ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

HAD MY CAR 4 HOURS AND BROKE DOWN HELP!!!

renault clio 172
Hey hope someone can help. I bought a 2002 renault clio 172 yesterday and all was fine until i got in it later on and tried to start it. At first the front lights started flashing and there was all funny buzzing and clicking noises. Kept trying but it wouldnt turn over just all the lights on the dash flashing, the time on the radio re-set, clicking noises, and the speedo and rev counter went a bit crazy. We mamnaged to bump start the car and it drove home ok. Any suggestions anyone??? Thanks

sounds like a flat battery to me, the clicking is probably your starter motor not engaging because the battery is flat! get your battery tested its free at most car places.

BG182®
Battery I believe. The ticking is your starter motor. If you have no other car in your house or jump cables try a push start. Can pick battery's up pretty cheap from a scrappy these days.

But yeah sounds like a battery prob.

Mine did this and I found out the things that connect to the battery were a little bit loose. I just popped it back into place, tightened it up and it was fine.

Clio 182 Trophy. No. 189
Defo sounds like battery - when mine went I had nothing when turning the key, not even a click!

120d M-Sport
Agrees with every1 above ^^^

I should know, my 172 currently does that!! Lol!! :rasp:

ibiza cupra
this happened to mine too got a new decent battery from halfords for about £100 and solved the problem strait away but like said get it tested first.

Daniel

ClioSport Moderator
  Whichever has fuel
£100?!

FLOL! You can get change out of £50 for a decent battery!

Recaro'd 182
063 battery i think for the clio 172/182. I got mine for £47 the other day. £100 if you want to get it from halfrauds! with there name on it.

Citroen DS3 White
oh, hmmm...

Can you borrow a friends battery and try that one, nothing against battery tests but they can sometimes lie...

renault clio 172
For all the messing about do you think it is just best to buy a new battery anyway and then if the problem re occurs i can rule the battery out? cheers

1998 BMW e46 323i
ha ha, that shut everyone up. mine doesn't like starting and has done what yours has if it's been left for more than 3 or 4 days. My battery and connections are fine too. Think it's a drain on the battery somewhere...

1998 BMW e46 323i
i don't wanna hijack the thread, but i've checked every connection, wire brushed and greased them. Car still dies after more than 4 days of not bein used. Sounds like i've the same prob.

e92 + E46 M3 + Cup
IGNORE HALFORDS TESTING!

My batterey died.. went & got a new one from halfords for the 172 - £52 3 year warranty, while there the guy said are you certain its the batterey.. after a few lines of convo he belived its was the starter motor so surpise surprise new batterey in & she fires first time then the guy has another go on his meter & it still said my old batterey was fine so him being smug tried it in his car & walla no go... i find halfords gear pretty good/well priced its the staff that let it down