ClioSport.net

Register a free account today to become a member!
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• When you purchase through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission. Read more here.

Growing up sucks!

A slow one :-(
About 4 weeks ago I traded my 172 Cup in for a 1.2 Clio Dynamique.

The Cup was costing me too much to run as things were going wrong with it left right and center. I'm also conscious that I should probably consider getting on the housing market! I nearly got a 05 182 with 11k miles on the clock but for the same price I got a 57 plate 1.2 with 50 miles on the clock. The idea is I keep the 1.2 and use it as a daily driver and run it into the ground. Then when I've bought buy a Ph1 172 for weekend usage!

I'm already saving over 10 quid a week on petrol, its so much easier to drive in rush hour traffic and alot quieter! Not to mention insurance and tax savings!

Anyhows I put a quick layer of Collie on when I first got it. It's had a quick clean here and there but tonight I was home early and the weather was lush so thought I'd crack a layer of P21S on to it.

Anyhows here are some photos of both cars:

dscf0166.jpg

dscf0149.jpg

dscf0162.jpg

DSCF0340.jpg

DSCF0352.jpg

DSCF0351.jpg

DSCF0339.jpg

DSCF0345.jpg

DSCF0348.jpg

Sorry photo quality aint great on the new one!

BMW M4; S1000 RR
Not meaning to sound rude, but wouldn't it have been smarter to buy an old cheap car to run into the ground..

It's not like a 5 year old car is going to break down every week.

123D Coupe + MK1 MX5
I'd kill myself now, i really would.

Nah wouldnt worry too much mate, you'll get used to it in no time, besides, owning a fast car isnt the only thing important in the world...

oh wait....

I've had it now for 4 weeks and tbh I don't miss the Cup... it only ever got driven too and from work.

I did consider getting an older car but I might as well of kept the Cup if that were the case!

Marky_

ClioSport Club Member
Not meaning to sound rude, but wouldn't it have been smarter to buy an old cheap car to run into the ground..

Aye. Wasn't expecting pics of a mk3 at all!

Maybe its just me but every car I've bought 2nd hand has started going tits up at 70k miles.

I don't fancy doing my 70 mile round commute in something that I don't know if its going to start in the morning. It's all swings and roundabouts I guess.

Audi TT 3.2 V6
hmmmm im not sure how i can see a much newer car which has a higher purchse price being cheaper in the long run

the 172 will have already taken its biggest hit on depreciation were as the 1.2 will still have a big hit to take

Last edited:

Fletcher

ClioSport Club Member

Maybe its just me but every car I've bought 2nd hand has started going tits up at 70k miles.

I don't fancy doing my 70 mile round commute in something that I don't know if its going to start in the morning. It's all swings and roundabouts I guess.

Your right about it costing a lot of money when they reach 70K, well mine did anyway :dapprove:

She's running great now though [touches wood] nearly on 90k :)

320d
Long time no see mate

As much as I love cars and always will, a house is so much better, i know you'll have done the maths

Come along to the next meet

BMW M4; S1000 RR

French cars maybe, but a 2003 Ford Focus for instance would be a few k to buy, doubt that would go wrong.

Chocolate Bar™
to be honest i had a 1.2 just like that as a hire car for a few weeks and i hated it! migth have just been because it was a hire car but it was awful. It was so sluggish and handled like a dog. Was so bad I chopped it in for an aygo which was absolutly awesome! much more fun and nippy to drive.

Looks like a nice car but think i would have got an aygo instead (no matter how gay it would make me look ;))

Christopher

ClioSport Club Member
  Z4M
to be honest i had a 1.2 just like that as a hire car for a few weeks and i hated it! migth have just been because it was a hire car but it was awful. It was so sluggish and handled like a dog. Was so bad I chopped it in for an aygo which was absolutly awesome! much more fun and nippy to drive.

Looks like a nice car but think i would have got an aygo instead (no matter how gay it would make me look ;))

+1

I really like them! They should remake the Glanza, using the Aygo as a base. lol

visualize whirled pe
I think it looks ok tbh. So long as you are planning on keeping the car a sensible amount of time then the depreciation is nothing to be concerned about.

When you buy a house you will be more interested in that anyway so having a decent new car to do the commute in that isnt going to cost a fortune to run and be less hassle is a wize move.

MKIII 138
When you buy a house you will be more interested in that anyway

this is true, you and your partner (your not a benny are you ?) will enjoy making changes and getting your home how you like, perhaps a easy renovation project is on the cards. you can get your home entertainment upto scratch aswell.
there is more to life than a fast car and at least you have made the right long term decision, you will have a house long after the die hard car nutters can afford to run a sporty car in this uk tax climate, in fact its low running costs will make it more desireble in a few years compared with say a 197.

still having said all that ive bought my second home both renovation projects and even though i went off the boil on cars for a year i still couldnt bring myself to not blow £5000 on a R26 and sell the 225 lol :D

maybe next time.....

a slate roof over your head is better than a metal one ;)

Ali

V6, Trackhawk, GTS
Unlucky... When i bought the flat i had to give up hookers, drugs and gambling. Tragic.

Turbos.
I really don't get why you did that... you are aware you can buy aftermarket warranties for used cars, right?

How much money did you have to spend on the 1.2 after selling the Cup?

BMW M135i

Thats my thinking as well, plenty of choice that would've been a lot cheaper. And left a bit of cash for a deposit etc?

Family Bus
Both cars look lovely....not as keen on the new clio dynamiques tbh.

Would have personally been very sad to see the cup go....Id struggle to go back to a 1.2 or even a 1.4 (unless it was a golf fsi lol) now tbh!

Clio
The amount of depreciation on the new car will be massive? I'm not really understanding how your saving :S short term £10 a week and £10 a month on tax, apart from that its losing money quicker than nympho in a ***** house.

Iridium

Honorary Member
ClioSport Club Member
  Former R27 & Mk1 V6 owner
Weird logic. I'd rather spend money on maintaining and running the Cup than paying for the depreciation on a 1.2 to be honest.

But, your money, your call :)

Dan