ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Guide Request: Front brakes...

Looking for a quide to changing front brakes. I looked in the quide section and there is not one there or I missed it.

Also is there a quide to changing the brake lines?

Thanks Mat.

PS. Its a 172 Ph1

SLK 350
There is a guide yes mate.

I've just finished doing mine about 5 minutes ago, piece of pish you don't even need a guide.

1. Take the wheel off.
2. Remove the bottom 13mm bolt on the carrier, loosen the top one a few turns. You'll need a 17mm spanner to hold the larger bolt or it will just turn with the 13mm.
3. Lift carrier up, remove pads & shims.
4. Insert new shims, and pads.
5. Use a G-Clamp to force the piston back so there's room for the carrier to drop back into place.
6. Screw the 13mm bolt back into the bottom.
7. Tighten the top 13mm again.
8. Wheel back on.

Tools requires:

1x G-Clamp
1x 13mm spanner
1x 17mm spanner
19mm socket for wheel nuts

Good to have:

Hammer, to bang old pads with a screwdriver.

Time:

40 minutes - 1 hour.

Brake pads....Done

all you need to do once youve done step 3 look on the back of the caliper and you will see 2 17mm iirc bolts,undo them and caliper will come off.then 2 torx bolts hold the disc on and thats it,bolt on new 1 then go back to the steps above

So those two torx builts, the ones through the disc, is there a trick to getting them off or will I need to find a freindly mechnic?

I had everything off but the disc and can not get the torx bolts undone?

Thanks Mat.

sounds like you need more leverage

More leverage, but that may break/snap the the torx screws:(

(I rounded off the torx screw head on my standard discs upon removal for the brembo Maxes, so i just hammered to next size up torx bit onto the screw head and out it came) :)

Maybe some heat with a wee blow torch could help :)

But not too much.

Not as if it'd matter if your scrapping the old discs and they get warped.

Martin_172

ClioSport Club Member
just give the torx heads a few hard whacks with a hammer and the shock should loosen it, if that fails heat it, when its heated (and expanded) they seem easyer to get out when it cools, thats what i had to do for mine

Tried everythink, heating, whacking, screwing, humping! In the end drove it down the local garage and it was stuck in good and proper so it was attacked with a drill bit.

On too me next issue on the other side the rubber protecting the piston is not attached proper so the piston is not protected from the elements, other then removing the entire piston any ideas how I can refit it?

Mat.