ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

GT5

Cookie

ClioSport Club Member
What cars you all started with? Is it pretty much EK9 or nothing?

You could start out with something used I suppose, which is all you were allowed to do in previous GT games iirc. I guess this time they wanted to show off the premium cars straight away so let you start with 20k

I want to do more off road racing, like the Focus ST licence test in that National A licence

Facelift R53 Cooper S
I had a brief look and for the money it is about the best car available, especially as you can't buy above level 0.

My mate bought a used FTO, lol, mug.

Listerine & Poledo
..... you start with 20k

I want to do more off road racing, like the Focus ST licence test in that National A licence

Sod that! I spent a good 5 seconds viilently spinning whees, but still walked away with a Silver.

I had a brief look and for the money it is about the best car available, especially as you can't buy above level 0.

My mate bought a used FTO, lol, mug.

heavily used Silvia FTW! (not that I've even used it yet, probably just going to sell it once MK.2 MX-5's are unlocked, it could go some way towards paying for the supercharger!

Peugeot 308
I started with a MR2, 130odd bhp.... was actually a pretty good car.

Then I read on here that I could get an EK9, so ditched the mr2 and spent another 50k on the EK9 :D

TBH, im happy with the game. I like the fact that the car feels very different with every mod I do to it, and how it 'feels' trying to put down 350bhp @ 9200rpm now!

Quite realistic!

Golf R soon...
I bought the FTO just cause it had a bit of power. Got about 50k in the bank so its time to change or turbo the FTO ;)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Ok, so I played this for a fair few hours last night. First impression are that it looks EPIC, like seriously nice. With a Premium car on a new track, it's stunning. Going back to Forza 3 later, online, was like a step back in time.

Also, the menus are brilliant and the music is awesomely Japanese. <3

The replays are a thing of beauty. With a Premium car, they could be real! Gobsmacking. The Premium EK9 I used was giving me the horn.

But... (you knew this was coming)

THe graphics of the Standard cars are below par. The shut lines are just drawn on, like in GT4. The shading and reflections are a mess (sometimes the whole car is one big mirror for a few seconds). The pre-race shots of the car look terrible on them, too. The EK9 and S2000, to name a few, have a flickering shadow under the door mirrors almost constantly. :dapprove:

The sound of the cars is terrible. An EK9 sounds like a blender, and the R8 V8 sounds so digitised it's a joke. As do many others. No real surprise, as GT games have never been strong in this area.

The handling is 95% identical to Prologue. Epic understeer in 9/10 cars, regardless of drivetrain, then swapping to snap oversteer quicker than you can say 'I hate this pad' ...Gutted. :dapprove:

The damage is better than I thought, if I'm honest. The Standard cars only scuff and scrape, which is a bit sh*t, but not a deal breaker. The Premiums deform pretty well, but it takes a full-on, 100mph head-on collision to get a dent. Not great.

Then there's the AI. Oh, the AI. Or lack thereof. It's just not good enough, end of. If you spin out, other cars will just mindlessly pile into you without braking or flinching. They'll also keep accelerating into you if you're blocking their path. They're that dim-witted. Again, not great.

It'll sell in millions, and be declared a success because of that. But IMO, it's a hastily updated GT4 with amazing visuals on 1/5th of the cars. Not something you'd expect after six years of development.

I've owned every GT game, sinking hundreds of hours into them, and I held onto my PS3 for this title, so don't tar me with the 'Forza Fanboy Brush' because I wanted this to be as good as it should've been.

UR R26R.5, VW Golf R
Ok, so I played this for a fair few hours last night. First impression are that it looks EPIC, like seriously nice. With a Premium car on a new track, it's stunning. Going back to Forza 3 later, online, was like a step back in time.

Also, the menus are brilliant and the music is awesomely Japanese. <3

The replays are a thing of beauty. With a Premium car, they could be real! Gobsmacking. The Premium EK9 I used was giving me the horn.

But... (you knew this was coming)

THe graphics of the Standard cars are below par. The shut lines are just drawn on, like in GT4. The shading and reflections are a mess (sometimes the whole car is one big mirror for a few seconds). The pre-race shots of the car look terrible on them, too. The EK9 and S2000, to name a few, have a flickering shadow under the door mirrors almost constantly. :dapprove:

The sound of the cars is terrible. An EK9 sounds like a blender, and the R8 V8 sounds so digitised it's a joke. As do many others. No real surprise, as GT games have never been strong in this area.

The handling is 95% identical to Prologue. Epic understeer in 9/10 cars, regardless of drivetrain, then swapping to snap oversteer quicker than you can say 'I hate this pad' ...Gutted. :dapprove:

The damage is better than I thought, if I'm honest. The Standard cars only scuff and scrape, which is a bit sh*t, but not a deal breaker. The Premiums deform pretty well, but it takes a full-on, 100mph head-on collision to get a dent. Not great.

Then there's the AI. Oh, the AI. Or lack thereof. It's just not good enough, end of. If you spin out, other cars will just mindlessly pile into you without braking or flinching. They'll also keep accelerating into you if you're blocking their path. They're that dim-witted. Again, not great.

It'll sell in millions, and be declared a success because of that. But IMO, it's a hastily updated GT4 with amazing visuals on 1/5th of the cars. Not something you'd expect after six years of development.

I've owned every GT game, sinking hundreds of hours into them, and I held onto my PS3 for this title, so don't tar me with the 'Forza Fanboy Brush' because I wanted this to be as good as it should've been.

Almost identical comments to those of my mate who's had the game a couple of days. He says you simply cannot play the game with a pad - it's crying out for a wheel, just to get the feedback. The full damage model is apparently unlocked at level 10 - but obviously on the Premium cars only, so you're basically stuck with the standard cars. He has also showed me a few shots of the jaggies and lack of detail on the standard cars, and some of them are truly gobsmacking, TBH, especially from a next generation console. Also, he's tested the AI and they tend to stick to the same racing line regardless of the situation. He also shares the same thoughts on the sound, and wonders why so much effort went into the detailing in photo/replay mode and not a sausage in the sound department.

He has said the more you play it, the better it gets, but only with the Premium cars. He's wrote off (excuse the pun) the Standard models, now, and refuses to use them unless it's a necessity.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
If it featured 800 Premiums and 200 Standards, then I wouldn't really care.

But because the Premiums look so good, it highlights how bad the Standards look. That's what pissed me off. LOL.

I'm guessing that Sony's money well ran dry, leaving Kaz to cobble together the best he could. That's the impression you get from playing it.

Citroen DS3 DSport
If you spin the AI is pretty useless and will simply slam into you but when passing other cars I have found the AI cars are good at adopting a new line rather than side swiping me. When using a wheel the car control and physics are excellent.

I don't mind using standard cars when needed, they are not as visually appealing as the premium cars but not terrible either.

1.6 Ford Focus
Anyone got the top gear camper challenge done? It seams like the only way to win is by making it a late braking competition, in which case you will either crash into another car and get disqualified or skid off the track and get disqualified.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
I was going to say, those comments are at odds with most reviews, esp regarding the physics. I'll have a bash later and tomorrow. But these games demand a wheel. F1 was 200% improved by using a wheel, I couldn't play it with a pad.

Maybe that's why I've never got on with Forza, 99% of my experience has been with a pad. And pads are cack lol.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Two questions.
  1. Is it good enough to go and spend £350 (ps3, gt5, decent wheel) i will ONLY be playing this game.
  2. Is online better than that hillarious demo game they produced?

Citroen DS3 DSport
Anyone got the top gear camper challenge done? It seams like the only way to win is by making it a late braking competition, in which case you will either crash into another car and get disqualified or skid off the track and get disqualified.

Yeah I finished that easily enough on my second attempt, the Elise round on the other hand is a pain in the ass and I keep getting disqualified. I'm sure the TG track is a ice rink when driving the Lotus.

Listerine & Poledo
Never mind the Top gear dronefest, the Karting challenge is simple yet annoying.

I'd put it down to the pad/wheel issue though. I may only have drien corporate karts, but I've never seen any kart swap ends so easily, even when I've tried driving a kart with "digital" inputs (brake or not, full throttle or not)

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
Two questions.
  1. Is it good enough to go and spend £350 (ps3, gt5, decent wheel) i will ONLY be playing this game.

Not even close. It plays exactly like Prologue, if that's what you're on about.

I've got a PS3 and I'm not buying it. :dapprove:

Citroen DS3 DSport
Two questions.

I think online should be fantastic and really sell the game but when I tried it last night things were not running very well and froze my PS3. Hopefully the online servers should be fully functional today now that the game is officially released. £350 does sound alot though to play one game.

Tom

ClioSport Club Member
  EV (s)
Thought so. Thankfully my brother has the whole wheel/ps3/50inch setup so i'll have to go to his.

Is the ring any good on it? (If someone who has been could answer that question that would be great)

1.6 Ford Focus
Yeah I finished that easily enough on my second attempt, the Elise round on the other hand is a pain in the ass and I keep getting disqualified. I'm sure the TG track is a ice rink when driving the Lotus.

What position did you finish in? Im about half way through the grid by the first lap and always end up getting disqualified at the hammer head trying to overtake the last few cars.

Never mind the Top gear dronefest, the Karting challenge is simple yet annoying.

I'd put it down to the pad/wheel issue though. I may only have drien corporate karts, but I've never seen any kart swap ends so easily, even when I've tried driving a kart with "digital" inputs (brake or not, full throttle or not)

I found the karting quite easy, I finished both the events on beginner mode in first place. The thing is easy to spin but I managed to hold it quite well, sideways around the corners.

ForceIndia

ClioSport Club Member
  Gentlemans spec 200
Thought so. Thankfully my brother has the whole wheel/ps3/50inch setup so i'll have to go to his.

Is the ring any good on it? (If someone who has been could answer that question that would be great)

I've not been, but know a few that have. All say that the layout is spot on, but you don't get the elevation changes and dips etc that exist in reality. Good for learning the layout, but that's all.

Citroen DS3 DSport
What position did you finish in? Im about half way through the grid by the first lap and always end up getting disqualified at the hammer head trying to overtake the last few cars.

I found the karting quite easy, I finished both the events on beginner mode in first place. The thing is easy to spin but I managed to hold it quite well, sideways around the corners.

I finished in 1st place on the TG track challenge.

Karting is good and using the wheel you get plenty of force feedback warning before it will spin on you.

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
TBH, all the tracks are brilliant. Loved them all.

The TG Test Track is amazing. As is the big test track with multiple layouts (I can't recall the name)

Facelift R53 Cooper S
Ok this game is abit ridiculous, I'm tearing round in a Mazda Demio which I won from somewhere (gotta keep the miles off the EK9 don'cha know :eek: ) and I haven't lost a race in it yet. I've come across Megane 225's, DC5 Integra's, Accord Euro R's and even an Alfa 3.0 GTV and i've spanked all of them I this Mazda Demio which I haven't tuned or anything.

I'd like to be able to pin this to my immaculate driving but come on, it's abit far fetched!

330i, Alfa 147 & SP1
Over an hour and still not played.

Booted console up

FW update
t&C update
Gt5 update
Gt5 install

Approx 20 minutes install..................... 25 minutes ago!

Citroen DS3 DSport
I think the initial races are deliberately easy to win no matter which car you choose and will not get harder or more realistic until your Level increases.

Turbo'd MX-5 MK4
Over an hour and still not played.

Booted console up

FW update
t&C update
Gt5 update
Gt5 install

Approx 20 minutes install..................... 25 minutes ago!

Gotta love the PS3, I rarely touch mine and when I do this usually happens.