ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

guide to changing rear disks

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
as above, got some new disks minus the abs rings etc

need to fit them but i dont even know where to start lol

DrR

ClioSport Club Member
  VW Golf GTD
It's not lol, need powerful presses to push them into the new disks, and thats if you get the old ones out without breaking them.

LY 182
(with a decent press)getting them out is dead easy never broken one yet-but i dont like re using bearings and try not to do it if i can get away with it. as when you press the inner race of a bearing the grease trys to hydraulic force the dust seal off of the bearing.
also the abs rings i've never done them on a clio only renault 5's (same disc set up just no abs) and renault traffic vans with abs, if the rings are the same pressed on type as the traffic vans depending on how rusty they are they lever off dead easy.
i tend to heat them up if they look like they are going to cause problems

AMV8, Mk1 Golf
well it was the difference of £150 or free mintex ones, i dont think they have the bearings in,

job for GDI then on that one lol

2002/02 172
Did mine yesterday, bearings WOULD NOT come out of the old discs, with my home garage kit anyway. Pressing the new bearings into the new discs wasn't easy either, had to cut the old disc in half to get the old bearing outer race to use as a drift. Then lots of hammer!!

ABS ring, heat a bit and lever off with a screwdriver.

Lots of Alfas
As above the abs ring will lever off. The bearing will be destryed if your trying to remove them. Best to buy some and pay a mechanic a tenner to press them in. Are the mintex ones anygood as I get mintex stuff for free too!?