ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Halfords engine oil as good as any other?

mainly because its on my doorstep and i have a trade card so i would be my easiest option if any good. mobil 1 was on offer untill last week . gutted

Halfords is pretty much on my doorstep to but I still wouldn't use them for oil, for the sake of a few quid get some good quality oil

Gaz_

ClioSport Club Member
  Extreme mode
I'd take that with a pinch of salt tbh. Opie oils only push the brands they sell..... The stuff he sells is top spec, not really needed in a clio.....hense him dissing elf stuff. This is what Renault recommend, and is what the engine would have been developed with. Longs its the same spec, there won't be an issue. Halfords will be fine if its to spec found in the handbook.

The Boosh!

ClioSport Admin
  Elise, Duster
I'd take that with a pinch of alsalt tbh. They only push the brands they sell..... The stuff he sells is top spec, not really needed in a clio.....hense him dissing elf stuff. This is what Renault recommend, and is what the engine will be developed with. Longs its the same spec, there won't be an issue. Hakfords will be fine if its to spec found in the handbook.

Completely agree, but when you can get a 'better' quality oil for the same price of the halfords stuff it's a no brainer. Unless you've been caught short and need some asap.

53 Clio's & counting
To give you an idea I try to buy Titan Pro S - all the cars iv used it in they have sounded much healthier, they dont seem to use much and it smells great lol

And I still buy it even though I can buy Shell Helix through work for £1.50 a litre

clio 182 'full fat'
To give you an idea I try to buy Titan Pro S - all the cars iv used it in they have sounded much healthier, they dont seem to use much and it smells great lol

And I still buy it even though I can buy Shell Helix through work for £1.50 a litre

where can i get this from?

53 Clio's & counting
The Titan mate? Opie Oils, did me 5 ltrs with a ltr top up bottle delivered in 48 hours at a cracking price :)

But you can get it elseware too, Opie are just convenient

Stripped yozza'd cup
The Titan mate? Opie Oils, did me 5 ltrs with a ltr top up bottle delivered in 48 hours at a cracking price :)

But you can get it elseware too, Opie are just convenient

Same stuff as I use. Ordering some tomorrow from opie actually. For the sake of a fiver and 48hrs, you're better off getting decent oil

JMR

RB 182 Cup
The difference between the Renault stuff and Silkolene Pro-S 5w40 when I changed at service time was very noticeable.
Silky smooth in the 172, though I had the cambelt changed and timing checked at same time, so everythint cobbled together made a big difference.

Have just had the 182 serviced at Renault and they use the standard Elf 5w40 synthetic stuff - Its not bad if you get it at the right price
My dealer gives me 20% off all parts prices so I only paid £5.63litre for it, which I didnt think was bad.

Next time I should have more time to get some Motul beforehand and just tell them to tip it in.

Struggler

ClioSport Club Member
  Ph1 track 172
Halfords own oil = rebranded Castrol iirc!!

and tbh, it all comes from the same hold in the floor and most likely refined in the same place!
it goes off to different companies who add aditives to give different properties based on their research!!

lets face it, if it meets the standards set to be used as motor oil, its not going to be all that bad.

ive always used the cheap 10/40 semisynth, £2.80 per litre since they hiked the price up!!

Lionel Richie
Go with 5w40, 0w40 is too thin

no its not, Russ i don't expect such a inaccurate comment from you! - 3 gold stars for that one!

for the 1000000000000000000000000th time, as follows

first number referes to the thickness of the oil at 0degreesC, the LOWER the number the thiner it is (and technically depending on climate, the better)

second number is the thickness of the oil at 100degC, the higher the number the thicker it is

and hence a 0W40 and a 5W40 are EXACTLY THE SAME when at 100degC

53 Clio's & counting
no its not, Russ i don't expect such a inaccurate comment from you! - 3 gold stars for that one!

for the 1000000000000000000000000th time, as follows

first number referes to the thickness of the oil at 0degreesC, the LOWER the number the thiner it is (and technically depending on climate, the better)

second number is the thickness of the oil at 100degC, the higher the number the thicker it is

and hence a 0W40 and a 5W40 are EXACTLY THE SAME when at 100degC

:eek:

I was specifically talking about from cold Fred, I used 0-40 as I can get get oil cheap from work, but I saw a noticable increase in oil consumption, and the car sounded rougher from cold, and swapping back to a thicker oil made a big difference -I posted it on my phone and didnt give a good explanation, I should have stated it's too thin from cold in my opinion :)

Mk5 golf gti
I use halfords oil on my other cars, as its only £15 with the trade card

I wouldn't put it in the 172, the dephaser won't like it lol

I wouldn't pay full price for it either get some decent oil