source for the raised section next to the handbrake?

Thanks.