ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide: Washer pump/bottle removal!

Had to totally remove the washer pump because the washer bottle decided to leak. Here is how you remove the bottle to get full access to the pumps.

I have done a similar guide on how to replace the motors without removing the wiper mechanism. See the guides section.

First you'll need the following:

10mm socket
13 mm socket
Socket extension.

1.. Remove the wipers by doing the following. Remove the caps and undo the 13mm nuts. Then an 18mm spanner can help at this stage, but not vital to persuade the wipers off. They will come off! (old pic)

View attachment 06122008063pushwiggle.jpg

2.. Will look like this:

View attachment 9e65f1f7.jpg

3.. Scuttle panels off (think that's what they are called). Remove seal along the top of the engine bay (foamy/rubber strip). Right side then left. Couple of plastic clips in the middle and at either end.

View attachment 18e43b2a.jpg

4.. This is the wiper mechanism. This needs to be removed to get the washer bottle out:

View attachment 1d43fc37.jpg

5.. Undo the 3 nuts using a 10mm socket. Only 3 nuts. 2 towards the left hand side and one to the far right:

View attachment f119f338.jpg

6.. Unclip the wiper motor power and remove the whole lot from car:

View attachment 6c154615.jpg

7.. Remove the 10mm nut holding in the washer bottle:

View attachment 49b79dea.jpg

8.. You'll be able to get at the motors now. You'll need to disconnect the power supplies etc. It's pretty obvious:

View attachment 8870727d.jpg

9.. Replace the broken item, in my case it was one of the rubber washers, all this for this tiny part....

View attachment c1f773f7.jpg

10.. Because this is such a pain to get to I filled the washer bottle half full to check for leaks! Seems to have sorted it:

View attachment 541882a3.jpg

11.. Washer bottle sorted. To put back together is everything above in reverse BUT.. and this is why I love CS. If you miss this part you'll be there for days (well I would have been!!), but a quick search on CS I found this:

Just took off my wiper arms so I could replace washer pump and resistor pack and put wiper arms back on but something aint right!

The spoiler thing on the blade is now tapping on the windscreen when it first moves!

Is there any easy way to line them up or maybe I have bolted the mechanism back in wonky lol

Thanks, Andy

The wiper mechanism has to be located on a peg which sticks out on the bulkhead. If not, it will touch the screen.

When you are putting the wipers back they MUST go back on the peg. It looks like this:

View attachment 9e083a7d.jpg

.. and this hole needs to go on it looks like this:

View attachment 315bfc8b.jpg

12.. Once the wiper mechanism is back and in the right place on its peg it really is just replace the plastics, wipers and this seal thing that I've just found a pic of:

View attachment a41dbf75.jpg

Taa dahh! I can clean my windscreen now! :cool:

Clio 172 2001 ph1
Are there two pumps? As I can see on photo 8 that there is a left motor and a right motor. Which one does what?

Clio 172 ph2
The one on the left is the front & rear windows, the one the right head lamp wash wipe.
I have changed the screen washer pump before by just lifting the n/s scuttle and just pulling the pump out of the bottle. Its tight this but saves a lot of time!
Whilst in there take the oppurtunity to clean out any leaves from the water drain holes!

Don

182 & LY Clio 220 ed
Thank You that man. I'd swapped pumps out, but wipers were knocking and it was pissing me off. So thank you as I never would have spotted then bulkhead pin without this guide. :)

Clio 182
Can you access the pump part by going through the wheel arch so you don't have to remove wipers etc?

clio sport mk2
Brilliant guide, thanks for taking the time to document it. Used this to remove fix washer bottle problem. Can hear motor running, but no water comes out either front or back jets. Quick modification of the outlet valve as per the following youtube, and I'm back in action.

Clio sport 172 ph2
i no this thread is rather old but want to say thanks for actually writing it in good detail and also the pictures instead of taking god knows how long took half an hour with a wiper would't move but thanks again!!!!

PH2 172
wiper removal tool b.jpg wiper removal tool a.jpg
i no this thread is rather old but want to say thanks for actually writing it in good detail and also the pictures instead of taking god knows how long took half an hour with a wiper would't move but thanks again!!!!

I`ve had one of these for some time,supplied by Cromwell Tools local branch.It was about £12 if I remember correctly.

Correct screen washer & headlight pump for PH2 172/182 sports is http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161778925....l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT#ht_856wt_958 with 90 degree elbow.

Anybody know part number for pump/bottle seal that OP needed to replace.
7705002060 suggested on another thread is incorrect & for non sport vertical push in pumps.

In true Haynes manual tradition,removing the 3 10mm headed 6mm bolts that retain the wiper motor/linkage assembly is easy.Extracting the assembly from the scuttle and reinstalling it is not,involving lots of rotation & angle adjustment.

If the pics don`t appear in the correct position in the post,someone please school me.

Jon46

ClioSport Club Member
  BG FF 182
Bit of a thread rebirth.....sorry ;)

Are both the pumps the same? Got problems with rear & headlights.

I'm planning on taking it all apart then blasting the pipes with an airline, see if it clears any blockages. While I've got it all apart, I might aswell fit 2 new pumps.

Thanks

172 Ph2
Just wanted to thank the OP for this.
I had to repair my washer bottle today, and would never have noticed that lug for the mechanism.
So saved me pulling it apart again.:up:

Clio II 172
Had to totally remove the washer pump because the washer bottle decided to leak. Here is how you remove the bottle to get full access to the pumps.

I have done a similar guide on how to replace the motors without removing the wiper mechanism. See the guides section.

First you'll need the following:

10mm socket
13 mm socket
Socket extension.

1.. Remove the wipers by doing the following. Remove the caps and undo the 13mm nuts. Then an 18mm spanner can help at this stage, but not vital to persuade the wipers off. They will come off! (old pic)

View attachment 148389

2.. Will look like this:

View attachment 148390

3.. Scuttle panels off (think that's what they are called). Remove seal along the top of the engine bay (foamy/rubber strip). Right side then left. Couple of plastic clips in the middle and at either end.

View attachment 148391

4.. This is the wiper mechanism. This needs to be removed to get the washer bottle out:

View attachment 148392

5.. Undo the 3 nuts using a 10mm socket. Only 3 nuts. 2 towards the left hand side and one to the far right:

View attachment 148393

6.. Unclip the wiper motor power and remove the whole lot from car:

View attachment 148394

7.. Remove the 10mm nut holding in the washer bottle:

View attachment 148395

8.. You'll be able to get at the motors now. You'll need to disconnect the power supplies etc. It's pretty obvious:

View attachment 148396

9.. Replace the broken item, in my case it was one of the rubber washers, all this for this tiny part....

View attachment 148397

10.. Because this is such a pain to get to I filled the washer bottle half full to check for leaks! Seems to have sorted it:

View attachment 148398

11.. Washer bottle sorted. To put back together is everything above in reverse BUT.. and this is why I love CS. If you miss this part you'll be there for days (well I would have been!!), but a quick search on CS I found this:

When you are putting the wipers back they MUST go back on the peg. It looks like this:

View attachment 148399

.. and this hole needs to go on it looks like this:

View attachment 148400

12.. Once the wiper mechanism is back and in the right place on its peg it really is just replace the plastics, wipers and this seal thing that I've just found a pic of:

View attachment 148401

Taa dahh! I can clean my windscreen now! :cool:
Same problem here. Where can I get the rubber from?