ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Has anyone gone back to running 95 rather than super?

172 cup
Have any of you been forced through expense, or perhaps decided to run on normal 95 unleaded since the petrol prices have gone through the roof?

53 Clio's & counting
I've thought this but it's only £2 a tank more expensive...

This is a reason why i run super, the saving is simply not there for me, its about £2 extra to fill up, and i get anything up to 4 mpg more running super.

We all pay for expensive oils, best tuning parts etc, why skimp on lower grade fuel when you could buy the better stuff?

This is all in my own opinion, iv tried 95 ron and my car simply doesnt like it, iv done tests over hundreds of miles to come to this conclusion.

I say try both, some cars dont mind it and its all down to personal opinion

Clio 182 cup'd
Tried both and it made no difference in both a 172 and 182. Tried it in other cars too and surprise surprise there was no difference.

RS Clio 182
I tend to run around 1 in 5 tanks on Super purely for the cleaning benefits. The car runs a little smoother on it and pulls marginally better but really I don't see the advantage being worth 7p a litre when I'm sub 10mpg most of the time.

Titanium 182
I did and my engine management light came on, got the code reader and it says first lambda sensor. Cancelled it and it hasn't come on again and hopefully will stay off. I've got a feeling it's to do with the 95 though.

306 GTI-6
I filled up with Tesco 99 ron a couple of weeks ago, after hearing some good stuff. Had been usng 97ron before that.

My car did not like it one bit, started stalling at idle, had to rev as soon as i started to stop it stalling. Gone back to 95/97, and its smooth as silk again.

Like someone said, some cars/engines like it/dont get on with it. Bizarre really.

Nothing at the mo :(
well i changed back to 95 this week.. its used a quarter and only done 60 miles wtf!!! back to BP Ultimate on next tank

E36 Coupe & Mk4 Golf
Used to run my 1.2:eek: on super. I think the car runs much better on super and i get a lot more miles from a tank.

Astra SRI/ Hornet
I tried going on 95 for abit but It makes the top end feel strained compared to optimax. And ya get shell points so ya get money back eventually.

330Ci (Fail)Sport
I've tried Sainsbury's and Tesco's supers and regulars along with V Power and Shell normal and can't say I've noticed any noticeable difference in performance or mpg with any of them TBH. All running quite a few tanks between fuel changes and my car has the standard map. Although, I think maybe more motorway driving would increase super's mpg IIRC, might have made that up, not sure, random thought/memory. I do mainly, A and B road driving so that might be a factor.

Clio RS 172 /Trafic
Have any of you been forced through expense, or perhaps decided to run on normal 95 unleaded since the petrol prices have gone through the roof?

I still use V power or equivalent in my 172. There is a difference in the way the car performs on it. I've tried it in various cars I've had and they all ran better on 99 octane. The difference isnt so noticeable until you start driving a car really hard over a challenging road or on the track. The difference is immediately noticeable then. The engine will run slightly cooler on 99 octane as its not working so hard to burn the fuel and the acceleration is much better.

_WILL_

ClioSport Club Member
  172 Cup
I have been running 95 recently, not cos of cost tho, just convenience really. Can't say i have noticed the a difference but I have only been town driving recently :mad:.

BG 182 FF
Yes, filled up with 95 last week.

Engine feels strained at the top end now, so going back to Optimax next time I fill up. Also better mpg on Optimax.

The Chubby Pirate

ClioSport Club Member
  Golf R
The difference between 95 and 98 is usually always 7p...

So an 11g/50l tank is 62.50 to fill with V-power

Or £59 for Unleaded 95..

£3.50 wouldnt get you sucked off by a stray dog TBH

Clio 182
I stopped using it for cost.. without thinking really.. but if its only £3.50 more per tank its hardly breaking the bank.

The car always feels better with v power in, but whether thats just my head i dont know.

A ANIMAL
i switched to 95 just to see the difference. i find the engine is more laboured at the top end, no real MPG gains though, makes no real difference till above 4k. i will be switching back to optimax.

Iceberg 172
I wouldn't use 95 ron... Why would you? If you're that tight with the pennies then get a diesel.

If you're scrimping on petrol what else are you scrimping on??

182 & Porsche 986
I wouldn't use 95 ron... Why would you? If you're that tight with the pennies then get a diesel.

If you're scrimping on petrol what else are you scrimping on??

Ive had super in and i havn't really noticed a difference. its not going to damage my engine is it?

Listerine & Poledo
Simple answer: No, I stick with Super (normally V-Power) wherever I get the option.

If for no other reason that Renault say to.

Listerine & Poledo
Ive had super in and i havn't really noticed a difference. its not going to damage my engine is it?

IIRC, only if you're constantly trying to hit the limiter. Although that limit may adjust itself anyway...

...oh I dont know

Iceberg 172
Not damage no... In the same way s**t oil / air filters etc etc won't damage your engine... But it runs more efficiently.